Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model S 40kwh plus supercharger enabled - No Longer Available

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla Model S 40kwh plus supercharger enabled

Red Multi-Coat Paint
All Glass Panoramic Roof
19" Wheels
Tan Nappa Leather Interior
Piano Black Decor
60 kWh Battery but limited by software down to 40kwh
Tech Package
Sound Studio Package
Active Air Suspension
Supercharger enabled

Miles: 8300
Bank of America tittle
Very good shape and clean.
Delivered 06/2013
Sell it to order model s p85+

List Date: 2/3/2014

For more info, click here to view the original listing: Tesla Model S 40kwh plus supercharger enabled
--------------------------------------
This item is no longer available.

browseformore.png
--------------------------------------
tesla-motors-club.gif

MznnvnHVbteY2.jpg
rc5hYHZZcT0D2.jpg
gNhUaXgrPKNT2.jpg
pV15ukb33xUr2.jpg
Em3hNjJQKns42.jpg
E582H7cA5Qnq2.jpg
dvN0THbu5wXN2.jpg
s7wACqTDjqz22.jpg

Mobile friendly version: Tesla Model S 40kwh plus supercharger enabled

Go Mobile: Download the free Panjo iOS app now!

I was not aware that Tesla would active supercharging on a 40 without first upgrading it to a 60. Does this car have the supercharging activated, or simply have the hardware necessary to add supercharging at a latter date?

From Shop Tesla Gear Enable Supercharging

Available on 60 kWh only. (Standard on 85 kWh. Not available on 40 kWh cars)

But hey, they also said you can't upgrade batteries from 60 to 85 and someone managed to get that done so... stranger things have happened. Maybe someone at the factory forgot to flip a switch.

I thought that some cars that were on order for an extended time were upgraded with supercharging for free, but dont remember if it was 40 and 60 or just 60kw cars. Anyway, aren't the supercharger spaced at 150miles and the range of the 40kw car 160 miles?
WebRep

line-dark-horizontal.png
Overall rating
line-dark-horizontal.png

line-dark-horizontal.png

fix or remove your messed up signature

And the title, and the description "supercharger enabled" is misleading as it suggests that this car somehow has supercharger functionality now when it doesn't. Every single Model S comes hardwired for Supercharging, but none of the 40s, including yours, have the functionality "enabled" unless the car has been upgraded to a 60. The title incorrectly suggests otherwise, and the text below the title is outright false if this car has not been upgraded to a 60.

I thought that some cars that were on order for an extended time were upgraded with supercharging for free, but dont remember if it was 40 and 60 or just 60kw cars. Anyway, aren't the supercharger spaced at 150miles and the range of the 40kw car 160 miles?[/IMG]

It was 60s. Because they had said that 60s would be supercharger-enabled, and then they changed their minds after some of us had signed contracts.

The 'Not available on 40 kWh cars' might be a remnant of the old days where there was going to be a 40kW car. Well, there wasn't a single 40kW car ever made. They are all 60s that are software limited. So that 'Not available on 40 kWh cars' doesn't really apply since there are no 40kW cars. That being said, I thought I did read somewhere that they would not "turn this on" for the software limited 40kW cars unless you upgraded to a 60. Either this owner upgraded to a 60 and doesn't know it, or we have a one of a kind car here :) or maybe Tesla's relaxed these rules...

The 'Not available on 40 kWh cars' might be a remnant of the old days where there was going to be a 40kW car. Well, there wasn't a single 40kW car ever made. They are all 60s that are software limited. So that 'Not available on 40 kWh cars' doesn't really apply since there are no 40kW cars. That being said, I thought I did read somewhere that they would not "turn this on" for the software limited 40kW cars unless you upgraded to a 60. Either this owner upgraded to a 60 and doesn't know it, or we have a one of a kind car here :) or maybe Tesla's relaxed these rules...
Speaking as someone who kept current on TMC at the time, this wasn't a "remnant". The statement of "you must upgrade to non-software-limited 60 kWh before enabling supercharging" was concurrent with the announcement of the software limited 40s.

Did they change the policy behind the scenes? That's anybody's guess, but I doubt it.

As a 40kwh owner ive dug deep on this and it is only a software limitation. The supercharging simply bypasses the stock chargers and feeds energy directly to the battery. So the choice is just that tesla doesn't want to offer free charging to us 40kwh owners. Odds are we would expect a station every 100 miles.
From a business prospective it is a better idea to sell us the ability than a p85 cost wise. We can only pull 128 miles of energy, and most of us might only have one station in range if any. So to sell us a $2500 option that we might only use once in a while, and if we do, we only use it for 128 miles and that takes a whole 15 minutes so we all know we wouldn't hold up a spot like the p85's do. As i see it there was 600 of us 40kwh @$2500 so about $1.5 million in upgrades on the table ( or in the trash ) that dont require any real labor other than a software download.

