Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 UK Manual Towbar Accessory Limit of 55Kgs

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Resurrecting this thread, I have ordered a M3 LR with a towbar, but now read that the accessory limit is 55kg.

I will use it to carry a Thule 2 bike rack with two eMTBs weighing approx 45kg for both. I'm sure the rack is more than 10kg, so I'm over the limit...!

Seems that I might as well cancel the towbar. Unless anyone can share other ideas..?

I will use it to carry a Thule 2 bike rack with two eMTBs weighing approx 45kg for both. I'm sure the rack is more than 10kg, so I'm over the limit...!

Our Thule EasyFold is iirc 18kg so based on that you would be over the limit. But if you have not already done so, removing the batteries is a big weight saving - I only have one e-bike, but I think I could probably fit a second and still be just within the weight limit, but I would need to double check if that was the direction I was going to go.

I'm pretty sure that things won't break at 56kg, but there may be issues if things went wrong.

Resurrecting this thread, I have ordered a M3 LR with a towbar, but now read that the accessory limit is 55kg.

Seems that I might as well cancel the towbar. Unless anyone can share other ideas..?
Are those MTB's made of lead? They really should be less than 15Kgs even for the most burley full suspension set ups.

A 2 bike carrier will weight about the same, so total about 45Kgs.

Are those MTB's made of lead? They really should be less than 15Kgs even for the most burley full suspension set ups.

A 2 bike carrier will weight about the same, so total about 45Kgs.
eMTB's do seem to be pretty hefty at over 20kg normally. A chunk of that is battery, but there is also an element of building them strong as you have help up the hills anyway.

My bikes (Specialized Turbo Levo and Trek Powerfly) weigh 22kg and 23kg respectively and the Thule rack is 19kg. So 64kg all up.

Batteries and motor probably weigh at least 6kg plus other heavier items (bigger brakes, strong frame etc). My analogue MTB weighs 11kg, so maybe I just take that..!

eMTB's do seem to be pretty hefty at over 20kg normally. A chunk of that is battery, but there is also an element of building them strong as you have help up the hills anyway.
Surely you take the battery off and put it in the boot, yes you have the weight of the motor but overall no reason for the frame and other components to add more weight.

The limits for the load on the tow bar ball are based on two different issues:

First, the load on the rear wheels of the car. The car will have a maximum permissible load on the rear suspension, made up of people, luggage and anything pressing down on the tow bar ball.

Second, the absolute load that the tow hitch can take. From the posts above for the M3 this is 100kg

So, as long as the loading on the rear of the car doesn't exceed the permitted value then bikes and carriers up to 100kg would seem to be OK.

Towing a caravan is a second issue, the Caravan Club recommend that the weight on the ball is 4% of the weight of the van, so a 1 tonne van should be trimmed to put a 40kg load on the ball.
In some countries the load on the ball is linked to allowed speed limits. It gets very complicated.

The limits for the load on the tow bar ball are based on two different issues:

First, the load on the rear wheels of the car. The car will have a maximum permissible load on the rear suspension, made up of people, luggage and anything pressing down on the tow bar ball.

Second, the absolute load that the tow hitch can take. From the posts above for the M3 this is 100kg

So, as long as the loading on the rear of the car doesn't exceed the permitted value then bikes and carriers up to 100kg would seem to be OK.

And the third issue is turning moments. So an unsupported load at a distance from the tow hitch/pivot point will exert more vertical force than a load immediately above the tow hitch. Hence centre of gravity of the unsupported load is important. I am sure Tesla are giving a safe value, and there are safety margins built into nose weight etc, but if you have an issue (warranty, accident etc), the Tesla stated value will carry a lot of weight in assessing liability.

And the third issue is turning moments. So an unsupported load at a distance from the tow hitch/pivot point will exert more vertical force than a load immediately above the tow hitch. Hence centre of gravity of the unsupported load is important. I am sure Tesla are giving a safe value, and there are safety margins built into nose weight etc, but if you have an issue (warranty, accident etc), the Tesla stated value will carry a lot of weight in assessing liability.
I’ve cancelled the tow hitch.

For my use case I’m outside the operating specification from Tesla. While I’m 90% sure there wouldn’t be a real world issue, I don’t want to be worrying about the chance something goes wrong and either warranty and/or insurance is invalidated.

Weight limit has been increased to 72kg in the online manual in the car. Great news.
F9ACE3EC-D810-4DBF-B17A-1D05A6BDF2BB.jpeg

Reactions: Cardo
Hmm, I think this may be an error? The tyre sizes are wrong. The aero wheels are 18”. I’ve just had a look at the online manual for the UK model and it still shows 55kg, listing 18“, 19” and 20” tyres, which are the correct sizes.
Hmmm, so it does. I’m wondering now is it incorrectly copied over from the Model Y manual which is showing 72kg in the online manual. But then again it specifically says Model 3 I’m the text. Is the manual in the car screen still showing 55kg for yours?

Hmmm, so it does. I’m wondering now is it incorrectly copied over from the Model Y manual which is showing 72kg in the online manual. But then again it specifically says Model 3 I’m the text. Is the manual in the car screen still showing 55kg for yours
Hmmm, so it does. I’m wondering now is it incorrectly copied over from the Model Y manual which is showing 72kg in the online manual. But then again it specifically says Model 3 I’m the text. Is the manual in the car screen still showing 55kg for yours?
Sent this at the same time as your reply. Still hoping the change to 72kg is correct (given it is showing in my car as 72kg) but suspect it is a mistake by Tesla.

If you have a hitch and 4 bikes then a small box trailer may be the way to go as if you scratch your paint you will likely be paying more than the price of a small trailer to fix it. Also fancy bike racks can themselves be expensive.