Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model S’ success screwed VW’s plans for the new electric Phaeton, CEO admits

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

gavine

Petrol Head turned EV Enthusiast
Apr 1, 2014
Philadelphia, PA
“We were quite far advanced with the next Phaeton but it became clear it wasn’t enough of a leap forwards. A modern large saloon has to be competitive and have an advantage over the Tesla, which is the benchmark and in many regions dominates the segment. Now, if we go back there, we have to take Tesla seriously, and of course that is what we are doing with our electric strategy.”.......CEO Herbert Diess

Tesla Model S’ success screwed VW’s plans for the new electric Phaeton, CEO admits

Reactions: jbcarioca
“... A modern large saloon has to be competitive and have an advantage over the Tesla, which is the benchmark and in many regions dominates the segment. Now, if we go back there, we have to take Tesla seriously, and of course that is what we are doing with our electric strategy.”.......CEO Herbert Diess
It is interesting, is it not, that the German automakers take Tesla more seriously than do most others? In part because of European uniform support for clean energy and clean transport, of course. Partly also because Tesla demonstrated first how popular spectacular acceleration and attractive packaging can be, even with clear and persistent deficiency in features held sacrosanct previously. Even more so the popularity holds despite quality control that is poorer than competitors, servicing that is spotty and distribution that is itself weak.

Comments from various executives from Daimler-Benz. BMW and VW Group all speak to these factors. Obviously Tesla needs to address lots of issues that are conventional car builder problems. The members of CharIN are also watching Tesla Energy too, and Tesla is a full member. As we look during the next three years the CharIN forum active participants will be the key ones to watch IMHO. The interaction of European public utilities, equipment makers, charging networks and auto makers is now establishing how the Europeans collectively will adjust to Tesla and other forces.

This is fun!

HEY! No drinking and driving!! Stay out of the saloon!
OK, I cannot resist. The word saloon originated on old English from the old Germanic in which "sel" meant 'hall' or public room. At the time the reference was to places where travellers might have rest during a long voyage. Not coincidently the vehicles used to carry people on those long voyages also because saloons. Thus the word is the same but multiple nouns emanated to different ends. For curiosity, the word 'sedan' was originally the chair that allowed porters to carry wealthy people around.

My etymological source is an ancient Oxford English dictionary from 1989, all twenty volumes of which I still possess. I know it's online and updated but I sometimes am old--fashioned( I do not drink them) so I have no link.

OK, I cannot resist. The word saloon originated on old English from the old Germanic in which "sel" meant 'hall' or public room. At the time the reference was to places where travellers might have rest during a long voyage. Not coincidently the vehicles used to carry people on those long voyages also because saloons. Thus the word is the same but multiple nouns emanated to different ends. For curiosity, the word 'sedan' was originally the chair that allowed porters to carry wealthy people around.

My etymological source is an ancient Oxford English dictionary from 1989, all twenty volumes of which I still possess. I know it's online and updated but I sometimes am old--fashioned( I do not drink them) so I have no link.

I always wondered (apparently not enough to look it up) why they call sedans "saloons" in the UK. Now I know....thanks!"