Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 Standard Range

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What BEVs have you owned? Because this isn't a match with my experience, nor is it the general consensus if you head over to the Model S forum.

Model X 60D. Never once had I wished I had bought the 75D, even at the reduced upgrade price of $4500. The "general consensus" that you speak of regarding "buy the biggest battery you can afford" is probably true when you're actually talking about purchasing a physically larger battery. But a software locked battery is an entirely different story. A software locked battery gives you about 99.99% of the utility of the full sized battery at a cheaper cost.

But a software locked battery is an entirely different story. A software locked battery gives you about 99.99% of the utility of the full sized battery at a cheaper cost.

Tesla Model 3 Standard Range

And with a 240mi nominal range car I've gotten sub-10% a few times now, and very close others. That's times I'd gone to 100% SOC, so it was actual.

I'd be kicking myself in retrospect if I'd had a $1500 cheaper option, took it, and that cost me that 20 miles.

I thought on this one they were leaving a cell bank out of use, rather than creating the limit via V?

In any event, whether physically different or not, 20 miles is 20 miles, and it is real. However you choose to use it. Mental hang-ups on physical aspects that aren't the full definition of the function is anachronistic.
Do you have something to back up that they are doing it differently this time? Doesn't make a lot of sense to me as the disabled part can degrade and won't be able to upgrade later.
Another thing is charging speed. A physical 220mi will charge slower than 240mi, but a software one will have the same speed. The last 20mi is going to take forever.

Do you have something to back up that they are doing it differently this time?
Tesla quote, it was described as taking a group cells offline. I don't see it at the moment, and it could be simply mistaken, but it is possible.
Doesn't make a lot of sense to me as the disabled part can degrade and won't be able to upgrade later.
They could trickle a balancing load for a minimum maintenance in the background. When disconnected electrically most of the time the charge loss is going to be very, very slow. Nothing like "vampire drain". If they keep it in a 40%-70% range most of the time, if anything that bank would degrade a bit slower (depending on vehicle use).

That last paragraph is based on assuming a V based implementation. That's actually a pretty good way to test out how they implemented this, compare the charge curves of the SR+ to the SR+ packed SR. I haven't seen anyone post that stuff yet, is that data out there?

Tesla quote, it was described as taking a group cells offline. I don't see it at the moment, and it could be simply mistaken, but it is possible.

That would be very weird. They would need switches for that, you can’t just take cells offline by SW. Switches cost money, though. Especially if they shouldn’t add to the losses.

Also, you would need to charge them from time to time, otherwise they would deplete over the years and then get bricked.

But back to the main topic, does anyone buy, or attempt to buy the SR?

Ordered a Standard Range on May 18th, delivered last week in DC. It was already software limited w 220 range, no autopilot, no fog lights. no traffic visualization on navigation but seems to take traffic into account when mapping a route. It does have front heated seats. If they did something to the radio/speakers, I can't tell. Other than some small panel fit issues, car is great. Vin is in 400's.

Did get the all weather mats ($180), puddle lights ($21), wireless charging ($50), cup holder lining ($9), from Amazon and been happy with all of them. Also, going to get the wireless Scandisk and Sentry view app for Sentry mode.

Ordered a Standard Range on May 18th, delivered last week in DC. It was already software limited w 220 range, no autopilot, no fog lights. no traffic visualization on navigation but seems to take traffic into account when mapping a route. It does have front heated seats. If they did something to the radio/speakers, I can't tell. Other than some small panel fit issues, car is great. Vin is in 400's.

Did get the all weather mats ($180), puddle lights ($21), wireless charging ($50), cup holder lining ($9), from Amazon and been happy with all of them. Also, going to get the wireless Scandisk and Sentry view app for Sentry mode.

Next time maybe you can try our all weather floor mats by Road Comforts and save close to $100USD. The quality and finish is comparable to any all weather mat on the market.

Vendor - Road Comforts All Weather Custom Fit Mats - $79.99 for Model 3

Buy now: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07MGXB2G4

or visit us at:

www.roadcomforts.com

Yes, many people already have ordered and received the SR trim. Check other threads in this forum.

I ordered my SR on April 15 and received it May 14.
It still has the SR+ features, can't complain. :)

69a2778ba5e468cad766fef7c7bbf4df52bb28c1.jpg

I received my SR in June. They screwed up the order twice and put SR+ first, then SR /w autopilot, then finally what I ordered. For me, saving $5,500 was well worth it. I don't need the 20 miles or .3 second 0-60 and the car was just outside my price range. After tax rebate I paid $32,750 which is a steal.

I might upgrade if I decide to get autopilot in the future and if the rumored $4,500 SR to SR+ upgrade happens. I think I'll eventually want autopilot and why not add the extra speed for not much more.

DJ, I assume you have the software-locked Standard (range limited to 220 miles, no fog lamp option) - do you have the option in your Tesla account to purchase autopilot for $3000?

Yes, it says "Standard Range" on my screen. 220 miles, no fog lamp option. Autopilot is a purchase option for $3,000.

Honestly I'm not certain if it's software locked or physical. There is a rumor on Reddit that Tesla is oferring an upgrade fro SR to SR+ that includes the range, speed, and autopilot for $4,500. I'm really waiting to see what happens there but may grab auto-pilot next year.