Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model S 40kwh plus supercharger enabled - No Longer Available

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Indeed. The S40s are really hard to come by. They were pretty rare to begin with, and any that got turned or traded back in to Tesla got converted to S60s. I haven't seen a 40 for sale in quite a long while. We thought it might make a nice second vehicle because it won't need much range, but couldn't find one.

There are at least two S40's for sale in my area that have not been upgraded to a S60. But they want way too much money for them, mid to upper $40k's.

I think realistically they are only worth in the mid 30k's as the upgrade to a S60 is $10k by itself. Once you add supercharging you are paying the price of S85 for a S60.

Reactions: Akikiki
There are at least two S40's for sale in my area that have not been upgraded to a S60. But they want way too much money for them, mid to upper $40k's.

I think realistically they are only worth in the mid 30k's as the upgrade to a S60 is $10k by itself. Once you add supercharging you are paying the price of S85 for a S60.

Agree with you. Better off finding a used 60.

So sad. So sad to see a couple of Model S sitting while ICE drive by them.

Yep, wonder what will happen to them. One is a Beautiful Blue color, a very sweet car. I'm assuming the dealers will eventually have to take them to auction to get rid of them and will probably lose their shirt.

Just found another S40 on Ebay in Palm Beach, FL. Appears to be a S40 collection in Florida for some reason. At least 3 so far...:rolleyes:

I sold my 40 to Carmax 2 months ago for $40k. I couldn't even get that on Autotrader or this site. They probably lost money on that deal since it went to auction. It's a tough car to sell private party because you have to qualify it in so many ways. No, it can't supercharge. Yes, it has a 60kWh battery but it will cost a fortune to unlock.

• Informative
Reactions: SmartElectric
Can you post or PM some links? Thanks.

Sure. The Ebay S40 in Palm Beach is item #122198032411, it is listed for highly unrealistic $48.990.

2013 Tesla Model S | eBay

The S40 at the Lexus dealer is down to $41k, they are desperate to get rid of it. It has high miles to boot, it is probably in reality only worth around $30k.

Check out this 2013 Tesla Model S on Autotrader

The S40 at the Mazda Dealer is down to $49.900, which is still crazy. It has very low miles however, so if someone got it in the mid to high 30's, could be worth it for someone.

Check out this 2013 Tesla Model S on Autotrader

Some are very low miles cars in very nice condition, but being an S40 is a deal breaker for most, and are realisticly only worth in the mid 30k's on their best day.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: MP3Mike
I sold my 40 to Carmax 2 months ago for $40k. I couldn't even get that on Autotrader or this site. They probably lost money on that deal since it went to auction. It's a tough car to sell private party because you have to qualify it in so many ways. No, it can't supercharge. Yes, it has a 60kWh battery but it will cost a fortune to unlock.

You were probably lucky, as most ICE dealers apparently don't know that there are different versions of the Model S, and probably assume the lowest Tesla out there is the S60, as the S40 is pretty rare (less than 1000 made I believe).

I personally checked out the one at the Mazda dealer, it was listed for $52k at the time. I figured, it had to have been upgraded to an S60 already for them listing it for $52k.

Ironically, when I went there and asked about it, I asked the sales guy what version it was, and he said "Model S".:D

When I asked which Model S, there are different versions, he looked at me funny and called the manager. The manager said it was a S60. I told them, that's strange, according to the Vin decoder, it is a S40. So he opened the car, and I pushed the T logo on the screen to pull it up, and sure enough, it was a S40.

I told them at the time it was worth nowhere close to $52k being an S40. They offered to make a deal on it, but I passed. Even getting it for $35k would have been a bad deal, because after unlocking it to a S60 and Supercharging, it would be getting close to $50k, and for that price you can find S85's in my area.

Back in '13 we learned that there were only 400 orders for the 40 when Tesla announced they were discontinuing the 40 and were going to provide a software limited 60 in its place. And over the next two-two and half years we learned that about 300 of those 40's had been traded in to Tesla for bigger/newer and Tesla flipped the switch to convert them to 60s and sold them as CPO's. Some of those 300 had also been upgraded by the owner to 60 and some added supercharging. By best guess until we hear from Tesla, there would be only about 100 of the original 400 40's still in the wild. Several of those 40's are here in Hawaii with their happy owners.

