Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 vs Model S comparison slides

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It lists less than 100 combos and no premium options. If that is not misleading, it does suggest a difference.

with 100 total combinations, that doesn't leave many options. we already know there are 5 colors, 2 motors, likely 2 battery capacities and probably more than 1 interior color. That leaves like 2 other packages (heated seats/steering wheel, AP2).

I think when this configurator comes out, a LOT of people are going to be unhappy. If they want to sell more model S cars, just release the configurator instead of wasting manpower on anti-sell sheets.
But that only tells you the amount of combos, not what is actually in the package.

We already know AWD will not be available at launch, so that cuts out the motor option. We don't know if there will be 2 battery capacities at launch either. That sheet seems obviously to be talking only about the launch edition (I think it is highly likely the P version is only 0-60 in 5.6).

Last edited:
Reactions: PaulJB
That leaves like 2 other packages (heated seats/steering wheel, AP2).
Aren't there cold weather features that are required for Canadian models? Maybe they will be standard with no additional winter options.

If they want to sell more model S cars, just release the configurator instead of wasting manpower on anti-sell sheets.
Super excellent point (which I have made multiple times). ;)

Not a reliable source...come on, people. If we're going to needlessly speculate for months on end, let's keep up with who has friends at Tesla. M3OC's founder has gotten inside info a few weeks before it went public more than once before.

He leaked "5000 cars per week" ramp two weeks before Tesla made it public on the earnings call and confirmed AWD's launch delay over a month before Elon made it public on Twitter.

not really a RC sighting but @model3owners just tweeted this out, a first spec sheet?
Hardly. Just a few known facts (minimum EPA range, adult seating #, trunk not hatch, 1 central display), some reasonable guesses (0-60 time, pay per use Supercharging, delivery timeframe, manual trunk not powered) and just plain guesses (number of possible configurations, trunk volume in cu. ft.).

Overall, a fair summary of S vs. 3 based on what we know and what seems likely. Many many more things remain unknown. All will be revealed in July...

Elon anti-sold me into an XC60. Put down a deposit over the weekend.

I like the big picture direction Elon is trying to go, but some things he does make me scratch my head.
Today I was looking at the 2018 XC60 plug-in. $62,000 but really nice! The M3 may not work for me especially as options and range seem to be shrinking fast. I may wait for a Model Y.

Not a reliable source...come on, people. If we're going to needlessly speculate for months on end, let's keep up with who has friends at Tesla. M3OC's founder has gotten inside info a few weeks before it went public more than once before.

He leaked "5000 cars per week" ramp two weeks before Tesla made it public on the earnings call and confirmed AWD's launch delay over a month before Elon made it public on Twitter.

I'm unfortunately not able to follow more than TMC and Electrek, though sometimes I check Reddit.

Reactions: ikjadoon
I'll be ticked if these are accurate specs for the launch model, which I have been planning to buy since placing my early morning 3/31/16 reservation! I mean, this makes the 3 look like a Tesla Civic.

I can't afford an entry-level S, and it's starting to seem like Elon is a few more underwhelming leaks away from anti-selling me right into a loaded Civic or even mid-priced BMW 3. It just seems like those cars will offer more bang for the buck than what the Model 3 is shaping up to be, based on leaks.

This anti-selling is really getting paid on thick. I've waited over a year anticipating a great vehicle and every day they make me feel like my wait has been a waste. Not a good sales tactic.

If this leaked sheet is correct, and I think it is, it tells us a lot.

1. No air suspension
2. No HEPA filter
3. No pano sunroof

Also we can make much better guesses on options.

5 colors
2 battery sizes (10 options total)
2 wheel sizes (20 options total)
2 cold wx or no options (40 options total)
2 Interior packages (probably includes sound) (80 options total)

AP not counted because it is software only.

Actually this seems too restrictive, anyone have a different interpretation of what <100 configurations means? Perhaps options that only involve color/software aren't being included.

That's actually why I'm betting it's wrong.

At the launch event, they very specifically said the pano roof would be an option. It's always possible they've changed things since, but it seems unlikely with most of the competition offering them.

Given how Elon pitched the HEPA as a safety/life extension feature at the X launch, I'll be pretty surprised if they don't offer it on all their cars going forward. It's a competitive selling point that isn't that hard to offer but no one else does.

There are only a couple things in any of the slides we didn't already know for sure, and they could easily be guesses someone made.

Tesla has no choice but to anti sell. There were people hyping up the 3 to be better and more advanced than an S or X for half the price, and at worst they were expecting to buy an S that was 20 percent smaller for half the price, which was never realistic. Ignoring the Osborne effect that would have on S and X sales over the next four or more quarters, only a really stupid company would gut their premium product market for a cheaper product line with less margins.

Reactions: cdub
Why doesn't Tesla just add in at the bottom
*Model 3 is untested buy at your own risk*
**Model S highest rated car ever on Consumer reports.**

Also, make the Model 3 brown, with bad lighting!

I would also reckon the stats for 0-60 are for the slowest config for the model 3 and as stated Ludacris, for Model S. I question the range figures as well.

I think it's authentic but I question the information given the motives.

Last edited:
This anti-selling is really getting paid on thick. I've waited over a year anticipating a great vehicle and every day they make me feel like my wait has been a waste. Not a good sales tactic.

Yeah, I know they're doing a good job of it when every time I see something more about the 3 vs S I just sigh and wish I had more money to buy an S. It'll be better when they switch gears and get us reservation holders more pumped up again.

Also, when you consider the cost savings of manufacturing at scale with the 3 program, the fact a lot of the Model S's features now show up on cars in the $40-50 range, the smaller size of the 3, and the fact the Model S platform is technically 5 years old now (I know it's technically version 4, but the hardware platform of the car is still 5 years old), I could see how people would assume that the Model 3 would have a lot of the features the S has. Like not every single feature, but a good chunk, at least made available as options.

Reactions: cdub
Looks fake.

Thank you kindly.

Topher. With respect Trevor Page at Model 3 owners club has credibility. His long history of tweets, posts and videos speaks for itself. He is a huge fan of Tesla and reports very accurately. You are doing the Tesla fan community in general a disservice by your off the cuff remarks. At least research his information instead of just giving a knee jerk reaction.

How about we start with 1500 combinations and reduce them by what we know for a fact Model 3 won't have.

I'll start:
No rear facing seats: 700 combos remaining.
No 90D equivalent -2^6: 636 combos remaining.

Last edited:
I believe there's only 1 motor option at launch: Rear wheel drive. The amount of power the motor can put to the ground will be likely dependent on the battery size.

My expectations are:
7 paint colors
2 wheel choices
2 battery choices
RWD motor only
3 interiors: base fabric, or upgraded interior in either white synthetic or, black leather

Same number of 84 physical configs.

Autopilot/FSD enabled is another "option" but the hardware we know is present in all cars.

I agree with this to a point. I think dual will be an option early but it will ship later. There is confirmation of this from Elon. I am guessing upgraded interior will come with a sunroof too. Kind of similar to the Honda Accord. There is also a distinct possibility the larger wheels are associated with ordering the Performance.