TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

TESLA MODEL 3 vs BMW I3 vs CHEVY BOLT - Comparison

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by Buckeye2320, May 11, 2016.

1. Buckeye2320

Buckeye2320 Member

Got to watch this!!!!

• Funny x 7
    • Like x 1
  2. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

Okay, that's ridiculous. "Comparing" two cars that only exist as prototypes and are not yet in production with a car that has been in production for over a year. Not worth watching, in my opinion.

3. gregincal

gregincal Active Member

It just shows the scarcity of electric cars that anybody would think to compare them at all. One of these cars is not like the others.

3comp2.jpg

• Like x 6
    • Informative x 2
  4. ecarfan

Greg, I agree. However, your composite image shows an S, not a 3. The video linked to by the OP claims to be comparing the 3 to those other two EVs.

5. Kenypowa

Kenypowa Member

Looks like a 3 to me. Maybe he edited the graph?

6. gregincal

gregincal Active Member

Um, no it doesn't. That's a picture of a 3. Just look at the door handles. It only looks like an S when you compare it to the Bolt and the i3.

(It's the picture of the Model 3 from Model S and 3 Side View Comparison, where you can see how the Model S is even longer.)

• Funny x 1
  7. Chewy3

Chewy3 If MacGvyer had a beard

I hope there doesn't become a large fanboyism rivalry. One thing I hated about the Chevy forums I was on was that a large chunk of them REFUSED to acknowledge anything good from Ford. Chevy was Holy to them and Ford the Devil.

Tesla definitely appears to be the best pick so far - but I'm not going to point and laugh at all the other EVs.

• Like x 5
  8. wallet.dat

wallet.dat Member

I'd rather see a Mod3 PXXD vs. BMW M3 comparison. Indeed, Elon has said from the get-go that the Mod3 will be competition for the BMW 3-series. I guess the i3 might fall into that category, but certainly not a Chevrolet Volt.

9. Tiberius

Tiberius Member

Guilty as charged here... I hate both of them based on bad ownership experiences. Swore off all American cars (not counting Tesla, of course) after the 8th thing broke on my mustang in two years.

10. Jeff N

Jeff N Active Member

Why? Interior materials quality? Nameplate image?

11. Canuck

Canuck Active Member

It's not a competition among EV's ! ! ! Let's make fun of ICE vehicles. They're more than deserving of it. I own a Leaf. Now, there's a car that's really easy to make fun of -- it's strange they left it out of the video. But it's been a great car, as is the i3 and I am certain the Bolt will be too. Tesla out-classes them all, of course, but it needs to stay classy and this doesn't help with that effort, at least in my opinion.

• Like x 1
  12. stopcrazypp

stopcrazypp Well-Known Member

Tesla officially will not compare the Model 3 to the Bolt and practically never mentions it (so far they only respond when journalists bring it up). However, GM has shown they like to make not-so-subtle pokes at the Model 3 and Tesla when they talk about the Bolt. That makes it hard for people to avoid bringing up a comparison.

Even Nissan recently made a poke at the Model 3, and I suspect more automakers will do so (since interest in the Model 3 vastly outnumbers any other EV).

• Helpful x 1
    • Informative x 1
  13. ecarfan

Nope, my mistake! Sorry.

14. techmaven

techmaven Active Member

Awesome picture. Can you please make a version that lines up the center of the rear wheel? Thanks!

15. wbrumfiel

wbrumfiel Member

I read an article today in wired about how GM beat Tesla with the Bolt. I'm not sure what exactly they beat them at. I guess it was time to market with a 200+ mile 'affordable' EV but if I'm not mistaken the bolt hasn't rolled off the production line to consumers yet. Talk to me when they've beat Tesla in full years sales once they are both on the market

• Funny x 1
  16. wallet.dat

wallet.dat Member

Maybe because Elon Musk said that's the competitive target?

17. JeffK

JeffK Active Member

It's sad that these other companies aren't taking EVs seriously and still putting out that small hatchback garbage. I hope there's a greater level of competition in 2018.

18. TaoJones

TaoJones Beyond Driven

I'd rather be on the receiving end of jealousy rather than pity any day of the week.

19. gregincal

gregincal Active Member

OK, here you go.

cars 2.jpg

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  20. Drivin

Drivin Member

Oh geez.
    Really?

And making fun of other cars helps EV-holes be classy.

Well ok, then.