Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 With 4680 Pack: Estimated Charging Time, Power, And Size

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

TMC Staff

May 19, 2017
It appears charging times could be competitive with gas cars. Tesla’s Battery Day presentation outlined big improvements in cost, energy, charging time, and pack size. We will show you our estimate of the new charging profile, an overlay of 2170 vs 4680 pack size, and an estimated cross-section of the new 4680 pack. We’ve also estimated...
[WPURI="https://teslamotorsclub.com/blog/2020/10/14/tesla-model-3-4680-charging-power-size/"]READ FULL ARTICLE[/WPURI]

Is the 4680 form factor coming to M3? Battery day only mentioned iron batteries for the M3. So far I’ve only heard about semi, S plaid and CT getting high nickel 4680s.

so forgive me for not being as enlightened as you.

I’m not more enlightened, I just happened to read the article. Your additional questions prove that you didn’t read the article as they are addressed within the article.

Predictions are difficult. Especially of the future.

Until there is an over supply of 4680s, I personally don't know why Tesla would change.
And I think the current battery packs outperform all the competition (without 4680 format).
Therefore, I see no competitive pressure at this time.

I have no insider information, no idea of all the factors involved, so I'll wait for the Tesla notice/press release.

side notes:
- It will be interesting to see if 4680 cell format used by others.
- Will Tesla offer 4680 making equipment to others? Another new business?
- Will Tesla offer 4680 batteries to others? Form other partnerships with battery makers?
I am certain Elon/Tesla Team considering these options and others I have not imagined.

Reactions: imola.zhp
I’m not more enlightened, I just happened to read the article. Your additional questions prove that you didn’t read the article as they are addressed within the article.

Key paragraph: "Our analysis makes a direct comparison between the Model 3/Y 2170 pack and a theoretical 4680 pack. You may ask why we chose the Model 3 pack to make the comparison when Tesla has stated that the 4680 pack is primarily aimed at the Semi and Cybertruck and Model S Plaid. The reason we chose to make the comparison with the Model 3 pack is that we know a lot about the Model 3 pack, so it’s much easier to quantify the improvements against a known baseline than an unknown baseline in the case of the Semi and Cybertruck."

'We know alot about the pack so we entered this fantasy world.' My question holds, this states zero about if and when this will happen.

Key paragraph: "Our analysis makes a direct comparison between the Model 3/Y 2170 pack and a theoretical 4680 pack. You may ask why we chose the Model 3 pack to make the comparison when Tesla has stated that the 4680 pack is primarily aimed at the Semi and Cybertruck and Model S Plaid. The reason we chose to make the comparison with the Model 3 pack is that we know a lot about the Model 3 pack, so it’s much easier to quantify the improvements against a known baseline than an unknown baseline in the case of the Semi and Cybertruck."

'We know alot about the pack so we entered this fantasy world.' My question holds, this states zero about if and when this will happen.

Did you miss the word “theoretical”?

The omission of the date this theoretical change will happen, actually does answer your question.

No one knows, it may never happen.

It’s no more different than if I asked what tomorrow’s winning lottery numbers are; no one here knows.