Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 the way I want - Signature Wheel + MPP Comfort Coilover

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am new to all this, but after reading this thread one question that remains, at least for me, is how much lower is your car than stock? Does Mountainpass or other manufacturers provide or use a specific measurement to quote how low your car is in numbers?

Since I am new to this I would like to walk into a shop and say - install these MPP Comfort Coilovers at...such and such height....just like 2018M3's car since that seems to be the look I like.

Perhaps MPP Comfort Coilovers are all the same height - as in all I need to do for my M3 to look like yours is install them.

The other question of course is that of range and how much, if any, it declines with this set up. I am sure as you log more and more miles you will find out.

If you go to the MPP website page that describes the comfort coilovers (MPP Model 3 Comfort Coilovers AWD/Performance PRE-ORDER ) you will find the information that you seek. They talk about it in terms of ground clearance in mm. Stock is 155mm front and 150mm rear. They recommend 110mm front and rear. Which is pretty low in my view - 4.3 inches. Many 911s ride at this height. I’m going to start at 120mm and if that works out OK, maybe go to 115mm.

I might need new glasses lol, ill take some side by side photo next time I am at supercharging station.

This would be helpful for the new guy (i.e. me). I've never been into modding/tuning cars until now. Probably you guys' fault :D

But as a newbie I am very apprehensive of lowering a car w/out knowing everything that goes into it. The part I like the most based on your information, (and PLEASE correct me if I'm wrong) is that you have been able to lower the car (MPP Comfor Coilovers) and improve stock ride comfort, add new rims (sv 503) and new wider tires (square set-up) without affecting much range all without having to 'mess' with toe kits/camber arms/spacers/etc, etc.

if anything I'm learning the lingo - or so I keep telling myselfo_O

MPP comfort vs OEM Side by side comparison

3AAD0BDA-67AC-4F30-95E6-42ED9FD756D6.jpeg
89D9F5FB-D84D-4FF1-AE54-03E62ECBAC3E.jpeg
F4292253-B633-4382-8465-1591903955A7.jpeg
5D2A33B2-210D-484C-8BD0-6138F128B6DD.jpeg

MPP doesn't talk about their height in terms of visual height (how high the car looks lowered or finger gap above tire). In their installation video they explain to the installer how to adjust the height in terms of measuring in mm how much thread should be exposed in their adjustment range (from perch to thread base). They provide a recommended position and from there you can deviate in either direction with the knowledge that the further away you go, the further you will be from the optimum config MPP have designed their coil-overs for.

So if you want the same look as @2018M3 (he did the recommended height), just tell the shop to watch the video and do the measurements exactly as shown here:

This video is for the MPP sport coilovers. Does that make a difference in installation vs the OPs Comfort Coilovers?

Many people PM me for more photos that show the concavity, hope this photo helps. It’s Signature Wheel’s Medium Concave which is the most concave our Model 3 can be made due to the size and oem brake caliper with just FYI

(BMW M3, they could produce up to Super Deep Concave for comparison)

What I learned over the year of buying wheels is that concavity is a combination of many things. Most important is how accurate the wheel company doing the engineering measurement thus determining the fitments. The lazy way is to just make a flat face or minimum concavity possible, because that’s the simplest and quickest way to produce a wheel. Also how strong the wheel itself and material is. That’s why cast or flow form wheels are mostly minimum concavity or even no concave at all without considering wheel size or brake caliper play a role or not.

It's all in the details about a wheel company IMO. One simple way to tell if a wheel company put time in engineering is see how close your wheel spokes to the brake caliper.

View attachment 375981

good looking car! How many fingers between the fender and the tires front and back?

This would be helpful for the new guy (i.e. me). I've never been into modding/tuning cars until now. Probably you guys' fault :D

But as a newbie I am very apprehensive of lowering a car w/out knowing everything that goes into it. The part I like the most based on your information, (and PLEASE correct me if I'm wrong) is that you have been able to lower the car (MPP Comfor Coilovers) and improve stock ride comfort, add new rims (sv 503) and new wider tires (square set-up) without affecting much range all without having to 'mess' with toe kits/camber arms/spacers/etc, etc.

if anything I'm learning the lingo - or so I keep telling myselfo_O
Jesse from MPP told me that you will gain negative camber if you lower the car at their recommended setting. This is why the P3D+ came with different, although not adjustable, upper arms. So if you want to put it back to neutral camber for best tire ware then you will also need to buy MPP's camber arms since the model 3 does not have adjustable ones. But some people like to keep that extra negative camber since that will perform better on the track for aggressive turns.

I just pulled the trigger and ordered the comfort coilovers and both adjustable arms. Wish I ordered a few days ago to get the pre-order discount, but couldn’t hit the order button and make a decision between coilovers from MPP or springs from Unplugged or TSportline. I can’t wait for spring/summer now and for the snow stop falling. I’ll be driving my truck in poor weather anyways, so I’m thinking of dropping the stance another 1.25” or maybe 1.5” from the current P3D+ height. I think it will look nice with my new VS03 wheels.

• Love
Reactions: MountainPass
MPP comfort vs OEM Side by side comparison

Ok so one thing you haven't mentioned - why MPP comfort over performance coilovers? Walk us through your reasoning on that.

I'm surprised you said your old M3 is comparable to the comforts. I'm just driving on streets, but coming from Porsche and Audi S lines, my plan is to get performance and run them on recommended-to-soft (dampers are adjustable on performance), which should be just slightly firmer than the comforts, according to MPP.

@superbaka:

The comfort coilovers are about $700 lower in price vs the sports and I spent the extra $700 I saved to purchase MPP camber and toe arms. There options to just get springs for the lowered look, but I wanted to do it right and get dampers tuned for the springs.

I’ve had KW1 coilovers on my MKV GTI with APR tune and that setup and ride was perfect for the street being firm but not harsh. If my 3 was a track car, I’d go for the sport setup instead but I’d probably never take it on a track or autocross course.

Ok so one thing you haven't mentioned - why MPP comfort over performance coilovers? Walk us through your reasoning on that.

I'm surprised you said your old M3 is comparable to the comforts. I'm just driving on streets, but coming from Porsche and Audi S lines, my plan is to get performance and run them on recommended-to-soft (dampers are adjustable on performance), which should be just slightly firmer than the comforts, according to MPP.

@superbaka I asked for MPP's suggestion, since i don't plan to track, they told me comfort is the best choice for me. Which works out for me, the extra savings got used toward new set of wheels and tires.