Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 Steering Wheel not centre on delivery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That is really hard to believe. From the steering wheel to the front wheels has to be a solid mechanical linkage with electrical power assist. I can't see how there could be an electrical adjustment in the linkage. A pair of tie rods would have to shorten one and lengthen the other one. Or the gear on the steering column would have to rotate a bit relative to the shaft by a motor. Maybe the tires broke into the new alignment by changing the wear pattern?
The service tech did made an adjustment or some sort of reset which I didn't see because I was in the waiting area.

That is really hard to believe. From the steering wheel to the front wheels has to be a solid mechanical linkage with electrical power assist. I can't see how there could be an electrical adjustment in the linkage. A pair of tie rods would have to shorten one and lengthen the other one. Or the gear on the steering column would have to rotate a bit relative to the shaft by a motor. Maybe the tires broke into the new alignment by changing the wear pattern?

I had the same issue (steering wheel half inch off-centre) post-delivery. My Tesla service centre computer indicated no wheel alignment was required. Instead, they fixed the misaligned steering wheel issue by following through with the self-calibrating on-the-road driving procedure as described above by the OP. Yes, it took about 20 minutes of driving on a stretch of road that is reasonably flat, but not necessarily perfectly flat.They did not do anything else such as physical adjustment of tie-rods etc, as other cars usually require.

Then I am open to a diagram explaining how a steering wheel replacement caused the wheel to become off by approx 15 degrees clockwise when the car drives strait, and the alignment was not modified.
I'm not saying that a steering wheel replacement did anything.

I have one point. The Steering wheel is keyed. period. It can't be adjusted to the steering column. However...the steering column itself can be adjusted.

Part 1 3 and 2 all connect together.

Part 1 ( steering wheel ) is keyed to part 3 ( steering wheel control module ) and bolted to part 2 ( electronic steering column).

Part 2 can be adjusted downstream for steering wheel alignment, but the connection between Part 1 (steering wheel) and Part 2 (electric steering column) can't be adjusted - ITS KEYED.

steering wheel.jpg

You can remove the steering wheel yourself and look at the key. Its simple.

1. use 2 allen wrenches or screw drivers on the lower portion of each side of the steering column to release the airbag.
2. Then there is a single bolt to remove ( which holds the steering wheel to the shaft.)
3. Then you can see the keyed steering wheel attached. Its keyed at 12 o'clock.

It takes a tremendous amount of force to acutally remove the steering wheel after the bolt is removed....so don't worry... the steering wheel won't just fall off in your hands. The steering wheel kept from spinning around on the shaft because there are teeth on the shaft and steering wheel ( and the key ) that keeps it in place.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: KenC and C141medic
SC fixed mine. It is not a 2 minute fix as it requires a wheel alignment as well. Either way, they got it taken care of.

You had 2 problems then. You can adjust the steering wheel alignment without a tire alignment.

Tires are aligned to the chassis of the car....not to the steering wheel.

If your car travels in a perfectly straight line then the tires are aligned - no matter how crocked your steering wheel is.

You had 2 problems then. You can adjust the steering wheel alignment without a tire alignment.

Tires are aligned to the chassis of the car....not to the steering wheel.

If your car travels in a perfectly straight line then the tires are aligned - no matter how crocked your steering wheel is.

good to know that they are different things, but it seems typical that tesla both aligns the wheels and adjust the steering wheel when this problem is supported. There have been a number of threads about it and many people who have had both done when taken in for service. Just trying to set the expectation for OP that it likely won't be an 'in and out' visit

I just walked into the service centre, and the minute I said my steering wheel was pointing right, he told me that there is no need to do anything because the alignment is “self correcting”. WTF! I didn’t believe it, but it must be true what Khoa64 said. There must be some sort of bulletin that was issued. That is crazy!

I will try on the weekend.

Yes mine is tilted slightly to the right - I've also noticed this in YouTube videos so it seems to be quite common. I'll get mine addressed when I take it to service.

I was at the service center and they said sicne i have like 4000 miles that I will have to pay for an alignment.

The car drives completly straight. This was off center to the right since new. And I have never hit anything.

It doesn’t bother me that much but since i was there I thought I would bring it up.

Amazing to see that there’s so many off center wheels and they think I caused the alignment problem.