Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 vs BMW 3 Series (Electrek)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, I went ahead and did the A4 comparison. I left out items (for both) that I thought were either insignificant, or that both had:

Audi A4 vs. Tesla Model 3 (cheapest models in both cases):

Base price: $36k / $35k
Wheelbase (in) - 110.0 /113,2
Length (in) - 186.1 / 184,8
Height (in) - 56.2 / 56,8
Leg room (in, front) - 41.3 / 42,7
Leg room (in, rear) - 35.7 / 35,2
Track front (in) - 61.9 / 62,2
Track rear (in) - 61.2 / 62,2
Curb weight (lb) - 3,450 / 3549
Cargo capacity: 13 ft³ / 15 ft³
0-60: 7,1 sec / 5,6
Top speed: 130mph / 130 mph
3-zone automatic climate control / 2x2-zone computer-adjusted climate control
7" center display, 5" monochrome driver display / 15" touchscreen
Black or white, $575 for others / Black, $1000 for others

Audi A4 standard features lacked or options on Tesla Model 3
* Auto-dimming mirrors standard / Optional extra
* Leather (gearshift, seating) / Cloth
* Heated seats / Optional extra
* Rear fog lights / Optional extra
* Power seats / Optional extra

Tesla Model 3 standard features lacked on the Audi A4:
* 8 cameras, 12 ultrasound sensors and 1 radar for crash avoidance features, standard
* Remote control by app (preheating, monitoring, remote disable, etc)
* Standard 18" wheels (vs. 17" on the A4)
* Optional upgrade to autopilot
* Optional glass roof, dimming/heated/autofolding side mirrors, electronic steering column adjustment, automatic driver configuration

-----------

Maybe closer than the BMW comparison, but I don't see how the A4 wins this. Particularly with that 0-60 time, which is honestly embarrassing for a car in that price range. And once again, we're not considering EV incentives, fuel savings, or any of that sort of thing. Nor did I do into the quality of the infotainment systems.

The A4 also redefines clutter:

audi-a4-rt-2015-0029.jpg

So you value design, but don't want to pay for it or think a good design aesthetic should be free.....

Got it
They're nice looking cars for sure - but for the mass market budget, is an expensive, bare bones Tesla really a better choice than a decently optioned new/er Honda, Toyota, Subaru, Acura, or even Lexus? The mass market doesn't drive new/er BMWs, Audis, and Mercedes.

Reactions: Big-T
I don't understand this. Tesla said the car would cost $35,000 and the range would be around 210. It is now producing a car that costs $35,00 and has a range of 220. Promise/expectations met, no? Yet, somehow 220 isn't enough because Tesla is also offering an additional 90 miles for an addition $9,000? Winter driving issues were the same a year ago when Tesla announced 210 but somehow that's a problem now that there's also going to be a model that gets 310? I don't understand.

Don't forget that they also said they were going to produce the higher end configurations first and limit the number of configurations from which to choose, and people are complaining that they're doing that.

They're nice looking cars for sure - but for the mass market budget, is an expensive, bare bones Tesla really a better choice than a decently optioned new/er Honda, Toyota, Subaru, Acura, or even Lexus? The mass market doesn't drive new/er BMWs, Audis, and Mercedes.

That's not the target market. The target is the entry level BMW & Audi. It's been expressed that way quite clearly, down to the dimensions and size of the vehicle.

If you are choosing to hang your hat on interpreting "mass market", then that's on you.

So, I went ahead and did the A4 comparison. I left out items (for both) that I thought were either insignificant, or that both had:

* 8 cameras, 12 ultrasound sensors and 1 radar for crash avoidance features, standard
* Optional glass roof, dimming/heated/autofolding side mirrors, electronic steering column adjustment, automatic driver configuration

-----------

Maybe closer than the BMW comparison, but I don't see how the A4 wins this. Particularly with that 0-60 time, which is honestly embarrassing for a car in that price range. And once again, we're not considering EV incentives, fuel savings, or any of that sort of thing. Nor did I do into the quality of the infotainment systems.

Let's be fair. I'd take a Model 3 for my own reasons, but some notes:

1. The Audi's 17" wheels are 5-spoke alloys, not 18" plastic-filled aero covers.
2. Why are optional features under "Tesla Model 3 standard features"? Think you meant to write "standard features or options" again, like you did above for the Audi, ;)
3. It's not just 7.1s; that's with revving the A4's engine at a dead-stop. 5 to 60 mph, which is much more common in typical driving, gains almost a second.
4. Audi comes standard with Apple CarPlay and Android Auto, which are important as Tesla's navigation have not been stellar and still no Spotify in the USA.