You were probably lucky, as most ICE dealers apparently don't know that there are different versions of the Model S, and probably assume the lowest Tesla out there is the S60, as the S40 is pretty rare (less than 1000 made I believe).

I personally checked out the one at the Mazda dealer, it was listed for $52k at the time. I figured, it had to have been upgraded to an S60 already for them listing it for $52k.

Ironically, when I went there and asked about it, I asked the sales guy what version it was, and he said "Model S".:D

When I asked which Model S, there are different versions, he looked at me funny and called the manager. The manager said it was a S60. I told them, that's strange, according to the Vin decoder, it is a S40. So he opened the car, and I pushed the T logo on the screen to pull it up, and sure enough, it was a S40.

I told them at the time it was worth nowhere close to $52k being an S40. They offered to make a deal on it, but I passed. Even getting it for $35k would have been a bad deal, because after unlocking it to a S60 and Supercharging, it would be getting close to $50k, and for that price you can find S85's in my area.

I don't see the listing up anymore and it's only been a day... do you know if they still have it? 35k is a steal if you root it and unlock the battery yourself. What was the dealership name if you don't mind me asking.

Not sure why the links show the cars no longer for sale.

It appears if you link to them from another site, AutoTrader shows them no longer for sale.

Not sure if it is a TMC issue or an Autotrader issue, but they are both still for sale.

Just search Tesla Model S nationwide and sort by price, they are easily found.

I don't see the listing up anymore and it's only been a day... do you know if they still have it? 35k is a steal if you root it and unlock the battery yourself. What was the dealership name if you don't mind me asking.

You may have misunderstood my post. The Mazda dealer (Ocean Mazda) offered to make a deal on it, but I never even checked where they wanted to go price wise. I seriously doubt they would have sold it for $35k, or even under $40k, but in reality, there are three S60's for sale in my area for around $45k, although they have higher miles. Even at $40k for me, by the time you unlock the capacity for another $10k, you are looking at S85's in my area.

I seriously doubt anyone can root it and unlock the battery capacity. There was a group of hackers that spent several months hacking a Model S, and they only got into some very basic systems like brakes and audio.

You are however free to call and try to make a deal. I know they really want to see it gone, who knows what offers they will take. They are still asking $49.900 for it. Their number is 1-888-726-1903.
getagentstatusimage.aspx

Back in '13 we learned that there were only 400 orders for the 40 when Tesla announced they were discontinuing the 40 and were going to provide a software limited 60 in its place. And over the next two-two and half years we learned that about 300 of those 40's had been traded in to Tesla for bigger/newer and Tesla flipped the switch to convert them to 60s and sold them as CPO's. Some of those 300 had also been upgraded by the owner to 60 and some added supercharging. By best guess until we hear from Tesla, there would be only about 100 of the original 400 40's still in the wild. Several of those 40's are here in Hawaii with their happy owners.

I don't doubt an S40 would work in Hawaii or Key West, FL or as a local commuter car. It would work locally in Miami/Ft. Lauderdale/Palm Beach or in a Metro area.

There are definitely at least 3 in my area, probably more for sale.

If someone got it cheap enough and paid to unlock it, might be worth it for the one with the very low miles. It is in a pretty nice condition.

For me personally, I drive to Orlando, Key West, Tampa, etc. I would have a hard time living with a S60, even my S85 is pushing it some days.

Last edited:
Sorry to resurrect an old post. Came across an S40 for sale, pondering on buying if I can get it cheap enough. Tesla dropped the price of upgrading the S60 to an S75 by $2k a while back, did the cost to upgrade the S40 to an S60 get dropped as well? What’s the final cost these days to upgrade it to a 60 with supercharging? I called Tesla sales but they couldn’t even give me a $ amount, they said I would have to talk to service, but they didn’t transfer me.

Sorry to resurrect an old post. Came across an S40 for sale, pondering on buying if I can get it cheap enough. Tesla dropped the price of upgrading the S60 to an S75 by $2k a while back, did the cost to upgrade the S40 to an S60 get dropped as well? What’s the final cost these days to upgrade it to a 60 with supercharging? I called Tesla sales but they couldn’t even give me a $ amount, they said I would have to talk to service, but they didn’t transfer me.
I want to say, yes, they did lower the price but you should get a verified price first.

There was someone from hawaii who posted a couple months ago that he upgraded 40 to 60. it was a few thousand dollars I believe, plus another 2500 to enable supercharging

• Helpful
Reactions: DurandalAI