Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I did a Porsche Taycan Turbo run recently and made a kind of extended video comparing charging speed, efficiency, range and the charging infrastructure.

In my oppinion, the Taycan can barely hold up to a Model 3 in terms of range (at higher capacity) and efficiency and once the Roadster comes out at the same price point as the Taycan it will be pretty much game over for Porsche. So unless you care for the brand or just wanna show off based on the brand, there will really be no reason to purchase a Porsche at this price point.

I also show the consumption of Model 3 at 100mph avg.

My take from my test:
- The Taycan does indeed have an O.K consumption at higher speeds, but most people will never drive at 200km/h so they will never see that. It is on par with Model 3.

- At lower highway speeds of around 80mph the Taycan is around 50-80% less efficiant than a Model 3 LR AWD/P
Mostly due to its weight and worse drive unit efficiency

- You can expect around 210-240 miles of range, but only because Porsche released more capacity at 88-89kWh, instead the claimed 83.7 on their website. The EPA did their calcuation with 83.7. If you take the EPA and use 89kWh you actually come to about 235 miles.
Porsche Taycan reportedly getting enhanced battery pack to improve range

- At 100mph avg you can expect around 130miles and at 115mph avg you can expect 115miles

- The infrastructure is lacking and you don't have so many chargers each 150-190miles runs which is bad for the Taycan.

Last edited:
Judging a Porsche on the basis of range is like judging a landcruiser on speed
Not just range - efficiency and charging infrastructure. This is an EV after all, do you think Bill Gates and the rest of the 99% owners will run the car on the track all day?
No, they will drive it from Norway to Spain with 70mph and get towed along the way, because the range is short and the network is slow like the guys I show in my video...
Plus, I am interested in how far Porsche have come in terms of beating Tesla in its own game - drive unit and battery tech and from what I have the tested the result is clear.

We know that Porsche can make a sports car, the question was wether they can make an EV and how far behind they are on the tech.

Not just range - efficiency and charging infrastructure. This is an EV after all, do you think Bill Gates and the rest of the 99% owners will run the car on the track all day?
No, they will drive it from Norway to Spain with 70mph and get towed along the way, because the range is short and the network is slow like the guys I show in my video...

We know that Porsche can make a sports car, the question was wether they can make an EV and how far behind they are on the tech.

cars priced like the Model 3, or the Model S, are more likely to be sole occupant of a garage, and have a broader mission to fulfill.

cars priced like the Taycan aren't.

people like Bill have other cars to take on the track, and other cars to do continental cruising. and if going from Norway to Spain, he might just be on his yacht.

cars priced like the Model 3, or the Model S, are more likely to be sole occupant of a garage, and have a broader mission to fulfill.

people like Bill have other cars to take on the track, and other cars to do continental cruising. and if going from Norway to Spain, he might just be on his yacht.
I am sure "Bill" does a lot of track races with his car...Most certainly...

But if you actually watch my video and not just the comments here - you will see that a Model 3 holds its grown against a 200,000$ car pretty well. In terms of handling, top speed and acceleration.

And again if you also watched my video (why would you, it is easier to comment), people actually use the car for Trips from Norway to Spain. I am sure they had their "yacht" broken...
Which ends up in a disaster:

And when a 200,000$ car fails at the most basic thing a car is made for - take you without an issue from A to B, then yes, this will take a center place in the video...

By the way - you have a pretty strange understanding of Porsche owners - this is a 150-200,000$ car which in Norway due to no tax - ends up costing about 100-150k, which is 1-2 years pay for some people.... A Yacht costs north of 50-100 Million. A lot of people can afford 100,000$. A few people can afford 50-100 Million...

I am sure "Bill" does a lot of track races with his car...Most certainly...

But if you actually watch my video and not just the comments here - you will see that a Model 3 holds its grown against a 200,000$ car pretty well. In terms of handling, top speed and acceleration.

And again if you also watched my video (why would you, it is easier to comment), people actually use the car for Trips from Norway to Spain. I am sure they had their "yacht" broken...
Which ends up in a disaster:

And when a 200,000$ car fails at the most basic thing a car is made for - take you without an issue from A to B, then yes, this will take a center place in the video...

By the way - you have a pretty strange understanding of Porsche owners - this is a 150-200,000$ car which in Norway due to no tax - ends up costing about 100-150k, which is 1-2 years pay for some people.... A Yacht costs north of 50-100 Million. A lot of people can afford 100,000$. A few people can afford 50-100 Million...
What are you disputing about Bill exactly? He can track this car, and he can track, and tour in, virtually any other car in the world, because of the resources as his disposal. He's not bound to the Taycan as his only means of transport. If he wants to drive from the Seattle to Silicon Valley, the limited charging network of the Porsche is not an issue for him.

I bought the Model 3 because it has 4 doors and and it's fast and it goes more than 1 hour without charging -- which let me comfortably drive from Norway deep into Europe last month. And it has to do ALL of these things. Because it's priced at people for whom utility has higher value than other emotional qualities.

A 200k car falls firmly into the luxury goods quality. They're not measured by the same objectives. Because people buy them for whole other reasons than "how far can it drive" "how much luggage can i stuff in the back" and "how much electricity/fuel can i save". My Tudor and Grand Seiko doesn't tell the time as accurately as my atomic-clock-syncing casio gshock. Is that an issue? Do I need to make a youtube video to prove it?

