Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 Steering Wheel not centre on delivery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Already saw your post but still don't get it. When you say it's keyed, this would mean they still install the steering wheel off center no?

Then how would it align itself? How does it know it's off centered?

I didn’t mention anything about being keyed (maybe it was another member), but I also don’t understand how it aligns itself. That’s just what two service centres have said.

Does anyone know what the splines key pattern is? I want to try and extend the stock steering wheel out an inch or 2 with steering wheel spacer/extender. The 2 steering wheel cables have what looks like enough wire slack.
Something like this maybe?
Steering Shaft Adapter - Splined
I wonder if this will be possible with the 4WD, because of the maximum articulation angle limitation?

My Model 3 recently had an all wheel alignment and now I noticed the steering wheel is slightly to the right too, when driving straight. I haven't put many miles on it since the alignment, so I hope it self centers because it's really annoying me. But I'm a bit confused, one person here said there is a procedure you must do to get it to self center and another said it does it on its own. I have not called my nearest service center yet because I really don't want to have to take it in, as they are 2 hours away from me.

Last edited:
My Model 3 recently had an all wheel alignment and now I noticed the steering wheel is slightly to the right too, when driving straight. I haven't put many miles on it since the alignment, so I hope it self centers because it's really annoying me. But I'm a bit confused, one person here said there is a procedure you must do to get it to self center and another said it does it on its own. I have not called my nearest service center yet because I really don't want to have to take it in, as they are 2 hours away from me.

Fix itself on its own? No.

Finally went to a Tesla Service Center to have them center my steering wheel. When it was done I got about half a mile away and noticed the steering wheel was still off center to the right. I took it back to them. They tried centering it again but it still was off center to the right, only now the car pulls to the right also. It was the end of the day and I didn't want to spend anymore time there so I drove home. I called them the next day to tell them they hadn't fix the issue. Guess I'll go to a different Tesla Service Center and see what they can do.

How friggin hard is it to get this fixed? Tesla did a wheel alignment (according to my invoices), on it 3 times and still couldn't get it right. This should be an easy thing to correct.

Finally went to a Tesla Service Center to have them center my steering wheel. When it was done I got about half a mile away and noticed the steering wheel was still off center to the right. I took it back to them. They tried centering it again but it still was off center to the right, only now the car pulls to the right also. It was the end of the day and I didn't want to spend anymore time there so I drove home. I called them the next day to tell them they hadn't fix the issue. Guess I'll go to a different Tesla Service Center and see what they can do.

How friggin hard is it to get this fixed? Tesla did a wheel alignment (according to my invoices), on it 3 times and still couldn't get it right. This should be an easy thing to correct.

The concept of alignment is easy. Setting everything straight is slightly less easy.

On the tie rod there is a nut that shortens or lengthens the rod, effectively pushing one end of the wheel in or out (the toe).

The idea is that the toe should be symmetric to the centerline of the car, while the steering wheel is centered.

The problem is that it's somewhat difficult to center the steering wheel, before working on the adjustments. You probably know from experience when wiggling the steering wheel while parked, that it flexes the tires then bounces back.

It's impossible to precisely nudge the wheel every degree and have it set exactly there with fine granularity. It's also very difficult to eyeball true center -- you don't see it sitting still, as much as you sense it when actually driving down the road. I don't know if techs have some sort of implement to hook into the steering wheel, and mount a level on top. I'm guessing most just eyeball it as best they can.

I can sorta sympathize if they can't spend an hour retweaking the steering until it's as perfect as drivers demand.

What I would following an alignment, is if the camber, caster, toe, and all of the rest of that is correct....go home and finish the steering wheel part myself. Make small, *equal* adjustments on both tie rods to maintain correct toe.

I also remember in the US that Firestone service chain had a lifetime alignment deal. If youre unhappy with the steering, just take it in another shop or another day until you luck out with the results.

I'm guessing most just eyeball it as best they can.

I can sorta sympathize if they can't spend an hour retweaking the steering until it's as perfect as drivers demand.

The steering wheel can easily been seen with an eyeball that it's not centered. Obviously, I'm going to have to take it a service center again. I'm just tired of driving 2 hours to get there and 2 hours to come back home, and that's the closest one.

The service center should be able to fix it.

When I first got my car, the steering wheel was crooked. I drove it a while hoping that it would "self-correct," but that never happened. When I finally took it to the service center, the service advisor tried to charge me for an alignment stating that I must have hit a pot hole. But the technician agreed to take care of it under warranty.

The moral of the story is to take it in as soon as possible so they don't try to blame you for the steering being off.

If the steering wheel seems off centre but there are no vibrations in the wheel, it usually is just the wheel. Vibrations (usually above 50 mph) indicate alignment issues with at least the front wheels.
Mine was off too. They aligned the wheels (and perhaps the steering wheel too). Th steering wheels is now centered and the vibrations are gone. Big difference in driving comfort and it also seems to be a more quite ride.
A proper (laser assisted) alignment can take up to 90 minutes.

