Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Everyone,

I wanted to put on some 22" AG M310 wheels on my 2017 Tesla model S. I did a lot of reading online and read that pirelli sport pzero nero tires would work, however when I went to America's tires they told me that they would not put them on. They said the load on the rims is less than the stock and legally they cannot put them on. I have seen several Tesla Model S running with these and am wondering if it will still be safe to run or if I am just SOL. The reason I want to use these is because they were free from my father and are brand new tires.

The tires are
Front
245/30ZR22/XL 92Y = 1389 lbs
Back
295/22ZR22/XL 97Y = 1609 lbs

Tesla model S weight is 4,469 to 4,941 lbs

So 1609x2 + 1389x2 = 5996 lbs

That leaves ~1-1.5k lbs remaining to be used for the passenger load. As long as I didn't have a full car with 4 ~250 lb people I should be fine? Why would mainstream tire shops not allow this ?

I'd be curious to know whether or not insurance would cover damages when your wheel fails sending you into a guardrail or worse at highway speed. Find a wheel with similar characteristics and the proper load rating. Why anyone would risk their safety and the safety of their passengers, not to mention the rest of the motoring public, simply to look good is beyond my comprehension.

Do the math, or if you cannot, take our word for it.
Braking, cornering and acceleration on a P100D can exceed 1G, but I will say 1G for easy math. To compute the force a simple triangle equation would be 1G down, 1G sideways = √2 total force. Multiply by car weight so 1.414 * 4800 lbs = 6787 lbs. Most of that weight will be on two tires. Tires are made to withstand this extra for short periods, but as you can see things get pretty dicey when you add in a bump adding another .2G. You may not corner hard, but there is no way to prevent that idiot cutting you off forcing a panic stop.

Tire and wheel loading is only static on show cars. The rest of us need tires tested and rated by the manufacturer or better.