By the way - you have a pretty strange understanding of Norway. They have some of the highest levels of consumer debt in the world. Higher than OECD/EEA/EU averages. Twice as high as Germany (relative to GDP). So affordability... we can devote another page on it entirely. Tons of people have shorter-ranged etrons. They also have other cars for longer journeys.

In my oppinion, the Taycan can barely hold up to a Model 3 in terms of range (at higher capacity) and efficiency and once the Roadster comes out at the same price point as the Taycan it will be pretty much game over for Porsche
Here's an easier illustration for you to understand: range is as crucial to Porsche/Taycan's viability, as passenger capacity is to the Tesla Roadster.

My Tudor and Grand Seiko doesn't tell the time as accurately as my atomic-clock-syncing casio gshock. Is that an issue? Do I need to make a youtube video to prove it?
Since you like allegories so much - yes, if your "tudor and seiko" claimed all over the place that they are superior or at least on par to your atomic clock's technology (they sync the same way and show the exact time as the atomic clock and are even more accurate), which is basically the case with the Taycan vs Tesla, then yes, I am sure it will be an interesting video...
And exactly this is the case here and the video has been viewed 50,000 times in 2 days already, so I guess it is interesting...
By the way I am not proving anything - I just compare facts and technologies.

Since you like allegories so much - yes, if your "tudor and seiko" claimed all over the place that they are superior or at least on par to your atomic clock's technology (they sync the same way and show the exact time as the atomic clock and are even more accurate), which is basically the case with the Taycan vs Tesla, then yes, I am sure it will be an interesting video...
And exactly this is the case here and the video has been viewed 50,000 times in 2 days already, so I guess it is interesting...
By the way I am not proving anything - I just compare facts and technologies.

So where are Porsche's claim (all over the place!) that they are trying to match any manufacturer at any metric? That they benchmark, say, the Model 3 for consumption at 80, 100, 130, 200 whatever speeds?

Your entire conclusion -- do you need it quoted again? -- is that it's "game over" for Porsche entirely due to range/efficiency/consumptin. Im saying Porsche's game is not contingent on range/efficiency/consumption.

Congrats on finding a youtube audience, proving your video is interesting. Dont confuse viewership with validation of your premise.

Exactly. It’s pretty’s dumb to even compare Taycan to a model 3. That’s about the same as comparing a Taycan to a Ford Expedition. They ven diagram of people that use are cross shopping an Taycan and Model 3 is about as big as those cross shopping a Bentley and a Camary. Dumb comparison.

and yeah, pretty sure someone buying a Taycan has one (likely 2) other cars. Porsche tend to be like vacation homes in that respect

I‘ll chime in as someone who seriously considered a Taycan 4S prior to buying my Model 3P last May.

I was daily driving a 911 (997 Targa 4S) prior to purchase, so another Porsche would have been a no brainer. But, there were a few considerations, and I’ll list them.

Price: Unless you have gobs of money, price is a consideration. My M3P at the time in my spec was $57k (then they lowered the price by $2k the day after I bought it, but they did give me the discount a few weeks later). The cheapest I could spec a Taycan 4S was $140k. That’s a considerable difference in price. While I could afford the difference, its quite substantial. That money in my investment account has given me quite a nice return in that time. What I should have done is take the difference and buy Tesla stock, but hindsight is always 20/20...

Size: Coming from a 911, the Model 3P is really too big for my preference. The Taycan is even bigger. Ugh. I wish people would make a smaller electric sports car already. I can’t wait to see if the Roadster will ever come out. That may well be my next car.

Looks: Subjective, but in my eyes, the Taycan looks way better.

Specs: The Model 3P is faster, has better range than the Taycan 4S. Both are still fast per specs. I still haven’t driven a Taycan, so cant comment on driveability yet, but, at the time I bought my Model 3, I hadn’t driven a Model 3 either. Range wasnt really an issue for me, however, there are still plans to make several SoCal to NorCal trips and SoCal to Vegas trips. Those are easy with the Tesla, as there are superchargers everywhere. It is still doable in the Taycan, but would take a lot more advance planning, and perhaps a bit more inconvenience.

Availability: At the time I bought my car, the Model 3P I wanted was in inventory at the local Tesla. The Taycan 4S was not, and would have to be ordered, making the wait several months.

Wow Factor: Taycan hands down. I try to make it to cars and coffee every so often, but bringing a Tesla Model 3 is really not a car anyone is interested in. I usually park in the spectator lot rather than the main lots. With a Taycan, you have the Porsche name, and it will always be welcome at cars and coffee.

So there we are, those were my considerations.

I’ve seen only a couple Taycan’s in the real world. And they are beautiful cars. A few weeks ago, saw a beautiful 4S at cars and coffee, and was so tempted to stop by the dealership on the way home to order one. But, I keep waiting. For me, I have to say the priority is size. I really want an electric sports car, not a 4 door sedan. My model 3P is one of the best (the best, likely) electric cars out there in my opinion, considering size, cost, specs. But, as soon as someone comes out with a real electric sports car (at a reasonable price), I’ll be pulling the trigger on it.