I had the same issue (steering wheel half inch off-centre) post-delivery. My Tesla service centre computer indicated no wheel alignment was required. Instead, they fixed the misaligned steering wheel issue by following through with the self-calibrating on-the-road driving procedure as described above by the OP. Yes, it took about 20 minutes of driving on a stretch of road that is reasonably flat, but not necessarily perfectly flat.They did not do anything else such as physical adjustment of tie-rods etc, as other cars usually require.
Hi,

I have a similar situation and was wondering did yours auto correct itself after driving about 20 minutes on a reasonably flat road? I just took delivery of Model Y and it was tilted to the right. They did a 4 wheel alignment and now the steering wheel is tilted to the left. They say it will take some highway driving so the steering wheel will self adjust. Not sure if it is b.s. However, just wondering what was your experience?

Hi,

I have a similar situation and was wondering did yours auto correct itself after driving about 20 minutes on a reasonably flat road? I just took delivery of Model Y and it was tilted to the right. They did a 4 wheel alignment and now the steering wheel is tilted to the left. They say it will take some highway driving so the steering wheel will self adjust. Not sure if it is b.s. However, just wondering what was your experience?
If your steering wheel is still off center they did not do the complete alignment properly. This is a well known problem with the Model 3. Mine came with the steering wheel off 5 degrees to the right. The service center tried the auto alignment but it didn't fix the problem. It took them doing a complete alignment with the steering wheel properly centered and about two hours to fix the problem.

• Helpful
Reactions: Phlier
If your steering wheel is still off center they did not do the complete alignment properly. This is a well known problem with the Model 3. Mine came with the steering wheel off 5 degrees to the right. The service center tried the auto alignment but it didn't fix the problem. It took them doing a complete alignment with the steering wheel properly centered and about two hours to fix the problem.
Thanks. so that so call Adaptive calibration is probably b.s... Did they even bother telling you about this "driving for calibration?" Granted this is a 2021 Model Y so maybe they did install some newer technology?

so did they charge you for it? I am thinking if the problem does not go away (after 100+ miles), I am just going to go back next week walk-up to see if they can fix it.

Thanks. so that so call Adaptive calibration is probably b.s
Possibly, but it's also possible that it has a very narrow window of authority to make changes.

Ever notice how most roads have a "crown" (higher in the middle of the road, then lower at each shoulder)? This is for water management.

How much of a crown a road has will effect how much the steering wheel is off of center while driving straight. The combination of an excessively high (or even excessively low) crown combined with an alignment that is slightly off might very well be enough to put the adaptive calibration system outside of its limits to correct the problem.

Most of the time, my car is able to adapt to various amounts of crown such that the wheel remains pretty darn straight. But get on a very "crowned" road, and yeah... the wheel is off a bit.

Thanks. so that so call Adaptive calibration is probably b.s... Did they even bother telling you about this "driving for calibration?" Granted this is a 2021 Model Y so maybe they did install some newer technology?

so did they charge you for it? I am thinking if the problem does not go away (after 100+ miles), I am just going to go back next week walk-up to see if they can fix it.

Yep, I'm calling BS on any "adaptive steering calibration" system. I suspect the techs are getting mixed up between physical steering wheel position relative to wheel alignment and AP/FSD steering control calibration.

Basically your road wheels are mechanically fixed relative to the steering wheel and so the steering wheel will only be straight if the wheels are aligned straight when the steering wheel is also straight. If the steering wheel is turned slightly off-centre when the wheel tracking is done, then you will get the same steering offset when you drive in a straight line. Because there is always a small amount of backlash in the steering system, the wheel can easily be slightly off when doing the tracking.

Yep, I'm calling BS on any "adaptive steering calibration" system. I suspect the techs are getting mixed up between physical steering wheel position relative to wheel alignment and AP/FSD steering control calibration.

Basically your road wheels are mechanically fixed relative to the steering wheel and so the steering wheel will only be straight if the wheels are aligned straight when the steering wheel is also straight. If the steering wheel is turned slightly off-centre when the wheel tracking is done, then you will get the same steering offset when you drive in a straight line. Because there is always a small amount of backlash in the steering system, the wheel can easily be slightly off when doing the tracking.

I just called Tesla service center (I finally found a trick to call and be able to talk to a real person, and he seems like a tech person not a sales guy). I relay the issue to him and ask about this 100 miles. He says that is correct. It will take about 100 miles until it self-centered.

So... I don't know since I have not driven 100 miles yet. I told him so I will drive 100 miles and if it still off center I will just bring it back.

it is a hassle though, the appointment is a month out and not sure if they would charge me again because they could argue I hit a pothole...