Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vendor Tesla Model 3 Tires – Choosing the Right Tires for Your Needs

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone experienced new Michelin Defender2 tires with 80k mile warranty. I am not worried about road noise much but prefer the range it gives and how it handles on wet/snow condition.
I have no personal experience with these, but on the Tirerack survey they're rated the best of the "Standard Touring All-Season" tires for "Winter/Snow", and they're tied for the best on "Comfort" which includes road noise and ride quality. I have no idea about their impact on range.

I do have personal experience with Michelin Defender LTX M/S on a Toyota Highlander. They have a 70,000 mile warranty, they have very good traction on ice and snow, they ride well, and they're quiet. Also, the tire compound doesn't really feel hard like high mileage tires did decades ago. It does seem possible today to combine high mileage tires with good performance in ice and snow, while providing good comfort.

Regarding Standard Touring All-Season versus Grand Touring All-Season, Tirerack says the following.
Standard Touring - Focused on longer tread life, while also delivering a smooth ride and sufficient all-season traction.
Grand Touring - Deliver a satisfying balance of good year-round traction, comfortable ride and reasonable tread life.

Regarding Standard Touring All-Season versus Grand Touring All-Season, Tirerack says the following.
Standard Touring - Focused on longer tread life, while also delivering a smooth ride and sufficient all-season traction.
Grand Touring - Deliver a satisfying balance of good year-round traction, comfortable ride and reasonable tread life.
Meaning that grand touring is a sportier class of tire than standard touring (but less sporty than ultra high performance, etc.).

In Michelin model naming, the sportiness levels are typically Pilot > CrossClimate, Primacy > Defender, Energy Saver.

Reactions: awokeinthelbc
Did you notice if the 245 vs 235 on the 3 does indeed help with curb rash?
The tire sits beyond the rim by about 5mm. The 235 is flush with it. Also higher load rating.

48BF1760-EA91-4A25-8557-F1DC6502C56E.jpeg

Last edited:
I have put a set of Michelin Cross Climate 2s on my M3 SR+. Truly magical! The car came the worst tires Michelin made. MXM4 acoustics. They were still noisy on certain surfaces, dry traction was so so. Poor in the wet and in light snow I could not even get up my not too steep driveway without a running start. Not to mention they were stupid expensive if you broke one. As a dyed in the wool Michelin fan I hate to say this but it's true. 11K miles and I was done with them.

The CC2s are only a tiny bit noisier and I have not seen a range hit due to any increased rolling resistance. The Cross Climate 2s are not Pilot Super Sports for performance but as a general purpose truly all-season tire they are the best I have ever experienced in 55 years of driving. They equal the dry performance of the MXM4s and just blow them out of the water in wet and snow. They do employ new technologies such as an oval contact patch among other things. Slightly better ride quality to boot. Check out their video.

Why are all OEM tires crap? This has been my experience with every car I have owned. Never mind. I know the answer.

• Funny
Reactions: vickh and drdumont