Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 Winter Tire Package questions...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How much range loss will one see when switching to the Sottozeros (all other variables staying the same)?
I can only give you an impression, nothing scientific, since I have too many variables that aren't the same in my comparison of the Sottozeros to the stock 18" Michelins. For my type of driving, I'd really only notice a loss of range if it were 20 miles or more, plus I went up one size to 245/45-18 with the Sottozero 3s that I put on my car. My impression is that there is a slight loss of range with the Sottozeros, but that it's less than 20 miles. That said, the Sottozeros were generally driven in much colder weather than the stock tires, and running the heater in the car hurts the range much more than the A/C. I might have a better idea of any range difference when I put the Sottozeros back on for this winter.

Just to note, the stock tire size for the 18 inch aero wheels is now an option with the Sottozero 3 tires. Unless you have a really good reason buying direct from Tesla, I would just buy the wheels, TPMS, and aero caps and then get the Sottozero 3 from tirerack or something else.

Hopefully Tesla will update their winter tire package soon to switch to the Sottozero 3's, but of course no one knows when or if they will...

I can only give you an impression, nothing scientific, since I have too many variables that aren't the same in my comparison of the Sottozeros to the stock 18" Michelins. For my type of driving, I'd really only notice a loss of range if it were 20 miles or more, plus I went up one size to 245/45-18 with the Sottozero 3s that I put on my car. My impression is that there is a slight loss of range with the Sottozeros, but that it's less than 20 miles. That said, the Sottozeros were generally driven in much colder weather than the stock tires, and running the heater in the car hurts the range much more than the A/C. I might have a better idea of any range difference when I put the Sottozeros back on for this winter.
Thanks for this info! That sounds like a good tradeoff for the added safety.

Let us know your thoughts. Waiting on mine as we speak.

First impression is solid. The handling feels a bit tighter than the stock Michelins. They are surprisingly quiet and I can hear a pleasant low frequency hum when driving over 20mph. Performance on wet roads as well as in temperatures around 22F was great with excellent "stickiness". I suspect it will be hard to go back to the Michelins in the spring. Will definitely buy summer performance tires once the OEMs need to be replaced.