Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model S 2013 Superbowl Commercial?

Would a Superbowl Commercial for the Model S be a good idea next year?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think it would be great but probably not the best use of money at this point. $4 million for a Super Bowl ad is a lot for Tesla right now and they already have plenty of brand awareness without any traditional advertising. They should still start doing TV commercials at some point but maybe go after less expensive spots to start.

Can I vote all 3 "no", "not necessary" and "waste of money"?

$4 million dollars buys a lot of Superchargers, thats where I want the money to go. I think they will still have several months of waiting list backlog by 1st quarter 2013 and advertising will be unnecessary.

I think a Super Bowl ad is actually a pretty good investment. If you make an ad that people like and talk about. But they would be putting a bunch of eggs in their SB ad basket. If it doesn't work out they just wasted a boatload of money. But GoDaddy did it a few years back and it worked out for them. But until they are without backlog of reservations, and they can build up inventory I don't think any advertising is worth it.

Really for a smallish company a single Superbowl Ad is a lot easier to run than a sustained ad campaign.

how about just launching the commercial about a week prior to the superbowl so it gets picked up by the buzz. if it's good enough then it will go viral and won't need to be on the actual superbowl

"Zero emissions. Zero compromises."

That's my Tesla Super Bowl commercial tagline, preceded by beauty shots of Model S driving silently and number overlays on screen like "300 mile range" and "0-60 in 4.4 seconds."

Or if they want to play off the fact that it's an EV (and thus quiet) and the upstart American status of the company, they could go for the "America, f*** yeah!" approach and build an ad around something like, "The Tesla Model S sedan. Zero emissions. Zero compromises. The rest of the world will never hear us coming."

Or have Archibald "Archie" Bunker, go to get a charge at a movie or event and need a charge.
Edith: "Archie, did you remember the money for the man to fill it up?"
Archie: "Yeah, yeah."
Edith: "Well, pay the man."
Archie: "$1,$ 2, $3, $4, $5. (counting ones) Keep the change."
(Walk into the event.)
(FTB (Fade to Black))
(Tesla Logo)
(FTB)
On Screen Text: Model S. 0-60: 4.4s. 300 miles/charge. Zero Emissions, Zero Compromises.
(FTB)

Or something the like.

(Borrowed text from ryanjm above.)

Last edited:
A waist of money?....

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTs30CSIMTG-SZ6nLVCer_ac45MfcYP0XIlrIAxjYfgL-nY1PT0.jpg
?