Reactions: Big-T and rabar10
Nice you you option the Model 3 up to a $50,000 (not including the Auto Pilot) but left the A4 at the base model. Lets option up the A4 to a $50,000 car for this you get

Quatro 4 wheel drive

Automatic head light leveling

Vehicle immobilizer and ant-theft system

Full LED headlights

Automatic headlight leveling

LED Taillights

Power folding, auto-dimming, heated exterior side mirrors with memory

Hearted windshield washer nozzle

Dynamic headlight range adjustment

Duel pain acoustic glass for front and side windows

Ambient LED interior lighting plus package

Driver memory seats

8.3” MMI center infotainment display

Bang and Olufsen sound system with 19 speakers 16 channel amp and 755 watts

7.0” color driver information system

HD Radio

Adaptive cruise control with stop and go and traffic jam assist

Parking system plus with top view camera system front and rear sensors

Audi syd assist

Audi active lane assist

HUD

Audi Virtual cockpit

Traffic sign recognition

High beam assist

5.6 0-60. (added by edit)

And to each their own on what they think of the cockpit, some like the IKEA look some do not.

-----------

The A4 also redefines clutter:

audi-a4-rt-2015-0029.jpg

Last edited:
Oh my. It's not meant to be apples to apples since it's not apples to apples. It's meant to be "in that market segment". That means, if someone is buying an A4 or BMW3, they will or should give M3 a look since it's in the same price range; base or well optioned.

Last edited:
Reactions: DR61
I did no such thing, and I'm not sure what gave you that idea.

Yet you didn't mention the options available for the Audi. So in order to get these options what would the cost of the car be?

Yeah, but I just don't see Tesla accelerating a move to sustainable transport with it's cars yet. They've started the conversation, but the movement conintues to limp along. Actually, perhaps Elon's goal really is to get manufacturers with the production wherewithal to go EV, which is happening sloooowly. Eh, at the end of the day, I'm ashamed to admit that I had high hopes for this car - probably exacerbated by me buying rumors that never came to fruition - that have been dashed by the actual details revealed last Friday.

Model 3 was supposed to be a game changer, but is really just another expensive toy. After 15+ months of me evangelizing Tesla and the Model 3, a few co-workers have already stopped by my office to take pleasure in throwing this in my face this morning.
Like @jelloslug says, I'm not seeing what they missed. They said they would make a $35k EV that would be competitive with a base 3 series without even considering the "EV" part. And it seems they did, from the comparisons. On range they promised more than 215, and base has 220, option up to 310 miles.

They are poised to expand volume by more than 5x and poised to be the first EV to break 100k sales annually (by a large margin). I'm not seeing how more quickly they can move. I see it as game changing and the initial response from the auto media seems to agree. This seems to be the car that will bring EV sales to the next level and hopefully get other automakers to reevaluate their EV strategies.

As relevant to your comparison, this part of the Motor Trend first drive seems to sum up the points nicely on the different strategies (economy car with EV premium, vs entry-level premium EV at the same price):
"As we pack up, I’m thinking. Recently I’ve been spending some time in Motor Trend’s long-term Chevrolet Bolt EV and with every mile edging closer to calling it The Automobile 2.0. With its affordability, stress-free range, and delightful driving qualities, I’m thinking that maybe this is where the second era of the car commences. Pause that thought. With the Tesla Model 3’s performance, slinky style, fascinating creativity, and, critically, its Supercharger safety net, I think this is truly where it begins. Here at the corner of Mulholland Highway and Old Topanga Road."

I think the problems are your expectations and whatever rumors you heard, not with how Tesla presented the car (to me it was very clear).

Last edited:
It's not just 7.1s; that's with revving the A4's engine at a dead-stop. 5 to 60 mph, which is much more common in typical driving, gains almost a second.

Common in typical driving? You must live in indiana.

In the real world of driving an EV is always faster than an ICE car with similar specs. It was really dumb for Tesla to get into horsepower numbers. Encouraging the comparison of peak ICE horsepower to power from a motor is inaccurate and makes the gas car look better than it is.

Reactions: bhzmark and gavine
Yet you didn't mention the options available for the Audi. So in order to get these options what would the cost of the car be?

If you think I left off mentioning some options worthy of mention for the Audi, then feel free to add them, but all of the specs for the Model 3 are for the base model, and everything that's an option is listed as an option.

Note that these are also going to be the slowest Model 3s you're ever going to be able to get. In addition to the larger pack decreasing acceleration time, AWD (even without a performance version) will also decrease acceleration time, and obviously any performance versions would blow away the acceleration of any other vehicles in their class.

Last edited:
Then maybe you should of made a separate section for options instead of putting it under standard features lacked on the Audi A4

If you think I left off mentioning some options worthy of mention for the Audi, then feel free to add them, but all of the specs for the Model 3 are for the base model, and everything that's an option is listed as an option.

Yesterday I went into GM dealership. Dealer words: "We dont have Bolt on display neither you can testdrive it. Ordering is available, with January delivery." Does not look like they have overstock issues with Bolt.
In Canada availability is restricted, especially for those of us who live in provinces without rebates. In the US there's a reported 110 day stock backlog at dealerships.