Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 Wins Top Safety Award from Institute for Highway Safety

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

The Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS) has named the Tesla Model 3 a Top Safety Pick+ award winner for 2020.

To qualify for a 2020 Top Safety Pick or Top Safety Pick+ award, vehicles must have good ratings in each of the institute’s six crashworthiness evaluations. They must also have good or acceptable headlights and available front crash prevention that earns advanced or superior ratings in both vehicle-to-vehicle and vehicle-to-pedestrian evaluations.

The “plus” is awarded to models that come exclusively with good or acceptable headlights, making it easier for consumers to find properly equipped vehicles. Of the 64 award winners, 23 qualified for a “plus” award. The Model 3 also received a Top Safety Pick+ award in 2019.

“The headlight ratings that have been part of our awards criteria in recent years have pushed automakers to pay more attention to this essential equipment,” IIHS President David Harkey said in a release. “However, finding vehicles with the right headlights can be a challenge for consumers. We wanted to reward automakers that have removed this obstacle.”

The Top Safety Pick award also requires a vehicle to earn good ratings in the driver-side small overlap front, moderate overlap front, side, roof strength and head restraint tests, as well as a good or acceptable rating in the passenger-side small overlap test. It also needs an available front crash prevention system.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Informative
Reactions: Brando
I am not surprised. Tesla has shown its commitment to safety, earning top safety ratings for all its cars. (With the possible exception of the Roadster, since it didn't build the rolling chassis.) Safety was one of the main reasons I switched from the Roadster to the Model 3, and I'm not disappointed.

Thank you, Tesla!

Reactions: APotatoGod