Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 UK Manual Towbar Accessory Limit of 55Kgs

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Reading on other forums some drivers in the eu safe stating their tow hitch nose weight to be 91kg - why is it so much lower in the uk? The cars are the same I thought so is it a regulatory thing?

also I bought a Thule velospace xt 4 specifically to carry 4 bikes but if the weight is 55kg, we have no chance and could only carry 2. This would be crazy.

Have I got this right?

Final question the electrical hookup for the bike rack is 7 pin. It plugs into the Tesla fine and the lights work, but it feels very lose and low (risk of hitting speed bumps) should it feels loose? Or is there a clip or some way to lock it in?

This is a fab resource and any help would be great as I certainly don’t want to damage the car or the mew bike rack.
Thanks in advance

Reading on other forums some drivers in the eu safe stating their tow hitch nose weight to be 91kg - why is it so much lower in the uk? The cars are the same I thought so is it a regulatory thing?

Its stated in the Software version: 2020.44 Europe manual - https://www.tesla.com/sites/default/files/model_3_owners_manual_europe_en.pdf

It's the same in the French version, so I suspect other European versions too, so not just a UK thing.

The nose weight is iirc 91kg, but thats for supported loads, not necessarily the same as for non supported accessories.

upload_2021-2-20_9-27-48.png

Its stated in the Software version: 2020.44 Europe manual - https://www.tesla.com/sites/default/files/model_3_owners_manual_europe_en.pdf

It's the same in the French version, so I suspect other European versions too, so not just a UK thing.

The nose weight is iirc 91kg, but thats for supported loads, not necessarily the same as for non supported accessories.

View attachment 638230

That is right. Similar story for my Model X. People get confused between nose weight for a wheeled trailer and weight for an unsupported accessory like a bike rack. The difference is that the latter puts an offset, leveraged load (torque) on the towball.

So 55 kg is your limit and that includes the weight of the bike rack itself. 4 bikes are quite likely to put you over limit, so you need to pay attention. In reality there will be a huge safety margin built into the 55 kg limit, but I wouldn’t risk going very much above it.

That is right. Similar story for my Model X. People get confused between nose weight for a wheeled trailer and weight for an unsupported accessory like a bike rack. The difference is that the latter puts an offset, leveraged load (torque) on the towball.

So 55 kg is your limit and that includes the weight of the bike rack itself. 4 bikes are quite likely to put you over limit, so you need to pay attention. In reality there will be a huge safety margin built into the 55 kg limit, but I wouldn’t risk going very much above it.
Agree. Our bike rack, Her's MTB bike, my MTB and a 7 and 10yo's bikes are 65kg, checked using a luggage scale handle thing. I'm happy at this, but I suspect I'll move one onto the roof with the next upsize (or bike to work might get me a lighter bike). We are sensible tho and put the heaviest closest to the car etc - the teeny 7 y/o's bike hangs out the back.

The rack I’ve been looking at is 19kg. Velo Compact 3

Not related to the weight issue, but I initially purchased the Velo Compact 2 but returned it swapping it for the Easy Fold XT 2 - it was a bit more expensive (mitigated by getting a bank holiday flash sale on top of a price match at Halfords) but much easier to store/transport. The Velo Compact box took up most of the rear cargo area of our then Passat Estate so I could foresee issues with it in the back of the pending Model 3. Not used it in anger, but do not regret the decision - far easier to store away when not being used. The 3 bike version of the Easy Fold even has wheels to make moving it around easier. Its going to be slightly heavier than the Compact though.

That's currently top of my short list. How much room does it leave in the boot when folded?

Not tried it I am afraid, we purchased it before we got the Model 3. I can say that it wont fit inside a Fiat 500 as when I went to collect, I had to call for my wife to come to the rescue and collect it in the Passat Estate :oops:

Best I can do is say that iirc the carrier was a snug fit in the box so if you could find box dimensions that will give some idea. They are surprisingly bulky though irrespective of folding or not.

Reactions: init6
Just thought I would add that the easyfold 3 is £700 ish!

We got our Easyfold 2 for not much more than £400 from Halfords - iirc the 3 was not hugely more, so probably still under 500. We benefited from a pricematch, plus an additional 10% for AA membership then lucked in on a further 10% bank holiday flash sale. When we purchased we were not in any hurry as we didn't have the car, so were able to wait when stock was delayed for the spring 19 period. But whilst waiting, it did allow me to keep an stock and pricing - I was surprised at the significant price matching going on - it only took one supplier to drop prices and Halfords followed suit. One day it was £6x0 or so, next day under £500 base price, plus the aforementioned discounts. So worth keeping an eye on pricing.

Worth noting that the Model 3 wiring mechanism for trailers does not have braking control, neither does the trailer mode software, for this reason I stuck with unbraked 750kg max trailer, currently on order - will update other thread when it turns up.

Maybe the Model X has more oomph and features when it comes to trailers but tbh not sure if I want to be playing around with larger loads on the model 3 - 750kg minus trailer giving 500-ish load weight is plenty for moving small machinery and is a serious amount of tip junk for non-commercial purposes.
If the model 3 wiring has no brake control then that must mean in the UK you can never tow above 750kg, so the 910kg limit is irrelevant. Unbraked limit only applies, which is 750kg

Just noticed that the official 2 bike tow hitch rack has a stated 54kg max cargo weight. How does that tally with the 55kg limit inclusive of rack weight (assuming the rack weighs more than 1kg!!)? Seems to suggest the 55kg limit in the manual is just wrong.

Attachments

• AAFEAB8F-8D75-4E63-8357-CA461FC74666.jpeg
    AAFEAB8F-8D75-4E63-8357-CA461FC74666.jpeg
    220.2 KB · Views: 78
Have a looks at other bike racks and you'll see they all have a weight limit. I presume for the plastic/metal parts of the rack. Put more than 54kg on it and the rack may break.
This is separate to the limit of the tow hitch.

If the model 3 wiring has no brake control then that must mean in the UK you can never tow above 750kg, so the 910kg limit is irrelevant. Unbraked limit only applies, which is 750kg

Braked trailers do not depend on control from the car. It's a mechanical system that compresses when the car decelerates and causes the brakes on the trailer to activate. You can tow with a braked trailer up to the car's limit.