Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 the way I want - Signature Wheel + MPP Comfort Coilover

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looks really nice. I contemplated on placing a deposit for the MPP comfort coilovers, but have already scraped my battery pack shield on a parking garage ramp. Sucks that Tesla hasn’t offered the smart air suspension yet for the Model 3. I know the SAS wouldn’t be good for the track, but I never track my car anyways and I liked the fact that my two previous Model S’s were able to get in/out of parking garages and over ramps without scraping using the high setting of SAS.

@dmd2005 after a month driving on MPP comfort coilover, I said you should go for it. I haven't hit anything driving around bay area yet (knock on wood). You can keep it at higher setting, but the handling is night and day versus OEM

• Love
Reactions: skrtskrt
Hey there! Fellow F80 M3 owner here that is looking at potentially picking up the Model 3 Performance. How do you like the Tesla in comparison? My only hesitation atm, is the fact that you really can't tell any of the trim levels apart (as minor a quibble as that may be).

Love your customizations btw !

Hey there! Fellow F80 M3 owner here that is looking at potentially picking up the Model 3 Performance. How do you like the Tesla in comparison? My only hesitation atm, is the fact that you really can't tell any of the trim levels apart (as minor a quibble as that may be).

You will get the carbon fiber spoiler and the "dual motor" badge to distinguish your Performance Model 3.

@dmd2005 after a month driving on MPP comfort coilover, I said you should go for it. I haven't hit anything driving around bay area yet (knock on wood). You can keep it at higher setting, but the handling is night and day versus OEM

Thanks for the info and that’s good info to know the handling is night and day. I’ve already emailed MPP for a discount code to order the comfort coils and their adjustable arms for toe/camber. I’m just not sure if I’ll need the adjustable camber or toe if I don’t lower the 3 too much, but knowing myself I’ll probably want it about 1.5” lower than stock.

@z335is Hi there, Model 3 ruined my love for any euro car going forward. Is that pretty clear? LOL!

You will get the carbon fiber spoiler and the "dual motor" badge to distinguish your Performance Model 3.

@YisSerL I personally think the dual motor badge is kind of lame, and yes, more chrome please!

If this helps any at all I came from a Nissan GTR and aside from the exhaust note, I love the Model 3 way more....

2018M3, thanks for the info on the coils. I plan on picking a set up once theyre released for the DM.:)

Definitely like your style. I think yours and mine will be almost opposite. Looking at ordering a set of 19x8.5 VS10 wheels from VS Forged in matte brushed titanium; likely going with 245/40-19 tires. Not usually a big fan of chrome-delete, but I decided to do it and then went beyond -- also deleted the roof-rails. :)

I am still quite curious about the impact of 19" wheels vis-a-vis 18" stock aero. With the VS Forged set-up, there don't be any weight penalty, and the tires will be just a tiny bit wider. Here is a pic of Snoopy. No real pics until I finish the ceramic treatment.

TM3 by https://www.flickr.com/photos/20520881[/url

Many people PM me for more photos that show the concavity, hope this photo helps. It’s Signature Wheel’s Medium Concave which is the most concave our Model 3 can be made due to the size and oem brake caliper with just FYI

(BMW M3, they could produce up to Super Deep Concave for comparison)

What I learned over the year of buying wheels is that concavity is a combination of many things. Most important is how accurate the wheel company doing the engineering measurement thus determining the fitments. The lazy way is to just make a flat face or minimum concavity possible, because that’s the simplest and quickest way to produce a wheel. Also how strong the wheel itself and material is. That’s why cast or flow form wheels are mostly minimum concavity or even no concave at all without considering wheel size or brake caliper play a role or not.

It's all in the details about a wheel company IMO. One simple way to tell if a wheel company put time in engineering is see how close your wheel spokes to the brake caliper.

6CDE8C01-A2C3-420C-A418-00DB729A3BB7.jpeg

Last edited:
I am new to all this, but after reading this thread one question that remains, at least for me, is how much lower is your car than stock? Does Mountainpass or other manufacturers provide or use a specific measurement to quote how low your car is in numbers?

Since I am new to this I would like to walk into a shop and say - install these MPP Comfort Coilovers at...such and such height....just like 2018M3's car since that seems to be the look I like.

Perhaps MPP Comfort Coilovers are all the same height - as in all I need to do for my M3 to look like yours is install them.

The other question of course is that of range and how much, if any, it declines with this set up. I am sure as you log more and more miles you will find out.

I am new to all this, but after reading this thread one question that remains, at least for me, is how much lower is your car than stock? Does Mountainpass or other manufacturers provide or use a specific measurement to quote how low your car is in numbers?

Since I am new to this I would like to walk into a shop and say - install these MPP Comfort Coilovers at...such and such height....just like 2018M3's car since that seems to be the look I like.

Perhaps MPP Comfort Coilovers are all the same height - as in all I need to do for my M3 to look like yours is install them.
MPP doesn't talk about their height in terms of visual height (how high the car looks lowered or finger gap above tire). In their installation video they explain to the installer how to adjust the height in terms of measuring in mm how much thread should be exposed in their adjustment range (from perch to thread base). They provide a recommended position and from there you can deviate in either direction with the knowledge that the further away you go, the further you will be from the optimum config MPP have designed their coil-overs for.

So if you want the same look as @2018M3 (he did the recommended height), just tell the shop to watch the video and do the measurements exactly as shown here:

The other question of course is that of range and how much, if any, it declines with this set up. I am sure as you log more and more miles you will find out.
MPP doesn't talk about their height in terms of visual height (how high the car looks lowered or finger gap above tire). In their installation video they explain to the installer how to adjust the height in terms of measuring in mm how much thread should be exposed in their adjustment range (from perch to thread base). They provide a recommended position and from there you can deviate in either direction with the knowledge that the further away you go, the further you will be from the optimum config MPP have designed their coil-overs for.

So if you want the same look as @2018M3 (he did the recommended height), just tell the shop to watch the video and do the measurements exactly as shown here:

Since i supercharge with many Model 3 next to me, my car is exactly one mirror length lower if that helps lol

• Helpful
Reactions: is2scooby