Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 vs BMW 3-series - a personal view

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
OK, I love it. BUT here in Texas the range MUST be 400 miles to cross West Texas from Corpus Christi to El Passo. I cannot sit at a charger waiting for a full charge only to find it runs out 20 miles short of the next charger. I could die 20 miles out in the desert.

I fail to see the problem...
Untitled.jpg

Reactions: Yankees
Great read, thank you for writing it.

I have recently placed an order so out of interest, after placing your order, how long did it take to get more information / a delivery date?

Well, I ordered on Aug 13th and the first formal communication I got was a text on Sept 21st with a collection appointment on Sept 30th. However, I did send a WhatsApp msg to the guy in the Solihull store who was super helpful and he told me early Sept that I had a car allocated, which I confirmed in my "hidden VIN" in the page source.

I fail to see the problem...View attachment 463859
I've driven two separate Model 3s the same 1,500 mile (2,415 km) route from Los Angeles -> Dallas via the I-40 to El Paso & I-20 to Dallas route. One was a 3D LR non-P w/ 19s, and the other a P3D+ (the one with 20s that gets s#*t efficiency even at 65 MPH). Zero issues with range and SCing, and I made the same stops (I actually skipped a planned SC in the non-P, and a different planned one in the P3D+). In the P3D+ I drove parts of the desert route at the maximum speed AutoPilot allows (90 MPH), efficiency be damned. My longest leg was 224 miles @ 106% Efficiency (215 Wh/Mile in the 3D non-P w/ OEM 19s), this used 68% of battery capacity, an estimated 48 kWh; I left at 92% and arrived at 24%. This was between the Wilcox and El Paso SCs, and is the leg where I skipped a planned stop because I felt like driving for longer. I normally prefer shorter stints, usually by the time I get back from using the facilities the car is charged to where it needs to be so I arrive at the next SC with my preferred buffer -- this also allows most/all of the charging to be in the sweetspot of charging speed on the LR pack, I try to arrive at slightly under 20% and charge to 55-70% depending on how far the next SC is. The above 224 mile leg just kinda happened, I took a little longer at the Wilcox stop and I ended up way way overcharging (to 92%!) and that's what ultimately drove the decision to skip a planned SC stop and keep going because I didn't feel nature calling and efficiency/battery SoC was looking great.

I'm relating this because it's absolutely not an issue, the LR in particular affords great flexibility on the existing SC network even in some of the remote/desert areas I drove thru in the US.

P.S. Sorry to our UK hosts, tho I hope you find this at least mildly interesting ;)

Great review, thanks!

I had a 2010 Infiniti G37x which was supposed to be a BMW 3 series killer/competitor depending on who you read. I loved that car. It was fast (330 hp), handled great and was really fun to drive.

I recently bought the LR AWD Model 3. The process was amazing. My son and I showed up, and took the 3 out for a half hour test drive. The rep answered all our questions, pointed out the important points of the car and left us alone. No pressure, no smarmy sales guy. Every other place i have been, Honda, Mazda, Infiniti, Toyota, Acura has made me want to shower when I got home. Negotiating a trade in value, true pain. Tesla gave me a firm figure for my trade in, maybe a little low, but reasonable and no hassle.

I ordered the car with a text to my sales rep. 9 days later, I drove in, and picked up my Tesla. I had to wait an extra half hour, in a nicely appointed waiting area with designer coffee and tea. It was near quarter end, and the rep said they moved a ton of cars that day. Long and short, the whole process was refreshing and simple.

I love the model 3, you dont get quite the same visceral feel when driving a little too fast on the back road twisties as the Infiniti, but the massive acceleration, luxurious ride, and amazing tech make me look for reasons to drive this car. You feel like a god when you mash the accelerator. When I get v10 and Netflix in the car, I may just go to the garage after dinner and watch blockbusters with amazing sound.

When I bought the car, I thought I would have difficulty justifying the price, I don't think about that any more. I thought I would miss my G37x, a little, but very little. Tesla has built a real car company from scratch in a handful of years. Of course they have things to learn, but like every area of their business theyhave triedto rethink and simplify it. There are areas to improve. They will make mistakes. The huge high tech aspirations they have will have issues, but I have a lot of patience for that since I really feel they are trying to improve the world and my driving experience, whle trying to build a profitable business.

