Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 Steering Wheel not centre on delivery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Our Model 3 LR is experiencing the same thing. Nice to know it can be fixed fast. Will set up an appointment. Thanks for this.
well, I don't know if it is fixed yet as I have not driven 100 miles....

When you set up your appointment, make sure you to specify alignment as well as Centering steering wheel. Also ask them about this "adaptive calibration" thing... It sounded sketchy but I guess we will see...

I just called Tesla service center (I finally found a trick to call and be able to talk to a real person, and he seems like a tech person not a sales guy). I relay the issue to him and ask about this 100 miles. He says that is correct. It will take about 100 miles until it self-centered.

So... I don't know since I have not driven 100 miles yet. I told him so I will drive 100 miles and if it still off center I will just bring it back.

I really don’t see how your steering wheel is going to magically self-centre itself without someone physically adjusting the tracking. The wheels are mechanically fixed relative to the steering wheel. So if you drive in a straight line and your steering wheel is off centre then it will remain that way until it is physically re-aligned. That doesn’t mean re-indexing the steering wheel on its spline as people often think. It just needs the steering trackrods adjusting while the steering wheel is perfectly centred. Unfortunately this is usually done by eye and with the inevitable friction in the system it’s not that uncommon for the steering wheel to end up a little off centre.

Bottom line. If when the steering wheel is straight, the wheels are also pointing straight (Or with equal amounts of toe-in/out on each side) then it will all be good. If however the steering wheel is turned for example 5 degrees to the left when driving straight, it just means that’s how it was when the wheel alignment was last done. It’s not rocket science despite Space X!

Thanks. so that so call Adaptive calibration is probably b.s... Did they even bother telling you about this "driving for calibration?" Granted this is a 2021 Model Y so maybe they did install some newer technology?

so did they charge you for it? I am thinking if the problem does not go away (after 100+ miles), I am just going to go back next week walk-up to see if they can fix it.
It was covered under the warrantee. The technician drove the vehicle several times during the procedure.

@Peteski Here's a related thread with some great information in it: Model 3 Pulling to Right (FW Bug!)

There are 2 separate issues being discussed here:-

1. The steering wheel being off-centre when driving in a straight line (the main subject of this thread)
2. The car actively pulling to the left or right i.e. trying to steer itself off centre. The steering wheel may be centred or not.

In the thread you linked to, post #47 covers the second problem nicely and that can indeed be a software issue i.e. the computer is trying to apply a slight steering correction for what it thinks is the neutral point.

But if the steering wheel is simply off centre when you are driving in a straight line, but not pulling against you, then it has to be mechanically adjusted at the trackrods. i.e. tracking done with the steering wheel properly centred.

PXL_20210124_152330491.jpg
Have my appointment is a few days. Will report back what they do.

Took my car in today. Tech test drive it and confirmed it drives straight. Service advisor wanted to charge me for the alignment as it's not a warranty item. Pushed back and said I don't need an alignment, the car drives straight. I need my steering wheel straightened which requires an adjustment to my alignment. Silence. Ok, we'll do this as a goodwill gesture, and also included the comment on the invoice to reconfirm the goodwill gesture.