Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model S 2.0 already on the drawingboard?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

jcstp

Feb 7, 2011
Belgium
But if Tesla can crack the anxiety range problem and build a car that gets 400 or 450 miles on a charge it would have huge significance for the electric car market. Most Americans drive fewer than 40 miles a day, but it’s the idea that they would be unable to make a longer drive that may keep potential EV buyers from plugging in and going electric.

Too true. Range anxiety is real, even if unwarranted in many cases.

As to Model S 2.0? I have no doubt they already have ideas for improvement in mind, but this article just mentions battery upgrades which can happen independently of a refresh (a model s 1.0 could get the new battery for example).

I would hope that Tesla is already working on the next major version of the Model S. Major model changes take time, and if they are not at least doing conceptual work on the next version, it simply will not be ready by the time that the market is demanding a product refresh. This is no different than Microsoft working on windows 8 before windows 7 was released. It is a common practice in both the automotive and software industry, and and I sure that Elon, being the forward thinker that he is, fully embraces the practice of always working on the next big thing.

For sure Tesla is going to add AWD to the Model S and when it does it will be much faster than the current versions. Shave at least half a second off the times of each version. So that Model S Performance is almost as fast as the current Roadster.

I would hope that Tesla is already working on the next major version of the Model S. Major model changes take time, and if they are not at least doing conceptual work on the next version, it simply will not be ready by the time that the market is demanding a product refresh.
I'm sure they're already doing conceptual work.

I'm also sure that the "Model S 2.0" is not literally on the drawing board, not even the electronic one, because their draughtsmen undoubtedly have their hands full with Model S 1.0 and Model X 1.0. Just to be literalistic here!

Old thread but new info:

http://www.manager-magazin.de/magazin/artikel/0,2828,888842-3,00.html

Musk: Tesla is highly vertically integrated, which makes it challenging. We build for instance the entire drive train, the traction battery, charger. For the engine we get copper and steel - out comes a finished electric motor. We also build the entire body, which is unfortunately more complex than I want it.I would therefore like to change the design later this year and thus make the production more efficient overall.
mm: First of all, you have to be investing again in new tools and machines. That does not sound efficiency. Why, then, the concept of change again?
Musk: Our Model S is still too heavy, despite all the efforts to save weight. We set, for example, to connect many techniques: more welding methods, different bolts, different types of rivets. Especially the B-pillar is ridiculous expensive and difficult because we had to be retrofitted to meet the Topbewertung in the crash test. This is anything but good design!

New crash testing?

Is perhaps "the Topbewertung in the crash test" a special German requirement? :confused:?

No... Google Translate just couldn't handle it. Put a space after the "Top" and it translates to "best rating"... Basically Elon is admitting that Tesla had to reinforce the B-pillar to get the crash test rating they wanted -- and doing so means that the car is now heavier and costs more to make...

Is perhaps "the Topbewertung in the crash test" a special German requirement? :confused:?
According to some translators:
"top-bewertung" (German) apparently means "top rating" (English)

SUBARU LEGACY MIT TOP-BEWERTUNG IM IIHS-CRASHTEST
Subaru Legacy mit Top-Bewertung im IIHS-Crashtest ::: auto-motor.at :::

SUBARY LEGACY WITH TOP RATING IN THE IIHS CRASH TEST
http://www.microsofttranslator.com/bv.aspx?from=de&to=en&a=http://www.auto-motor.at/Auto/Neuwagen/Automarken-Automodelle-Neuigkeiten/Subaru-News/Subaru-Legacy-Crashtest-IIHS.html