Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 Steering Wheel not centre on delivery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just received the model 3 delivery yesterday and have been driving for 2 days now. I noticed that the steering wheel is not centre and when I adjust to the middle, the car veers to the left. Does anyone else have the same problem with the steering wheel not being centre. If so, were you able to get it fixed by the service centre?

I just received the model 3 delivery yesterday and have been driving for 2 days now. I noticed that the steering wheel is not centre and when I adjust to the middle, the car veers to the left. Does anyone else have the same problem with the steering wheel not being centre. If so, were you able to get it fixed by the service centre?

That's an easy fix. The service center should be able to fix that in 2 min.

I'm happy to report back that I took the car back to a different service centre while I was in for some other work and the tech did mention that during his diagnosis, he noticed the steering column was off by a few degrees and applied a fix to put it at centre. Once I got the car back, I noticed that the steering wheel was centred, but the car was pulling to the right side of the road while driving. I immediately took it back and the tech explained that the car would need to reset itself and learn your driving habits to reset the pull to the right. He offered to do it for me and asked if I would like to do it myself. To do it myself, he mentioned that I would need to drive it on a straight road for 20 minutes, get out of the car, lock it using the key card, wait 5 minutes then get back in and drive. I would need to do this 3 times for the car to straighten up. So far I've done this twice and noticed it's starting to straighten up and have less pull to the right. I am happy however that the steering wheel is straight now. Thanks all for your comments.

PS: Also mention that it was pretty cool that the tech hooked up his computer to the car and can see on a line graph how straight the car was going and the steering column alignment.

I'm happy to report back that I took the car back to a different service centre while I was in for some other work and the tech did mention that during his diagnosis, he noticed the steering column was off by a few degrees and applied a fix to put it at centre. Once I got the car back, I noticed that the steering wheel was centred, but the car was pulling to the right side of the road while driving. I immediately took it back and the tech explained that the car would need to reset itself and learn your driving habits to reset the pull to the right. He offered to do it for me and asked if I would like to do it myself. To do it myself, he mentioned that I would need to drive it on a straight road for 20 minutes, get out of the car, lock it using the key card, wait 5 minutes then get back in and drive. I would need to do this 3 times for the car to straighten up. So far I've done this twice and noticed it's starting to straighten up and have less pull to the right. I am happy however that the steering wheel is straight now. Thanks all for your comments.

PS: Also mention that it was pretty cool that the tech hooked up his computer to the car and can see on a line graph how straight the car was going and the steering column alignment.

I have this problem where my wheel is always pointed slightly right when driving straight.

So how can I find a perfectly straight road for 20 minutes? This seems like a very difficult exercise to perform successfully.

That is really hard to believe. From the steering wheel to the front wheels has to be a solid mechanical linkage with electrical power assist. I can't see how there could be an electrical adjustment in the linkage. A pair of tie rods would have to shorten one and lengthen the other one. Or the gear on the steering column would have to rotate a bit relative to the shaft by a motor. Maybe the tires broke into the new alignment by changing the wear pattern?

...the tech explained that the car would need to reset itself and learn your driving habits to reset the pull to the right.
He offered to do it for me and asked if I would like to do it myself.

To do it myself, he mentioned that I would need to drive it on a straight road for 20 minutes,
get out of the car, lock it using the key card, wait 5 minutes then get back in and drive.
I would need to do this 3 times for the car to straighten up.

So far I've done this twice and noticed it's starting to straighten up and have less pull to the right.
I am happy however that the steering wheel is straight now. Thanks all for your comments.
Look BS for me.
- I believe that you should have first the steering wheel put in the correct position.
- Then, you should get the alignment done to verify that there is nothing wrong with one of the wheels alignment.
- After alignment, you should not need to adjust the steering wheel.

However, if the steering is not aligned correctly, then remove the steering wheel to adjust it correctly.

Note: Some cars don't have a separate left and right alignment, so in this case you do the alignment first,
and then you have to remove the steering wheel to center it.

About driving for 20 minutes, 3 times, both way, that 2 hours of driving to let the car "learn your driving habits"...
this does not make too much sense to me.

What I believe happen is that one of the tires when new might have a tendency to pull more in one direction.
In fact I previously had this issue after getting a new set of tires and alignment.
I was kind of upset and returned to the shop.
They then re-tested the alignment but found nothing wrong.
They just told me to drive a little bit and to come back a week later if I was still having the same issue.

The problem disappeared in fact after driving for few days.
I since never noticed any uneven worn out on any of my tires.

Physical fix. They pull the wheel, re-center it and fasten it again
They can't just pull the wheel and re=position it.

The steering wheel is keyed to the steering column. I've replaced mine as I ordered and installed a custom carbon fiber one.

2 things.

If your steering wheel is not centered....that's an easy fix to adjust the column.

If your car is veering one way or another that is totally different. That's a wheel/tire alignment.

Reactions: not4antoher
I have this problem where my wheel is always pointed slightly right when driving straight.

So how can I find a perfectly straight road for 20 minutes? This seems like a very difficult exercise to perform successfully.
I went on the highway for 20 minutes. I don't think it has to be completely straight, can bend a bit, but the important part is driving for 20 minutes.