My advice to friends now is, if you can afford a Tesla, buy one!

I'm curious if anyone has actually done a side by side of the latest auto steer product in the latest 3 series and autopilot. I've only found a few videos of the 3 series and it seems to be very sorted in the sense that it tries to do 99% of what AP does - no nav on autopilot which is largely just a junction exit thing and a fraction of the journey - but it does the 99% as well and its nag system seems to monitor the drivers attention rather than rely on a wheel tug, pro's and cons of both

The Tesla system seems to be immediately held up as the best but there's a whole new crop of systems and as the BMW one will be a later version of the mobileye system used for AP1, and that still holds its own against the latest stuff, you do wonder. The mindset seems to be old school auto only release when they think its ready ad play it safe, Tesla push the boundary and if you're honest they have releaed some pretty shocking versions that no driver would accept in a BMW because of expectations

So.. back to the question.. has anyone come across a decent comparison between the 2?

Reactions: MrBadger
Great review, thanks!

I had a 2010 Infiniti G37x which was supposed to be a BMW 3 series killer/competitor depending on who you read. I loved that car. It was fast (330 hp), handled great and was really fun to drive.

I recently bought the LR AWD Model 3. The process was amazing. My son and I showed up, and took the 3 out for a half hour test drive. The rep answered all our questions, pointed out the important points of the car and left us alone. No pressure, no smarmy sales guy. Every other place i have been, Honda, Mazda, Infiniti, Toyota, Acura has made me want to shower when I got home. Negotiating a trade in value, true pain. Tesla gave me a firm figure for my trade in, maybe a little low, but reasonable and no hassle.

I ordered the car with a text to my sales rep. 9 days later, I drove in, and picked up my Tesla. I had to wait an extra half hour, in a nicely appointed waiting area with designer coffee and tea. It was near quarter end, and the rep said they moved a ton of cars that day. Long and short, the whole process was refreshing and simple.

I love the model 3, you dont get quite the same visceral feel when driving a little too fast on the back road twisties as the Infiniti, but the massive acceleration, luxurious ride, and amazing tech make me look for reasons to drive this car. You feel like a god when you mash the accelerator. When I get v10 and Netflix in the car, I may just go to the garage after dinner and watch blockbusters with amazing sound.

When I bought the car, I thought I would have difficulty justifying the price, I don't think about that any more. I thought I would miss my G37x, a little, but very little. Tesla has built a real car company from scratch in a handful of years. Of course they have things to learn, but like every area of their business theyhave triedto rethink and simplify it. There are areas to improve. They will make mistakes. The huge high tech aspirations they have will have issues, but I have a lot of patience for that since I really feel they are trying to improve the world and my driving experience, whle trying to build a profitable business.

My advice to friends now is, if you can afford a Tesla, buy one!
It's a real pity that we don't get the same pre sales experience in the UK. It's clear that the Tesla UK organisation is stretched to its limit and beyond - and the result is patchy customer service; in some cases unacceptably so. Thankfully, the car is great so we live with it.

I'm curious if anyone has actually done a side by side of the latest auto steer product in the latest 3 series and autopilot. I've only found a few videos of the 3 series and it seems to be very sorted in the sense that it tries to do 99% of what AP does - no nav on autopilot which is largely just a junction exit thing and a fraction of the journey - but it does the 99% as well and its nag system seems to monitor the drivers attention rather than rely on a wheel tug, pro's and cons of both

The Tesla system seems to be immediately held up as the best but there's a whole new crop of systems and as the BMW one will be a later version of the mobileye system used for AP1, and that still holds its own against the latest stuff, you do wonder. The mindset seems to be old school auto only release when they think its ready ad play it safe, Tesla push the boundary and if you're honest they have releaed some pretty shocking versions that no driver would accept in a BMW because of expectations

So.. back to the question.. has anyone come across a decent comparison between the 2?

Would be nice to know that. I must say, I find the AP the most disappointing feature of the Model 3 compared to its hype.

It is driver prompted, or under NoA it is driver confirmed. The difference is who/what decides to make the lane change.

In US, NoA also allows unconfirmed - regulations restriction here but I'm not bothered by unconfirmed as its view of what lane and my view differ.