Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

snoltor

May 16, 2013
Davis, CA
Part 3 of my three-year review covers: Energy Use and Carbon Emissions from driving 42,500 miles in our Model 3. Links to Parts 1-4 of the review are at the bottom.

We drove 42,500 miles in the first three years. I calculated how many kWh of electricity were sent to my car to charge the battery pack, and from that I estimated carbon emissions from producing the electricity.

3YearsMileage3-300x139.jpg

I don’t have a separate meter to record energy use by my home charging station so I started with the amount of energy that the car reported using, and worked back from there. I took into account charging inefficiencies and estimated energy use by BMS and Sentry Mode – the UI currently reports energy use while driving. This is a back of the envelope estimate so keep in mind that YMMV.

Energy Use

11,100 kWh of electricity were used to charge my car over 3 years.

Here’s how I came up with...

Continue reading...

Roy2001

May 12, 2021
hmm, I think 130 MPGe is based on wall outlet readout. That means when Tesla show you 8000KwH used, it means 8000KwH were sent to Tesla. Right?

android04

Apr 1, 2016
Southeast Nebraska
hmm, I think 130 MPGe is based on wall outlet readout. That means when Tesla show you 8000KwH used, it means 8000KwH were sent to Tesla. Right?
I believe the number reported by the Tesla is only what was added to the battery pack, so it doesn't include charging losses (and I don't think it includes using shore power while connected and using HVAC or other things).

charlieaf92

Nov 9, 2020
cincinnati
Nice write up! How are you getting 198 wh/mile? I rarely see below 300 in my P3D and that's if I'm driving very conservatively making an effort to see how efficient I can get it. Generally I'm in the 325-350 range.

snoltor

May 16, 2013
Davis, CA
Estimates based on 'from the wall' - which differs for home and supercharging. As described above home level 2 charging is assumed to be 85% efficient - so for every 85 kWh stored in the pack, 100 were sent from the wall. Supercharging assumed to be 92% efficient - for every 92 kWh stored in the pack during supercharging, 100 kWh were sent to the supercharger. And as mentioned above the 8400 kWh the car reports using does not include power used by the car while parked, which I estimated at 1 kWh per day. So taking into account charging efficiencies, and BMS and Sentry mode power use while parked I estimate 11,100 kWh were sent to the car. So while the car reported using 8400 kWh I estimated that 11,100 kWh were sent to the car. Final efficiency is based on the 11,100 kWh that I estimate were sent to the car during charging.

snoltor

May 16, 2013
Davis, CA
Nice write up! How are you getting 198 wh/mile? I rarely see below 300 in my P3D and that's if I'm driving very conservatively making an effort to see how efficient I can get it. Generally I'm in the 325-350 range.
Couple things, mainly driving in the right hand lane. RWD with 18" wheels and aero covers help a little, but mainly me driving in the right hand lane.

snoltor

May 16, 2013
Davis, CA
Is most of your driving around town or highway?
For daily life my work commute is a little more than 75% highway, weekends usually driving around town. Overall total miles probably 70% highway. I don't use chill mode, it's really just me driving slow - when possible I don't go much over the speed limit but I am always careful not to hold up traffic, especially trucks. Also letting regen capture as much as possible when slowing. On road trips that are all highway I'm about 220. My driving speed is definitely on one end of the normal curve, story for another time.

Andy7

Dec 16, 2019
NJ
For daily life my work commute is a little more than 75% highway, weekends usually driving around town. Overall total miles probably 70% highway. I don't use chill mode, it's really just me driving slow - when possible I don't go much over the speed limit but I am always careful not to hold up traffic, especially trucks. Also letting regen capture as much as possible when slowing. On road trips that are all highway I'm about 220. My driving speed is definitely on one end of the normal curve, story for another time.
I don't think an explanation or apology is needed for driving at or just above the speed limit! I try to be at or below the limit on local roads and tend to go 5-7 mph over a 65 mph limit (and get passed all the time!).

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC