TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Tesla Model 3 Steering Wheel not centre on delivery

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by Falcon3, Jun 7, 2018.

1. Falcon3

Falcon3 Member

The service tech did made an adjustment or some sort of reset which I didn't see because I was in the waiting area.

2. Falcon3

Falcon3 Member

I believe you have to take it into a SC, but give Tesla a call and check. They might have to jack it up to do their tests.

3. Garlan Garner

Garlan Garner Banned

You CAN"T install the wheel any way you want. That's a total untruth. The 3's wheel is keyed.

4. SabrToothSqrl

SabrToothSqrl Active Member

Then I am open to a diagram explaining how a steering wheel replacement caused the wheel to become off by approx 15 degrees clockwise when the car drives strait, and the alignment was not modified.

5. Wooloomooloo

Wooloomooloo Member

Yes mine is tilted slightly to the right - I've also noticed this in YouTube videos so it seems to be quite common. I'll get mine addressed when I take it to service.

6. noicepls

noicepls Member

I had the same issue (steering wheel half inch off-centre) post-delivery. My Tesla service centre computer indicated no wheel alignment was required. Instead, they fixed the misaligned steering wheel issue by following through with the self-calibrating on-the-road driving procedure as described above by the OP. Yes, it took about 20 minutes of driving on a stretch of road that is reasonably flat, but not necessarily perfectly flat.They did not do anything else such as physical adjustment of tie-rods etc, as other cars usually require.

7. Garlan Garner

Garlan Garner Banned

#27 Garlan Garner, Nov 6, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2018
    I'm not saying that a steering wheel replacement did anything.

I have one point. The Steering wheel is keyed. period. It can't be adjusted to the steering column. However...the steering column itself can be adjusted.

Part 1 3 and 2 all connect together.

Part 1 ( steering wheel ) is keyed to part 3 ( steering wheel control module ) and bolted to part 2 ( electronic steering column).

Part 2 can be adjusted downstream for steering wheel alignment, but the connection between Part 1 (steering wheel) and Part 2 (electric steering column) can't be adjusted - ITS KEYED.

steering wheel.jpg

You can remove the steering wheel yourself and look at the key. Its simple.

1. use 2 allen wrenches or screw drivers on the lower portion of each side of the steering column to release the airbag.
    2. Then there is a single bolt to remove ( which holds the steering wheel to the shaft.)
    3. Then you can see the keyed steering wheel attached. Its keyed at 12 o'clock.

It takes a tremendous amount of force to acutally remove the steering wheel after the bolt is removed....so don't worry... the steering wheel won't just fall off in your hands. The steering wheel kept from spinning around on the shaft because there are teeth on the shaft and steering wheel ( and the key ) that keeps it in place.

• Informative x 2
  8. brobinson

brobinson Member

SC fixed mine. It is not a 2 minute fix as it requires a wheel alignment as well. Either way, they got it taken care of.

9. Garlan Garner

Garlan Garner Banned

You had 2 problems then. You can adjust the steering wheel alignment without a tire alignment.

Tires are aligned to the chassis of the car....not to the steering wheel.

If your car travels in a perfectly straight line then the tires are aligned - no matter how crocked your steering wheel is.

• Like x 2
  10. Garlan Garner

Garlan Garner Banned

Now that this is solved.....

Can anyone tell me how to keep the headlights on - indefinitely?

First one to answer gets a prize - a free boost in pride.

11. SabrToothSqrl

SabrToothSqrl Active Member

Interesting. Thank you. I wonder what caused it to be off then after the wheel was replaced.

12. brobinson

brobinson Member

good to know that they are different things, but it seems typical that tesla both aligns the wheels and adjust the steering wheel when this problem is supported. There have been a number of threads about it and many people who have had both done when taken in for service. Just trying to set the expectation for OP that it likely won't be an 'in and out' visit

13. rainforest

rainforest Active Member

I just walked into the service centre, and the minute I said my steering wheel was pointing right, he told me that there is no need to do anything because the alignment is “self correcting”. WTF! I didn’t believe it, but it must be true what Khoa64 said. There must be some sort of bulletin that was issued. That is crazy!

I will try on the weekend.

14. Oyinko

Oyinko Member

Mine is off centered slightly to the right. The car isn't pulling though.

15. ngogas

ngogas Active Member

It’s easy to do. I did it to my BMW when the darn steering wheel was off slightly.

16. ebmcs03

ebmcs03 Active Member

I was at the service center and they said sicne i have like 4000 miles that I will have to pay for an alignment.

The car drives completly straight. This was off center to the right since new. And I have never hit anything.

It doesn’t bother me that much but since i was there I thought I would bring it up.

Amazing to see that there’s so many off center wheels and they think I caused the alignment problem.

17. rainforest

rainforest Active Member

Service centre told me that it corrects itself, but I don’t see it happening.

18. Oyinko

Oyinko Member

I don't really understand how the steering wheel could correct itself?

19. rainforest

rainforest Active Member

Read posts above for explanation. But I don't see it correcting itself on my car. Two different service centres said the same thing. Don't know if it's baloney.

20. Oyinko

Oyinko Member

Already saw your post but still don't get it. When you say it's keyed, this would mean they still install the steering wheel off center no?

Then how would it align itself? How does it know it's off centered?