Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 vs Model S comparison slides

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
. Be that as it may, it is obvious the original list was misleading and that misleading list was used by Tesla for a week - that is a fact.
It's not a fact. You have no idea how much it was being used, and for what purpose specifically during that week. None of us can say whether a single Model S was sold due to this list, either. It wasn't made public on Monday (except due to a media leak).

Whether or not it's misleading is, again, your opinion. Not a fact.

Colors: 5-6 observed [black, white, silver, blue, red]. Sig red has been seen and may be available for early reservation holders.
Wheels: 2 options [18", 19"]
Roof: 2 options [metal, glass]
Battery: 2 rumored [60, 75]

This leaves space for only 2 interior options, unless the wheels and/or roof are bundled somehow.

Colors: 5-6 observed [black, white, silver, blue, red]. Sig red has been seen and may be available for early reservation holders.
Interior: 3 options [textile/metal, synthWhite/heated/glass, leatherBlack/heated/glass]

72 combinations

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911
Roof: 2 options [metal, glass]

This leaves space for only 2 interior options, unless the wheels and/or roof are bundled somehow.

Why does everyone count the colors? They have to spray the car with something. I see is as no different than autopilot as it is getting installed either way.

Remove colors
Add: Drive 2 (AWD, RWD)
Add: Interior 2 (Standard, White)

Why does everyone count the colors? They have to spray the car with something. I see is as no different than autopilot as it is getting installed either way.

Remove colors
Add: Drive 2 (AWD, RWD)
Add: Interior 2 (Standard, White)

The paint shop has to be loaded up with different paint for each batch of colors. This is entirely different than installing a software package on standardized hardware.

Elon already stated over Twitter that AWD would not be available at launch, and his estimate was 6-9 months for AWD availablity. That's probably optimistic given Elon's history.

Extremely concerned about this for three main reasons:

- The frunk doesn't look any bigger without it in the alphas.
- It's a major selling point as they look to increase their footprint in Asian markets, providing both clean air to the driver and even cleaning the air around the car.
- Lastly, I want it.
It very well could have been designed to accommodate it but will just not be offered at the beginning. I think it would be mistake to not offer it for reasons you mention.

I'm still taking this "list" of features with grain of salt. I'm sure this just pertains to the 3 as what will be available at launch and not inclusive to future options.

My biggest question is what will really show up during configuration. Will you be allowed to actually configure a performance version with the caveat that production will be at some point in the future? I know one could configure a five seat version X before it was in production.

It very well could have been designed to accommodate it but will just not be offered at the beginning. I think it would be mistake to not offer it for reasons you mention.

I'm still taking this "list" of features with grain of salt. I'm sure this just pertains to the 3 as what will be available at launch and not inclusive to future options.

My biggest question is what will really show up during configuration. Will you be allowed to actually configure a performance version with the caveat that production will be at some point in the future? I know one could configure a five seat version X before it was in production.

This. I think they're comparing Model 3 "available at launch" to Model S "available at time of Model 3 launch", nothing more. Some people might argue that this is misleading, but no automaker uses "what is available in the future" in a comparison unless it is to a competitor and they are trying to slow down their sales LOL! (See all the great EVs, especially from the Germans!)

They are clearly trying to keep current sales numbers up (understandable and reasonable), steer people to a higher margin product (every business on earth), and keep expectations for Model 3 at a reasonable level (obviously necessary, especially for me! :D)

Wait another 6 or even 12 months, that Model 3 list gets longer, how long are you willing to wait? (When it's been Fing FOREVER all ready! :p)

Last edited:
Reactions: T34ME
I'm sure the 75kwh M3 will be ~ 42-45k dollars in the US so 45k euros. 45k gets you plenty of Audi....

For $44K US, I bought a fully loaded A3 3 years ago. It didn't come with HomeLink or heated steering wheel like some of the other models, but it was also the first Audi with the new generation of non-virtual cockpit MMI. Still has power everything, Bang and Olufsen stereo, XM, Nav, sunroof, etc.

I imagine you'll start adding those options to a Model 3 once you get into the $45k-$50K range.

You know, with the information trickling out, and things missing from the options list, I'm beginning to think not that they won't be available ever with the Model 3, but they will be available later. We know they higher battery option will be later. We know the AWD will be later. We know the P will be later. I'm thinking some of the other things like SAS will come later as well.

You know, with the information trickling out, and things missing from the options list, I'm beginning to think not that they won't be available ever with the Model 3, but they will be available later. We know they higher battery option will be later. We know the AWD will be later. We know the P will be later. I'm thinking some of the other things like SAS will come later as well.
Considering what's been released and what we've seen of exterior differences between the alphas and the RCs, what are they still hiding for the final reveal in July?

Considering what's been released and what we've seen of exterior differences between the alphas and the RCs, what are they still hiding for the final reveal in July?

The most important stuff: specifics on the driver interface. Not just the fact of the 15" single display, but how it works, as well as steering wheel, steering wheel controls, and control stalks.

Driver and passenger amenities: cup holders, storage bins/pockets, USB/charging options, materials quality.

Spec sheets say little about the subjective experience of a product. What I really want to know is how people feel when they step inside the Model 3, and whether the interior details make it a great product rather than just good.

It's not a fact. You have no idea how much it was being used, and for what purpose specifically during that week. None of us can say whether a single Model S was sold due to this list, either. It wasn't made public on Monday (except due to a media leak).

Whether or not it's misleading is, again, your opinion. Not a fact.

I agree it is not know how widely the list was used.

However, the the original list being misleading being merely an opinion... no, I do not agree with that. I think the argument would survive scientific peer-review. Already the fact that it listed glass roof for Model S only and none for Model 3 is a misleading item, that we now have confirmation on. Then again, as recent events show, even facts are hard sometimes. People sometimes have alternative ones. :) But I would love to hear your view on how the glass entries were not misleading.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: mmd