Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model III convertible

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was just wondering, as the trunk structural bar is about the same hight as the side window line. May the reason the trunk won't become any bigger be, they already have a prototype of a convertible based on the Model III we have seen?
As we all know there will be more models based on the same underpinning as the Model II, we already know of the model Y, maybe Elon has some hidden letters for a future convertible?
What do you guys and girls think?

I was just wondering, as the trunk structural bar is about the same hight as the side window line. May the reason the trunk won't become any bigger be, they already have a prototype of a convertible based on the Model III we have seen?
As we all know there will be more models based on the same underpinning as the Model II, we already know of the model Y, maybe Elon has some hidden letters for a future convertible?
What do you guys and girls think?
No, let the Model 3 be a very safe car for the masses and let the next roadster be convertible.

No, I don't see that happening with the Model 3. Tesla's resources and capacity will be stretched to its limits just to get the Model 3, as revealed, out in the timeframe and numbers promised. They can't afford to siphon off engineering and production resources to design and build a low volume variant of the Model 3. For a purpose-built future Roadster, sure, I can see that being a convertible.

There will be no Model 3 convertible for a number of reasons, including the fact that the car buying public has very little interest in owning convertibles. Convertible models make up a very tiny percentage of all cars sold. No reason for Tesla to invest engineering resources in designing and building a convertible car.

The Roadster was a sort of convertible (removable soft top, not a retractable soft top) only because Tesla was such a small company it could not afford to build a car from scratch, and chose the Lotus Elise as a design it could modify to accept an EV drivetrain (a decision that Elon later regretted, since the necessary modifications were so extensive that the cost in time and money was much more than anticipated).

Convertible.png

Maybe..... How about this one?

Only 2 seats..... but. Maybe they can combine the M3 and the roadster.