Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 steering wheel only turns one full turn (360 degrees)?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi folks,
Got a M3 and super happy with it. When I turn the wheel is turns a maximum of one full rotation (360 degrees). My previous car, a Suzuki, used to turn one and half rotations (540 degrees).
Just wanted to confirm that it is the case with all M3s and I haven't got a faulty car.

Many thanks :)

Dunno but I felt like I was going to flip over on my first drive coming out of a Model S I have driving for 8 years. Love the tiny st. wheel and gokart feel, getting 15/25 spacers to improve stance and continuing to aggressively accelerate hoping to shred the POS OEM all seasons and justify high perf summer tires (winter setup also).

Hi folks,
Got a M3 and super happy with it. When I turn the wheel is turns a maximum of one full rotation (360 degrees). My previous car, a Suzuki, used to turn one and half rotations (540 degrees).
Just wanted to confirm that it is the case with all M3s and I haven't got a faulty car.

Many thanks :)
Should be two total turns lock to lock. Most cars are 3-3.5.

The model 3 (and Y) do have unusually short steering ratios (10:1) compared to other cars in the class.

Should be two total turns lock to lock. Most cars are 3-3.5.

The model 3 (and Y) do have unusually short steering ratios (10:1) compared to other cars in the class.
That seems in agreement with the OP... One full turn from neutral center. So from full left to full right would be two turns.

I can't imagine turning the wheel anymore than it already does... the turning ratio is pretty good. I'm not sure in 20 months of driving I've even needed to fully turn the wheel.

I too was very surprised by this when I got my M3LR. What's worst, it's that it's not just a steering ratio issue, the wheels actually turn way less than they do on my Audi S5 to the point where the same maneuver in the same place when backing into my garage is easily done in one move with the S5 but it requires 3 moves (back, front and back again) in the Model 3, despite the S5 being a bigger car.
This and the appalling rear visibility are my two biggest gripes with the car,

I too was very surprised by this when I got my M3LR. What's worst, it's that it's not just a steering ratio issue, the wheels actually turn way less than they do on my Audi S5 to the point where the same maneuver in the same place when backing into my garage is easily done in one move with the S5 but it requires 3 moves (back, front and back again) in the Model 3, despite the S5 being a bigger car.
This and the appalling rear visibility are my two biggest gripes with the car,
There is generally a trade-off between steering ratio and how much the wheels turn at lock. I agree backing into the garage is a bit more difficult, but it's a minor trade-off that you make once? per drive compared to the benefit of awesome steering you feel throughout the drive. This is further negated by learning to park properly 😂

There is generally a trade-off between steering ratio and how much the wheels turn at lock. I agree backing into the garage is a bit more difficult, but it's a minor trade-off that you make once? per drive compared to the benefit of awesome steering you feel throughout the drive. This is further negated by learning to park properly 😂
Steering ratio (turns lock to lock) and maximum steering angle (how tightly you can turn) have no correlation. Maximum steering angle is usually a product of the suspension and drivetrain designs. Front and all-wheel-drive cars often have less maximum steering angle than rear-wheel-drive cars due to the articulation limits of the half shafts.