Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 Vs 10 inches of snow

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Having AWD and good tires goes a long way. I live in Skokie, IL and we had about 9-10 inches of snow. They almost never clear the alleys, so I decided to drive my Tesla out of the garage. To my surprise, I went through 9-10 inches of snow like nothing. My Prius and Camaro would've gotten stuck there.

I have a video of it but not sure if it's allowed to post here but I'll do it anyways. :rolleyes:

The thing that isn't discussed or seemingly considered is that in general, most cars won't be able to drive on 10 inches of snow. Not because of bad tire traction, but because the tires just don't touch the ground!!

I believe that I'm seeing that the Model 3 has about 5 inches of ground clearance. Evidently this was very light and easily compactable snow.

Years ago, I was driving down off the top of a mountain in my Honda, decided to pull over to a pull-off for a few minutes, got in the car and it wouldn't move. Got out, realized that the reason was that as I was coming down, I essentially slid up onto a pile of snow. I got out and rocked the car a bunch and was then able to continue.

If it had been 10 inches of wetter snow, it would have never made it, well, it would probably have pushed itself far enough on top of the snow where it would have gotten stuck.

I have a dual motor 3 and an X. I found the 3 very good, though you can hear the traction control going on and off quite noticeably. But the X is definitely more sure footed. I'm exaggerating a bit, but it's almost like there's no snow when you're driving the X. I'm not sure if it's because the car is heavier, wider, tires are bigger, or more ground clearance. And you can't hear the traction control working when inside the car. Both cars have stock mud and snow all season tires (didn't upgrade to bigger wheels in either car).