Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 SR+ with 100 mile round trip commute

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been doing a 50 mile RT commute in Seattle this winter with my SR+. I don't do anything in particular to try to conserve power - I run the heat, I drive fast on the highway (which is probably 80% of my commute), and I pulled off my aero wheel covers because I like the looks of the bare rims. In general I consume exactly 30% of my charge for the full commute, so I imagine you could use that as a fair upper limit of your consumption during cold weather - 60% per commute would be your upper limit.

I'm very comfortable using an SR+ for my commute. I'd be fine using it for a 100 mile RT commute, as well, but I'd want to make sure I could charge back up to 90% by the next morning. I do charge to 90%, and I don't like to regularly discharge below 20%, so the battery would handle the regular commute. I live in a city, so most of my errands involve fairly short distances which wouldn't eat more than 5% or so, but it might be different for you.

I personally love the SR+. As a motorcyclist, I like bikes that are comfortable sport tourers with great handling in the twisties, and the SR+ really hits all those same buttons for me. Yes, the range is less than the AWD versions and yes the 0-60 time is less, but it's a lighter car and I can feel the difference in steering.

You did mention worrying about accidents and bad weather, and I will say that slowdowns from accidents don't really seem to make a difference in my consumption. I'm "paying" more Wh/mi running the heater and stereo longer, but I'm saving some by traveling at slower speed. It seems to even out for me. Weather for me doesn't seem to make a huge difference, either. Heavy rain lowers my efficiency a bit, but the car is so aerodynamically slippery that wind doesn't really cause any issues I notice.

All that said, this is your car and your commute. 100 miles RT is a long commute, and the real world range of an SR+ in cold weather on the highway is more like 165 miles, so it's a bit tight for you. I'd personally be fine with a SR+ for your commute, but I can definitely see that a longer range battery would give some peace of mind.

• Helpful
Reactions: jdr93 and TomB985
Chalk me up as another SR+ owner who thinks you should go for it.

On the coldest of days when we go below 0° I lose more than half my range. But I have less efficient aftermarket wheels, snow tires, and keep my cabin at 78°. With Aero wheels any comfort of superchargers on the route, I would have no concerns whatsoever.

I also wouldn’t worry about deeply discharging the battery or charging to 100% as needed. I’ve seen a couple of cases of folks with over 100K miles on their 3 who routinely charge to 100% and discharge to single digits because of the miles they drive. Both showed little to no battery degradation.

Reactions: bnikel
I drive a 110 mile commute 5 days a week, and one day 180 miles, on SR+ no issues with range. On the day with the 180 mile drive I charge to 100%. I would have preferred to get the Long Range as well, but just like you it didn't make sense financially.
I think you'll be fine with the SR+.

no kids that are spare, that you can sell? spare organs?

(yeah, me neither)

kidding aside, I am looking for the right chance to upgrade to awd or even stealth, if that ever truly comes back. and because I am going to pay for an extra sell/re-buy, that will set me back more than if I had just bought the 'right' car to begin with. starting at base and then upgrading can be a much harder pill to swallow.

so, there's that, to consider.

60 miles round trip commute in Virginia,
~40% of the battery in winter, mostly at 75mph. I got the car recently so I floor it at every occasion.
And it's an SR (non +), you could shave ~$5k off and add autopilot later or extend the range by upgrading to SR+ if needed!

I honestly didnt know that was an “off the menu” option. Does the SR get the same EPA range as the SR+? (250miles)?

The plain off menu SR caps the battery and range at 220 miles. Don't do it, the front heated seats alone with that commute is worth the money.

Haha ok ok I wont. I didnt / dont know anything about it. I am pretty content with the loan / monthly payments on the SR+ it was right at the cusp of my price range for a car. I certainly dont want to reduce the range lol

Haha I think that poll exists. I seem to remember reading something like that. I think its a mix of people. Most wanting the perfor

Thank you so much! This made me feel much better!
Haha ok ok I wont. I didnt / dont know anything about it. I am pretty content with the loan / monthly payments on the SR+ it was right at the cusp of my price range for a car. I certainly dont want to reduce the range lol

I look at the stress factor. Are you going to be OK with cutting your energy “close” to some extent? Rang is likely not a problem, but range anxiety is a problem.

If range anxiety is going to be of issue, then $40K for an SR+ is not really worth it - especially since you can get a Civic in the low $20’s. When expenses become more manageable for you, spring for the Tesla.

I tend to be conservative financially, and also am subject to range anxiety. Either way, good luck.

I look at the stress factor. Are you going to be OK with cutting your energy “close” to some extent? Rang is likely not a problem, but range anxiety is a problem.

If range anxiety is going to be of issue, then $40K for an SR+ is not really worth it - especially since you can get a Civic in the low $20’s. When expenses become more manageable for you, spring for the Tesla.

I tend to be conservative financially, and also am subject to range anxiety. Either way, good luck.

From the looks of it so far, the majority of people on here seem to thing the range wont be an issue. If I have to pull off and charge once and a blue moon I am perfectly fine with that. We have a bigger SUV for longer trips so I am not super worried about it. I just wanted to make sure it was doable under normal summer and winter conditions but I do have supercharging options as well. I think the range anxiety will go away once I drive the car and see that it can handle my commute without an issue.

From the looks of it so far, the majority of people on here seem to thing the range wont be an issue. If I have to pull off and charge once and a blue moon I am perfectly fine with that. We have a bigger SUV for longer trips so I am not super worried about it. I just wanted to make sure it was doable under normal summer and winter conditions but I do have supercharging options as well. I think the range anxiety will go away once I drive the car and see that it can handle my commute without an issue.

You sound like range anxiety will not be a problem for you. Good. It will help to drive the car for a day - thanks to the people at your local Tesla. Winter will be the hardest on mileage, and winter is now! I'd wish you good luck, but I think you will be fine. Enjoy. A Model 3 is a great car, and a SR+ is more than fast enough, etc. for most people.

Reactions: bnikel
I have an SR+ and love it. I live in Florida and get 200 miles in real world driving at 90% SOC, but your mileage will vary with cold weather.

However, with a SC near work as an option, you will be fine. I assume you can charge at home every evening to 80-90%.

Don't stress if you cannot afford to upgrade right now. Stay within your budget.

In cold weather, I average been 270-280 Wh/mile on my work commute (around 60 miles of 70+mph interstate driving) in my SR+. Heater set at 70F and seat heater.

100miles in the same commute would consume around 28,000 Watts which is roughly 55-60% charge depending on battery degradation. Charge up to minimum 80% every night and you’ll be fine in the winter (will arrive back home in the 15-20% range depending on vampire/standby loss during the day).

In the summer, consumption should be lower in the 220-240 Wh/mi and it’ll definitely be fine.

I purchased mine as a commuter to replace a Prius - there was no need for the long range model, especially at a 10k price premium. $10,000 will pay for over 200,000 miles off driving the SR+.