But they might be saving it for something? In hopes of all of us who wanted to save money decide to blow $11k to upgrade i guess.

As a 40kwh owner ive dug deep on this and it is only a software limitation. The supercharging simply bypasses the stock chargers and feeds energy directly to the battery. So the choice is just that tesla doesn't want to offer free charging to us 40kwh owners. Odds are we would expect a station every 100 miles.
From a business prospective it is a better idea to sell us the ability than a p85 cost wise. We can only pull 128 miles of energy, and most of us might only have one station in range if any. So to sell us a $2500 option that we might only use once in a while, and if we do, we only use it for 128 miles and that takes a whole 15 minutes so we all know we wouldn't hold up a spot like the p85's do. As i see it there was 600 of us 40kwh @$2500 so about $1.5 million in upgrades on the table ( or in the trash ) that dont require any real labor other than a software download.

But they might be saving it for something? In hopes of all of us who wanted to save money decide to blow $11k to upgrade i guess.

Realistically you only have Supercharger potential because they used a software-limited 60kWh instead of a 40kWh. A 40kWh battery would charge 2/3 as fast at best and you'd be more likely to range charge to reach a destination. If you want a feature of a 60kWh-battery you'll have to pay for the 60kWh.

* Capacity ~ range ~ charging rate ~ 1/discharge rate.

Realistically you only have Supercharger potential because they used a software-limited 60kWh instead of a 40kWh. A 40kWh battery would charge 2/3 as fast at best and you'd be more likely to range charge to reach a destination. If you want a feature of a 60kWh-battery you'll have to pay for the 60kWh.

* Capacity ~ range ~ charging rate ~ 1/discharge rate.

Well for as for me, I got a roadster #112, p85, 40kwh, and model X on the way. But I still think it's bs to not allow me to pay to use the superchargers. It's not my fault they gave me a 60kwh battery, but since they did let me pay to play, and for me "it's not about the money". I bought one for distance one for around town, unlike most.

Last edited:
Well for as for me, I got a roadster #112, p85, 40kwh, and model X on the way. But I still think it's bs to not allow me to pay to use the superchargers. It's not my fault they gave me a 60kwh battery, but since they did, and for me "it's not about the money" it's principal. I bought one for distance one for around town, unlike most.

But maybe you got more teslas then I do. I know folks got 6+ out there.

It's about money and it's about the expectations one would have if they had supercharging. In regards to money, they took a $2000 hit on the books for every 85KW battery model out there (not that they likely did not make more than $2000 additional profit as a result of the $20K more they charged for it over a "40" model, but that's another discussion). Also, the more SC enabled cars they have out there, the more capacity they will need meaning more stalls they have to construct at the SC's.
On the other issue, if they allow 40 owners to purchase SC capacity then they would then be obligated to put the SC's close enough for a 40 to be able to make the same trips meaning a lot more SC's being built when there are very few 40's on the road, and only a small fraction of those even would want to consider buying SC service since they were purchased primality by people who planned to use them solely for commuting and short local trips.

The end result will be that every 40 that Tesla gets the opportunity to purchase back will be upgraded to a 60 by the software upgrade. This will give Tesla a nice boost to the resale value of those cars.

It's about money and it's about the expectations one would have if they had supercharging. In regards to money, they took a $2000 hit on the books for every 85KW battery model out there (not that they likely did not make more than $2000 additional profit as a result of the $20K more they charged for it over a "40" model, but that's another discussion). Also, the more SC enabled cars they have out there, the more capacity they will need meaning more stalls they have to construct at the SC's.
On the other issue, if they allow 40 owners to purchase SC capacity then they would then be obligated to put the SC's close enough for a 40 to be able to make the same trips meaning a lot more SC's being built when there are very few 40's on the road, and only a small fraction of those even would want to consider buying SC service since they were purchased primality by people who planned to use them solely for commuting and short local trips.

The end result will be that every 40 that Tesla gets the opportunity to purchase back will be upgraded to a 60 by the software upgrade. This will give Tesla a nice boost to the resale value of those cars.
I was thinking that a purchase back by Tesla would allow them to recoup their losses on the original sale. Btw Wish I could find an S40 realistically priced (in the $30Ks) that would allow me to become an owner again ~ reluctantly let go of my leased S70D strictly for financial reasons

I was thinking that a purchase back by Tesla would allow them to recoup their losses on the original sale. Btw Wish I could find an S40 realistically priced (in the $30Ks) that would allow me to become an owner again ~ reluctantly let go of my leased S70D strictly for financial reasons
This post is 2.5 years old. Pretty sure the seller is long gone.

This post is 2.5 years old. Pretty sure the seller is long gone.
Indeed. The S40s are really hard to come by. They were pretty rare to begin with, and any that got turned or traded back in to Tesla got converted to S60s. I haven't seen a 40 for sale in quite a long while. We thought it might make a nice second vehicle because it won't need much range, but couldn't find one.