TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Vendor Tesla Model 3 SR+ Dyno Test. Faster than LR RWD?

Discussion in 'Model 3: Driving Dynamics' started by MountainPass, Aug 22, 2019.

1. MountainPass

MountainPass Vendor

The day we picked up our new SR+, we had a little fun on the highway and noticed the cars seemed dead even, with the SR+ possibly being faster at higher speeds. Since we have an in-house dyno, what else is there to do than get it loaded up and see for ourselves!

Here is a graph from the article showing how the SR+ produces power at different SOC, but you'll have to read more to see how it compares to the LR!

Tesla Model 3 SR+ Dyno Testing

[​IMG]

• Like x 1
  2. jkcheng122

jkcheng122 Member

If true maybe LR RWD will get another boost to be ahead? Where does the figure into this comparison? It should be LR < LR+ < MR < LR RWD < LR AWD < people I'm jealous of that get to own a P3D.

3. scenicroadways

Good news for us SR+ owners, very interesting!

4. mcbarnet007

mcbarnet007 Member

Thanks for the dyno. I think SR+ will be very popular with most buyer given the nice flat power curve. Tesla has the formula dialed in and I doubt they will make SR+ faster than RWD long range.

5. willow_hiller

willow_hiller Active Member

Just to answer the question posed in the title, the answer is: "Maybe, at certain SOC"?

Also, is the flat part of the torque curve due to battery constraints, or is that possibly software locked?

6. raptor5244

raptor5244 Member

I own an SR+ and 3P+ and while the M3P is noticeably quicker I am always impressed at how quick the SR+ feels. On the road I think the RWD and 400lb weight reduction over the nose of the SR+/LR RWD really makes a difference in the handling. The RWD cars almost feel like mid-engine cars in terms of balance and change direction pretty quick. However, the 3P acceleration is pretty violent. I love acceleration but I think I am getting to the point where this is about all I need. ;)

• Like x 2
  7. willow_hiller

willow_hiller Active Member

8. dfwatt

dfwatt Active Member

Yes . . . . what used to be called the 'loud pedal' calls out to you to mash the s*** out of it.:p:p:p And you just can't resist. We are all infected with the same addiction to this wicked, silent but brutal acceleration.

• Like x 1
  9. GregRF

GregRF Squirrel Power

Is this an updated Dyno on the LR RWD? I don’t think we ever saw an update after the 5% power boost.

• Like x 1
  10. Sanny

Sanny Member

Interesting. Will swapping the invertors from LR be a thing to tune SR+ power or it doesn't make sense without a firmware?

11. Orwell

Orwell Member

I feel the same. I tested the LR RWD first. Then a few weeks later the 3P+. I went with the 3P+, but my mind always thinks about how well the RWD handled and the tighter turning angle and thus tighter turning circle.

But then I also love how the Dual Motor claws its way through a corner when you apply power on exit.

Sometimes I wish I never tested the 3P+ because the RWD already felt silly fast to begin with and you get the extra range to boot.

• Like x 1
  12. AltLogic

AltLogic Member

One more body of proof that someone needs to develop a taller gear ratio for the RWD model 3’s for track use. Yes, I am aware that the 0-60 will be slower and that the 1/4 mile might be slower. But, it would help on a road course. It might even improve the range when street driving.

13. MountainPass

MountainPass Vendor

In our closed course shenanigans we found the two cars to be dead even from a stop.

• Informative x 1
  14. raptor5244

raptor5244 Member

Exactly, for brutal acceleration and slingshotting out of a corner the 3P+ is awesome but if you appreciate handling the RWD cars feel better without the weight of the front motor. If they made a performance version of the RWD that would be my choice. Just stick the 980 rear motor from the 3P and upgraded inverter in the LR RWD, put a set of 19's with 265 wide rubber on it and call it day.

• Like x 1
  15. GregRF

GregRF Squirrel Power

It already has the 980 motor! I do wonder what power the P cars get out of the rear motor vs the RWD.

16. raptor5244

raptor5244 Member

Good point. It must just be software limited then. I see the AWD cars started coming with the 990 motor. Not sure of the differences. It would be nice if Tesla would market the differences just like other manufactures do with their power trains.

17. XLR82XS

XLR82XS D M C

I have to say I HATE the P nomenclature around here and it needs to stop. What's wrong with SR, LR, Performance, Performance stealth?
    Venting aside, what is the difference between a standard range & standard range+?

18. Brady M

Brady M Member

SR is just a nerfed SR+, software lock the range and speed a little, along with some other things like heated seats and some of the speakers.

19. WarpedOne

WarpedOne Supreme Premier

That is easy ... just mount bigger tires, say 235/35R22... same thing as a taller gearing of 8.1:1 (instead of 9:1).

20. pawsonkeyboard

Yowza I know nothing about cars, everything in this thread went over my head. Can someone explain this graph/restofthread to me in jumbo crayola style? I'm brain damaged.

• Funny x 1