Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model C Concept Design Study

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have to correct something that was pointed out to me in another post that relates here. While the sub-compact design here is cool, and while Franz can still take door design and overall styling ques from this if he wants, Tesla has never expressed interest to enter the sub-compact market. They hope, instead, for other manufactures to get into this area when Model S, X, GenIII are shown to be "the future".

Tesla C - Concept Vehicle by Dejan Hristov Yanko Design
tesla_01.jpg

tesla_02.jpg

tesla_07.jpg

I wonder how Tesla feels about independent designers putting out these kind of design studies with the Tesla logo on it.

I assume Tesla didn't ask for it, but wouldn't it have a negative effect on their brand, or the design language they are trying to convey?

These renderings will pop-up on the web anywhere, and without a proper context.

I wonder how Tesla feels about independent designers putting out these kind of design studies with the Tesla logo on it.

I assume Tesla didn't ask for it, but wouldn't it have a negative effect on their brand, or the design language they are trying to convey?

These renderings will pop-up on the web anywhere, and without a proper context.

It's a fairly common thing anytime a car is known to be in the works, but no design has been revealed.

I like it.
It looks 'producible', down-to-earth, cost-aware design with strong kammback

Edit: Of course, ignoring those advanced front doors and retractable rear bumper.

I like it though it looks more like a Honda concept study than a Tesla. There is not a whole lot of flexibility though when you get down to the subcompact scale and you remain aerodynamic. The retractable bumper like the door handles would be improved through iteration and customer suggestions :)

Direct link to the InsideEVs article referenced in the MNL thread that TEG referenced
Unofficial Tesla Model C Sketches Leak Out…Drawn by a Tesla Intern

Tesla-SubCompact-Concept-1.jpg

These sketches, drawn up by Hyonwoo Jason Kim, were released late last month on the Art Center College of Design's website. Kim, a Tesla Motors design inter from January 2011 through May 2011, likely sketched his interpretation of the Model C under Tesla's direction.

I truly admire the design skills of certain artists, and this is a prime example. The aesthetic technique of taking a flat, smooth, nearly planar element such as the side of a vehicle, and carving dramatic, almost contrasting contours is impressive.

There's one problem with everything shown here. It's from some design artist, not an auto manufacturer. Tesla Motors makes aluminum body panels, and I'm quite certain they won't go to steel. Have fun stamping out those body panels!!!!! The aluminum panels in an Model S requires multi-stage stamping, or otherwise the equipment tears through the aluminum stock. Looking at these striking images from the perspective of a manufacturing engineer, I'd say "no thanks." Looking at these images from the perspective of a mechanical engineer, all I see is wind resistance. I'm glad Mr. Kim is getting a chance to pursue ideas and express himself, and I certainly enjoy his hard work. They look very fun and I am sure some folks would enjoy owning a car that looks like that.

However, distinctive styling to me does not mean "looks like a cool toy." One of my favorite efforts in this category was the Ford Splash.

In a nod to Vexar’s comments, many times there are several elements in these preliminary scetches that never make it to the production floor. And yes there are other design elements and treatments that can serve to make the sides of a vehicle less bland, one thing the Pontiac Aztec was criticized for, while having a minimal or perhaps even a beneficial effect in the Cx department. Having written that, and call me foolish, but I am considering making a bet that something strongly resembling this design will make it into production by placing a deposit with the Tesla Gallery at The Domain after it opens.