Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla model s 2013 - bent wheel because of crash

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
hello people, my name is Michael. i have a tesla model S 2013 and some drunk guy hit my back right wheel when he ran a red light and now my wheel is bent and i cant really use my car anymore. Was just wondering how tuff it is to get it fix, what could be the problems. i really love my car but i have no idea what to do. everything is working besides that wheel that is not facing straight anymore. i can still drive around the parking lot a little bit but the tyre is touching something behind it and the entire wheel is visibly not straight anymore. help? thank you, Michael

If you slowly move the car and watch the wheel, does is appear to wobble back and forth as the tire rotates? Or does it roll with no visible wobble, but just not pointed in line with the car?

If the wheel wobbles, then the rim is likely bent. Whether the rim can be repaired versus you need to get a new rim (wheel) depends on how badly it is bent, or worse yet, actually cracked. Check around and I'm sure you can find a rim repair shop that can give you an indication.

If the wheel rolls smoothly in a constant orientation, but not pointed straight, then you likely have bent/broken something in the rear suspension. If this is the case, then you are looking at needing to have the car repaired, either at Tesla service center, or via a body shop/collision repair center. There are "Tesla certified" shops. If it's just suspension damage, you wouldn't necessary need to go to a Tesla approved/certified shop, but sometimes independent shops find it difficult to get necessary replacement parts if they are not certified Tesla locations.

Either way, I'd start by getting it into a reputable alignment shop for them to take a look at. They can likely give you an assessment of what the issue is and best path for repair. It's hard to judge from your description how severe this is, and whether it may be drivable, whether it's safe to drive in current shape could be a different question.

Upvote 0
it was a hit and run david. the wheel doesnt wobble, just rolls but not facing straight as it should. The wheel is also touching the back part on the chassi of the car making it impossible to drive. im going to attach some pictures. thanks for the help guys, you are all awesome
WhatsApp Image 2022-04-02 at 14.48.34.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2022-04-02 at 14.48.19.jpeg

Upvote 0
it was a hit and run david. the wheel doesnt wobble, just rolls but not facing straight as it should. The wheel is also touching the back part on the chassi of the car making it impossible to drive. im going to attach some pictures. thanks for the help guys, you are all awesome View attachment 789143View attachment 789147
That shouldn’t be too difficult to fix, I’m assuming since you’re asking what’s wrong then you most likely shouldn’t do it yourself.

Tow the car to Tesla or an authorized shop and have them fix it.

Upvote 0
I agree with all the others that you've significantly bent and/or broken something in the rear suspension given the additional pictures and description you provided. It's still possibly given the extent of impact you'll find damage to the rim, but first step is getting the underlying suspension fixed. The car really isn't in shape that it should be driven until that's fixed (in my opinion).

Upvote 0