Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

snoltor

May 16, 2013
Davis, CA
Part 1 of my three-year review covers: Reliability inside and out; What could be improved; and What I like.

Our goal in buying cars has been finding a car that makes the least emissions, meets our needs for # of passengers and storage, and is reliable.

We traded in our 2010 Prius for a 2018 Model 3. Before getting the Prius we had a 2005 Corolla. We drove each Toyota for 8 or 9 years, and excluding oil changes only had service visits for the Prius to fix the squeaky dashboard – that problem was never solved. Otherwise both Toyotas were dependable. The Model 3 was our second EV – it joined the 2012 Rav4 EV that we’d been driving for 5 years at that point.

We got our Model 3 in April 2018 and have logged 42,500 miles through the first three years. Has this car been reliable? Is it efficient? Does it have low emissions? Part 1 of this three year review discusses durability and reliability...

Continue reading...

Reactions: tduffy50

SteveD

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Aug 6, 2018
Tacoma, Wa
Great review and I would agree with a lot of your comments. Especially about the rims being bigger than the tires. I have rim rash on most of the wheels. That was before they updated the software so that when you backup, the mirrors adjust to look at the curb. The rear camera was not very accurate at the time. When I buy new tires I am getting new rims and tires where the tire will be larger than the rims.

One thing that you did not mention is the sound system which I think is fantastic. 10 speakers including subwoofer! And I love that you can select any Artist and create a playlist basic on the Artist's music.

Frequent updates to improve the car in many areas is something that truly sets Tesla apart from other cars. I have another car which is a Kia, which is a great car in many ways. But minor issues could be solved with software updates. I have had to live with annoying bugs for the 5 years I have owned it. I'm on the list for the new Cybertruck.

Reactions: snoltor

Infiniti Pi

Dec 25, 2018
Summerfield, NC
Outstanding and thorough report—thank you!
I agree with all of your observations. The only negative I would add is the musty smell from the air conditioner. You may not have it where you are, but in humid environments like NC, I get it every summer. I used to have mobile service address it, but have now learned to do it myself—still time consuming.

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC