Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vendor Tesla Model 3 SR+ Dyno Test. Faster than LR RWD?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

MountainPass

Global Vendor
Mar 2, 2018
Toronto, Canada
Listings
The day we picked up our new SR+, we had a little fun on the highway and noticed the cars seemed dead even, with the SR+ possibly being faster at higher speeds. Since we have an in-house dyno, what else is there to do than get it loaded up and see for ourselves!

Here is a graph from the article showing how the SR+ produces power at different SOC, but you'll have to read more to see how it compares to the LR!

Tesla Model 3 SR+ Dyno Testing

Tesla-Model-3-SR-SOC-Dyno-Test.jpg

Reactions: TomB985
I own an SR+ and 3P+ and while the M3P is noticeably quicker I am always impressed at how quick the SR+ feels. On the road I think the RWD and 400lb weight reduction over the nose of the SR+/LR RWD really makes a difference in the handling. The RWD cars almost feel like mid-engine cars in terms of balance and change direction pretty quick. However, the 3P acceleration is pretty violent. I love acceleration but I think I am getting to the point where this is about all I need. ;)

Reactions: Arpe and dfwatt
I own an SR+ and 3P+ and while the M3P is noticeably quicker I am always impressed at how quick the SR+ feels. On the road I think the RWD and 400lb weight reduction over the nose of the SR+/LR RWD really makes a difference in the handling. The RWD cars almost feel like mid-engine cars in terms of balance and change direction pretty quick. However, the 3P acceleration is pretty violent. I love acceleration but I think I am getting to the point where this is about all I need. ;)

Yes . . . . what used to be called the 'loud pedal' calls out to you to mash the s*** out of it.:p:p:p And you just can't resist. We are all infected with the same addiction to this wicked, silent but brutal acceleration.

Reactions: willow_hiller
I feel the same. I tested the LR RWD first. Then a few weeks later the 3P+. I went with the 3P+, but my mind always thinks about how well the RWD handled and the tighter turning angle and thus tighter turning circle.

But then I also love how the Dual Motor claws its way through a corner when you apply power on exit.

Sometimes I wish I never tested the 3P+ because the RWD already felt silly fast to begin with and you get the extra range to boot.

Reactions: raptor5244
One more body of proof that someone needs to develop a taller gear ratio for the RWD model 3’s for track use. Yes, I am aware that the 0-60 will be slower and that the 1/4 mile might be slower. But, it would help on a road course. It might even improve the range when street driving.

• Informative
Reactions: willow_hiller
I feel the same. I tested the LR RWD first. Then a few weeks later the 3P+. I went with the 3P+, but my mind always thinks about how well the RWD handled and the tighter turning angle and thus tighter turning circle.

But then I also love how the Dual Motor claws its way through a corner when you apply power on exit.

Sometimes I wish I never tested the 3P+ because the RWD already felt silly fast to begin with and you get the extra range to boot.

Exactly, for brutal acceleration and slingshotting out of a corner the 3P+ is awesome but if you appreciate handling the RWD cars feel better without the weight of the front motor. If they made a performance version of the RWD that would be my choice. Just stick the 980 rear motor from the 3P and upgraded inverter in the LR RWD, put a set of 19's with 265 wide rubber on it and call it day.

Reactions: MoreAgain
Exactly, for brutal acceleration and slingshotting out of a corner the 3P+ is awesome but if you appreciate handling the RWD cars feel better without the weight of the front motor. If they made a performance version of the RWD that would be my choice. Just stick the 980 rear motor from the 3P and upgraded inverter in the LR RWD, put a set of 19's with 265 wide rubber on it and call it day.

It already has the 980 motor! I do wonder what power the P cars get out of the rear motor vs the RWD.

I have to say I HATE the P nomenclature around here and it needs to stop. What's wrong with SR, LR, Performance, Performance stealth?
Venting aside, what is the difference between a standard range & standard range+?
SR is just a nerfed SR+, software lock the range and speed a little, along with some other things like heated seats and some of the speakers.

One more body of proof that someone needs to develop a taller gear ratio for the RWD model 3’s for track use. Yes, I am aware that the 0-60 will be slower and that the 1/4 mile might be slower. But, it would help on a road course. It might even improve the range when street driving.
That is easy ... just mount bigger tires, say 235/35R22... same thing as a taller gearing of 8.1:1 (instead of 9:1).