Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 Will only charge at 24 Amps

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey guys, recently my 2018 Tesla Model 3 Long Range AWD, with 57k miles on it, will not charge above 24 Amps on my home charger. When I look at the errors in service mode, I get an error from the Power Conversion System (PCS) saying the car failed to pre charge the intermediate bus resulting in the car saying "Pre-Charge Failed Boost". I talked with Tesla and they said to replace the PCS which would cost about 2k, but I am fine charging at 24 amps and would rather not spend the money to have it replaced. Has anyone had this issue?

Hey guys, recently my 2018 Tesla Model 3 Long Range AWD, with 57k miles on it, will not charge above 24 Amps on my home charger. When I look at the errors in service mode, I get an error from the Power Conversion System (PCS) saying the car failed to pre charge the intermediate bus resulting in the car saying "Pre-Charge Failed Boost". I talked with Tesla and they said to replace the PCS which would cost about 2k, but I am fine charging at 24 amps and would rather not spend the money to have it replaced. Has anyone had this issue?
Seems like this person was able to get their PCS covered under warranty

You will also see other related content if you use the search function on the top right

• Informative
Reactions: Silicon Desert
Upvote 0
I think this could be more serious than only being to charge at 24A with your level 2 EVSE. Unlike most EV manufactures, I believe Tesla uses a DC-to-DC boost converter located on the PCS board along with the 12V battery to step up the DC voltage to the HV pack level before closing the main contactors. If anyone has more details or can confirm or correct the above please feel free to respond.

Upvote 0
Seems like this person was able to get their PCS covered under warranty

You will also see other related content if you use the search function on the top right

Sadly I am out of warranty

Upvote 0