Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 SR+ 2022 Sound System upgrade - Possible?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Awesome picture! Could you elaborate more on what you mean by certain speakers “ are present , but not activated “ is that because of the removal of that center adjacent tweeter they removed ?
Since always on the SR+/Model 3 there are speakers installed and wired but which are not connected to an amplifier.
What is new is the removal of the tweeter in the center of the dashboard, including on the LR/Performance.
I have not compared but the removal of a tweeter seems to respond to an economy and not to the improvement of the audio system as Tesla claims!

Awesome picture! Could you elaborate more on what you mean by certain speakers “ are present , but not activated “ is that because of the removal of that center adjacent tweeter they removed ?
Since always on the SR+/Model 3 there are speakers installed and wired but which are not connected to an amplifier.
What is new is the removal of the tweeter in the center of the dashboard, including on the LR/Performance.
I have not compared but the removal of a tweeter seems to respond to an economy and not to the improvement of the audio system as Tesla claims!

They need brackets that come from either Audioliphe.com or ampedgarage.com. They will also need a wire harness which both make as well. I used the AmpedGarage ones as they were available at that point in time. It isn't exactly a high volume business and they run small batches on a 3D printer.
Do you know if the ampedgarage bracket fit the infinity’s? Since they list it as test fitted for the Faitals.

Do you know if the ampedgarage bracket fit the infinity’s? Since they list it as test fitted for the Faitals.
I needed to widen the opening on them a bit so the Infinities would fit flush. I used a utility knife and Dremel with a sanding bit to do it and it didn't take long. The hole patterns are the same so nothing needed to be done with those. The other thing though was that one of the "ears" needed to be cut because it interfered with the grill cover going back on (on the passenger side) and I think it was both the driver and the bracket that needed cutting. You are NOT cutting anything original on the car though, just the replacement parts to make them fit. And then I also needed to trim an ear on the center driver too, also it interfered with grill cover. Just call me Vincent!

Interesting.
Of course, it's probably one of those things where if you "activate" them, it will void the warranty, or something of the sort.
I'd be to check the fine prints of all the manuals, etc.
From what I understand and heard about the warranties as long as you don't cut wiring the warranty is intact. I guess maybe it would be called using their plug to add and activate the rest of the system.

I needed to widen the opening on them a bit so the Infinities would fit flush. I used a utility knife and Dremel with a sanding bit to do it and it didn't take long. The hole patterns are the same so nothing needed to be done with those. The other thing though was that one of the "ears" needed to be cut because it interfered with the grill cover going back on (on the passenger side) and I think it was both the driver and the bracket that needed cutting. You are NOT cutting anything original on the car though, just the replacement parts to make them fit. And then I also needed to trim an ear on the center driver too, also it interfered with grill cover. Just call me Vincent!
Hello Zacster, i am about to make exactly the same modification than yours this WE (Focals and Infinities). My ampedgarage brackets fit perfectly, maybe they have changed since you bought them. Can you explain furthermore which ears and driver did you have to cut ? When you say the driver, do you mean the metal ear of the driver ? Finally, what do you think of your new sound after several months ?

When I did mine the AmpedGarage brackets were specifically being made for a different driver, the Faital 4032 I believe. The inside circle of the bracket was just slightly too small for the Infinity driver, and I just made it big enough. As for the ears, I don't remember specifically which ears, but it was on the passenger side for one, and then the center driver. The problem with the center driver is that it meant I had to remove it after installing it and that was a lot of trouble because the screw closest to the windshield doesn't have much room for a tool to get in. I would recommend that you omit that screw and try putting the grill back on to see which part gets in the way and then remove the ear and fully put it back together. Cutting the ears off is easy, they are just plastic. I'm not sure if I really cut the driver's ear too, I just don't remember.

I am still very pleased with the sound. It is much more focused, the bass is deeper, and not shrill like the Tesla drivers were. I don't know who decided the Tesla speakers sounded good but to my ears they were terrible. It also helps to use a decent source. I don't know if Tidal is available to you in France but that is the best to use that is native to the car. I used Qobuz (from France) through a browser and that too sounded great, but only while parked.

Good luck doing the work. I managed to make it work and you can't see that I ever touched it. Take it slow and you'll be fine.

When I did mine the AmpedGarage brackets were specifically being made for a different driver, the Faital 4032 I believe. The inside circle of the bracket was just slightly too small for the Infinity driver, and I just made it big enough. As for the ears, I don't remember specifically which ears, but it was on the passenger side for one, and then the center driver. The problem with the center driver is that it meant I had to remove it after installing it and that was a lot of trouble because the screw closest to the windshield doesn't have much room for a tool to get in. I would recommend that you omit that screw and try putting the grill back on to see which part gets in the way and then remove the ear and fully put it back together. Cutting the ears off is easy, they are just plastic. I'm not sure if I really cut the driver's ear too, I just don't remember.

I am still very pleased with the sound. It is much more focused, the bass is deeper, and not shrill like the Tesla drivers were. I don't know who decided the Tesla speakers sounded good but to my ears they were terrible. It also helps to use a decent source. I don't know if Tidal is available to you in France but that is the best to use that is native to the car. I used Qobuz (from France) through a browser and that too sounded great, but only while parked.

Good luck doing the work. I managed to make it work and you can't see that I ever touched it. Take it slow and you'll be fine.
Thank you very much Zacster. All went good and I am happy with the result. I managed not to break any of the doors clips. For the Infinities dash speakers, I have also used the AmpedGarage Faital adapters, which strangely perfectly fitted for me. I cut several speakers and brackets ears (another vocation as a painter ?) , sometimes the wrong ones... and the grill was still in conflict. I didn't want to remove the painfully screwed speakers, so I cut the reverse side of the grill with my Dremel. Nothing is apparent when mounted. Thank you for all your messages that gave me the inspiration and the method !