Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 vs Model S comparison slides

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Uh, don't we already know for sure that the Model 3 will have an optional glass roof and panno roof? It seems weird that those would be left off the Model 3 side if this really were from Tesla.
Couple of possible reasons come to mind:
  • All glass roof will be standard on Model 3, so no need to list this as an option
  • Don't want to pre-announce Model 3 options, so just leave this entire section of the document blank

I can't imagine they go that bare bones on a luxury vehicle. This doesn't feel right to me.

From the evidence presented in this thread that spec sheet is something I could have easily made myself cutting and pasting from various parts of the Tesla web site. Do we have any reason whatsoever to believe that it's authentic? Glass roof is definitely a feature of the 3, for instance. I don't know, but my instinct is to assume this is "fan created art" unless somebody gives me some reason to believe it's real besides "somebody posted this on the internet."

How is this official?
Is @model3owners from Tesla or did they just make this up?

This talking points sales sheet is a classic example of.................FUD!

Looks fake.

Thank you kindly.
This is from a well know source and I doubt he would put this out if he didn't believe it was authentic. People here come up with the most batshit crazy speculations and conjecture based on nothing more than a hunch, yet this info from a reliable source is what people immediately shoot down. Hilarious!

Couple of possible reasons come to mind:
  • All glass roof will be standard on Model 3, so no need to list this as an option
  • Don't want to pre-announce Model 3 options, so just leave this entire section of the document blank

I think the latter is more likely. The glass roof is standard on Model S today. If this is real the "options" was probably left blank on purpose for the 3 in order to sell more S.

This is from a well know source and I doubt he would put this out if he didn't believe it was authentic. People here come up with the most batshit crazy speculations and conjecture based on nothing more than a hunch, yet this info from a reliable source is what people immediately shoot down. Hilarious!

I tend to treat unconfirmed leaks with skepticism until proven otherwise.

This leak appears reasonable, but I'm not familiar with the source.

Here's a screenshot of the same document viewed in a web browser but with the addition of introductory text explaining the respective audiences for which the two cars are intended. The image appears to be projected on a wall, perhaps for a staff training session. It seems genuine to me.
Trunk is now 5 inches longer than at the initial reveal.

Last edited:
It's interesting to me that the spec sheet lists the glass roof as a Premium Upgrades under Model S, when it's actually a standard feature. This tells me that a) the sheet is a fake or b) they've decided to hold the glass roof on the Model 3 until a later date (i.e. until they get the HUD and whatever other updates over to the Model S).

I think this is on the edge of anti-selling with a "nothing to see here posture" on the 3 with the trained talking points in the S.

Authentic but slightly out of date.

Reactions: T34ME
I agree this is an anti-sell sheet. More evidence that Model 3 is a problem for Tesla's immediate quarter(s).

These are not options. These are some very very generalized specs that all should have been obvious (Perhaps with the exception of a 0-60 time) already.

It is also questionable how accurate these are concerning Model 3. If Tesla uses this sheet to sell Model S based on inaccurate Model 3 specs and next month they launch Model 3 with better specs than are stated here, they have another ethics question in their hands...

It's interesting to me that the spec sheet lists the glass roof as a Premium Upgrades under Model S, when it's actually a standard feature. This tells me that a) the sheet is a fake or b) they've decided to hold the glass roof on the Model 3 until a later date (i.e. until they get the HUD and whatever other updates over to the Model S).

It says "Premium Features" not "Premium Upgrades". It also lists All Aluminum Body, which is definitely not optional on the S.

The implication is that these are things that won't be available on the 3, although it doesn't actually say that.

Reactions: sigmo32
I agree this is an anti-sell sheet. More evidence that Model 3 is a problem for Tesla's immediate quarter(s).

It is also questionable how accurate these are concerning Model 3. If Tesla uses this sheet to sell Model S based on inaccurate Model 3 specs and next month they launch Model 3 with better specs than are stated here, they have another ethics question in their hands...
I'm pretty sure these would be accurate for the launch Model 3, but obviously not in long run (I don't see 0-60 in 5.6 being the top model).

I'm pretty sure these would be accurate for the launch Model 3, but obviously not in long run (I don't see 0-60 in 5.6 being the top model).

If they are accurate for the launch model, then I have less problem with that.

But things like 215+ range could easily be misleading when compared to 250+ on Model S side...

And it is not hard to see that 5,6 sec being slower than what a launch version could have.

Or that Model 3 having a glass roof on launch that is listed as Model S's...

But let's hope you are right and that this is accurate for the launch model and not misleading demand lever stuff.

Does it count if it's a lie of omission? They're making very little mention of the features of the Model 3, and certain limitations are clearly only applicable to the base model and/or will be improved when AWD and P versions become available.

It says "Premium Features" not "Premium Upgrades". It also lists All Aluminum Body, which is definitely not optional on the S.

The implication is that these are things that won't be available on the 3, although it doesn't actually say that.

Thanks for the catch - but I think you and I are saying the same thing :)

Does it count if it's a lie of omission? They're making very little mention of the features of the Model 3, and certain limitations are clearly only applicable to the base model and/or will be improved when AWD and P versions become available.

IMO, it could count.

Depends.

If Tesla sales overall gives a misleadingly bad picture of Model 3 to trick peope into Model S purchases in Q2, that would IMO be bad. We shall see...

We have exactly zero evidence that this is a reliable source. At least the crazy speculation is obviously that.

Thank you kindly.

• Disagree
Reactions: ikjadoon
I'll be ticked if these are accurate specs for the launch model, which I have been planning to buy since placing my early morning 3/31/16 reservation! I mean, this makes the 3 look like a Tesla Civic.

I can't afford an entry-level S, and it's starting to seem like Elon is a few more underwhelming leaks away from anti-selling me right into a loaded Civic or even mid-priced BMW 3. It just seems like those cars will offer more bang for the buck than what the Model 3 is shaping up to be, based on leaks.