Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3/Y HUD Full LED Digital Screen Instrument Cluster Plug N Play.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just want them to allow us to program the display like I can on ScanMyTesla or like I really can on TesLAX, each for the iPhone.

Yes @WindPower that horrible connection to the computer is grueling, but you get access to all the data, not like connecting to the bus at the back of the center console or under the passenger seat on some cars.

Last edited:
The suggested GPS antenna mounting is not optimal, has anyone tried alternative mounting?
I saw a YT video where a guy mounted it under the dash cover of the wood and his signals were much stronger than on the passenger side cover. I heard that the white interior dash is aluminum so that may not work as it would shield the GPS antenna. I'm waiting for a better solution to this mounting location debate. Last thing I would want is for the entire system to not work properly due to weak signals. The mount should be hidden and still get good GPS signal.

Why couldn't it be mounted on the back of the Hansshow screen out of sight? Is there enough wire? Or on the back of the Tesla screen?

FYI...I installed in my MY last week. The connector to the computer under the glovebox is the worst part. Once I got it out, then I have that "2 minute warning" to get it plugged back in. I don't have large hands, and it was still rough. I had to put on nitrile gloves since there are a lot of sharp edges on the computer and cut up my hands a bit. No issue with the GPS mounted where it was suggested.

I used Android Auto (wired) all day yesterday and it works well. Like anything, you have to get used to the limits of the implementation. The biggest issue so far with Android Auto is the app (same app as Carplay uses) will continue to play music when you navigate away from the app, but when you return to it, it disconnects and you have to wait for it to reconnect again. This happens every time the optional front camera displays like when put in Drive or you come up to something close in front of you.

I added a couple apps by enabling APK installation. I am being careful not to add too much at once to ensure I do not disrupt the main functions. I hope to add Youtube Music and the app to manage my garage door. Then perhaps I will not use AA in the future. But Overall, so far, so good.

Doesn't seem to be a lot of enthusiasm for this, I wonder "Y"
I still am wanting this but the final decision will be my wife since she is the primary driver. Our Y is currently in the shop having the PPF and ceramic done. Should be finished today. Then we will decide. We both believe the ~$500 price is fair for what it brings so that is not the hesitation.

I have been keeping up on the latest YT experiences and the cons I see still affecting the enthusiasm are the physical difficulty in making the connection to the computer and the odd bugs in the software. But, IMO the benefits of the display features far outweigh the bugs which I consider minor.

The key for this is whether we will use the additional benefits such as Car Play. Many features are duplicating the Tesla capabilities anyway, especially with Premium subscription.

I should add that my wife is not into all the side features and her main desire is for the Navigation, speed, and battery range info directly ahead. I'm the techie in the family so I would be the one who would make use of the added features but as I said it's her car and she will need to make the deciding choice. If she says no, she could always change her mind in the future.

Has anyone determined how Hansshow implements the Apple CarPlay data link yet?

I know CarPlay requires wifi for data transfer, so I assume the Hansshow unit is providing a wifi network for iPhones to join and run the CarPlay protocol.
What I don't know is how this audio ultimately makes it into the Tesla system.

I don't believe Tesla offers a wifi link for audio input so I am wondering if the Hansshow is somehow receiving the wifi audio data from the iPhone and then converting it to Bluetooth to get it over to the Tesla, which would require data rate reduction and essentially be a lossy version of CarPlay.

Thanks for the video. This addresses the first half of the CarPlay link, that is, the link from the phone to the Hansshow.

Does anyone know how the second half of the link works, that is, from the Hansshow to the Tesla?

Thanks. That was my assumption as well, but I was wondering if there might be some unknown wifi link I wasn't aware of.

If the link is in fact bluetooth that means the Hansshow implementation of CarPlay cannot support lossless 16/44 audio like more traditional built-in implementations can. So it would seem it can provide the convenience and familiarity of the Apple CarPlay interface, but not the same level of audio quality.

I saw another video that showed the bugs in the latest software that caused the audio to be of a lower pitch. The Hansshow is obviously a work in progress.

My wife and I reviewed several YT videos on it last evening and because she is not going to be a power user decided not to have the Hansshow display added at this time. Her choice would be the default screen but didn't like the glare. She likes the information such as the odometer and the large dial clock. She thought the navigation was too complicated on the steering wheel. If I were driving the Model Y, I would have it but I like tinkering with all those features. She even had me cancel the SiriusXM subscription because she never uses it and prefers the local FM station.

I saw another video that showed the bugs in the latest software that caused the audio to be of a lower pitch. The Hansshow is obviously a work in progress.

My wife and I reviewed several YT videos on it last evening and because she is not going to be a power user decided not to have the Hansshow display added at this time. Her choice would be the default screen but didn't like the glare. She likes the information such as the odometer and the large dial clock. She thought the navigation was too complicated on the steering wheel. If I were driving the Model Y, I would have it but I like tinkering with all those features. She even had me cancel the SiriusXM subscription because she never uses it and prefers the local FM station.
It's always a good idea to listen to your wife. ;)

It's always a good idea to listen to your wife. ;)
So typical, after a couple weeks of driving the new Tesla Y she wants to reconsider the Hansshow. So when the budget is back in line we will probably get it installed. I recently blew our remaining budget on the FSD option. Maybe in another month the remaining major bugs will get resolved.

I'm a little confused on the Navi option. Ideally I like the detailed navigation on the driver's display on my Model S. Hopefully the Hansshow can do something similar.

The other issue is the glare, but maybe our side driver's window tinting we had done will fix that. Otherwise we really do need an antiglare screen protector.