Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model S 2018 MCU2, when will it sleep?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

ramonneke

Apr 26, 2018
Rotterdam
I have a Model S where the VIN is from August 2018 which has the MCU2. I'm using Teslafi.com and wondering how fast the car normally goes asleep.

I would expect that the car would want to sleep within the hour from the last trip but it rarely sleeps and when it sleeps it often takes a day.

Once in a while the car is offline immediately after a drive.

I've configured Teslafi to ping every 5 minutes instead of the default 1 and "Time to try sleeping" to 30 minutes and I do not have any of the "Try To Sleep Requirements" checked.

The outside temperature is now also below 10 degrees celcius (50 degrees fahrenheit) and I just want to make sure I don't have unnecessary phantom drain.

Reactions: Dre78
I've been trying to figure out how sleep works. In my case, I have "Time To Try Sleeping" to 40 min, "Idle Time Before Trying To Sleep" to 15, and none of the requirements checked. Ping time is default.

My car does sleep, but it is impossible to predict when or why. Sometimes it just does very quickly after a drive. Sometimes it takes hours. And since V9, when it falls asleep, it can continuously sleep for hours and hours. Before V9, it would sleep for 1 hour and wake up for no reason...

Edit: I also have MCU2 - got my car end of June this year.

When would you go to sleep if someone kept bothering you every few minutes? Stop Teslafi and it may go to sleep.

I do want to use Teslafi, but even if I fill in extreme values so that TeslaFi isn't querying my car for long periods my car is still not going to sleep. Hence me asking what are usually the intervals after a Tesla Model S 2018 MCU2 would go to sleep if there is no API access.

The issue is that the Tesla app always wakes up the car so I cannot use that to test if it is sleeping too.

I find the default settings, with "Try to Sleep Requirements" all unchecked and "Polling Time" set to 1 minute generally works quite well. The car is set for Energy Saving on and Always connected off.

Generally, the car will fall asleep in 30-60 minutes. Exceptions are it will wake up for 1-3 hours to charge the 12V battery every now and then and when downloading new firmware it will fast cycle between awake and sleep for 15-30 minute periods.

I also use Nighttime and Deep Sleep modes overnight and these also generally work as expected.

Setting the polling time to 5 minutes doesn't do much as Teslafi suspends polling when trying to sleep anyway, plus, long polling times will result in missed data. The Time to Try Sleeping setting may be a more effective adjustment, as it will allow the car more time to fall asleep before resuming polling.

Teslafi also checks if the car is asleep before resuming polling, and this check will not keep the car awake or wake it up if it is.

uAZOYMd.gif

Make sure the fob is motionless and at least 30' from the car.
Make sure Cabin Overheat Protection is off.

Going to sleep is not a deterministic process. It does it when it feels like it. If you wake it up, it's another crap shoot getting it back to sleep. Sounds like a couple of kids I raised.

If you set your sleep times at night only, then it won't sleep in the day even when not in use?

Tesla service advised me against using TeslaFi and that if issues arise with battery life, they will not be responsible for damages or loss of range.

If the car doesn't sleep when it wants, then the battery is being used more than normal. Does this really make a difference in battery life to draw small amounts of juice?

And if I want to see how my car sleeps when not on drugs (TeslaFi), how can I disable any tracking and then see... but then check how?

Kinda disappointed this wasn't in my face when I signed up in the first place. FYI, I have a Model 3 if that matters, and no wonder my miles drop off by morning after charging by about midnight. What a waste!

Tesla service advised me against using TeslaFi and that if issues arise with battery life, they will not be responsible for damages or loss of range.
If anything TeslaFi logger gives the information to diagnose the problem: timestamps when Model 3 goes offline, wakes, sleeps, etc.

When Model 3 screen crashes irregularly, I often wonder if Internet connectivity is a symptom or a cause.

I'm tempted to pay and use T-Mobile WiFi hotspot to eliminate Internet connectivity as a cause to Model 3 not sleeping, randomly waking, and screen crashing.