Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model S - As a Police Car?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
While the Tesla above is an official police vehicle, it likely will never be a patrol vehicle used daily in the ordinary course of law enforcement. It might be one of those promotional vehicles that law enforcement has that they use for recruiting and community events. Sure, if there were some sort of emergency, the officer driving the Tesla to/from some event would join to assist, but I seriously doubt that he would be the first responder to a crime scene or be out writing speeding tickets.

I recall about 10-15 years ago that the CHP here in town had a specially-marked vehicle (it did not have the usual arced 'Highway Patrol' lettering over their star.) Rather it had their logo that you see at the scales and on their offices. I do not recall the make or model car, but I believe that it was an import. I was told that they took the car around to the junior colleges, high schools, county fairs and such for recruitment and community visibility and to draw attention from passersby.

I think it's very cool and a definite landmark that an electric vehicle has made its way into the police force. I think it attests to Tesla'a performance and quality that the state spent bought such an expensive car for their force.

However, I'm not sure this is the best look for Tesla's brand perception in the long run. Nobody wants to drive police cars and I think it slightly diminishes the perception around the luxury of the product. What does everybody think?

Some Qatari police forces use Lambos on their police forces, I don't see Lambo drivers fleeing the brand as a result.

Makes you wonder if tesla , or someone integrated radar, license plate detection and other gear into the MCU.

This sort of integration with the existing electronics is one reason a Model S (or more likely a Model X IMHO) can make a superior police car if Tesla throws some development effort at it - and I suspect potentially cheaper for the department than a more traditional patrol car once you factor in the cost to add all those things and the maintenance and fuel.

I really think you need the extra space of the X if you're going to have a perp-safe back seat, though - I suspect that when the initial rush for the X slows (or possibly after the 3 launch is sorted out,) Tesla will start exploring what it takes to revolutionize those cases, too - Police, livery, delivery services, etc.
Walter

While the Tesla above is an official police vehicle, it likely will never be a patrol vehicle used daily in the ordinary course of law enforcement. It might be one of those promotional vehicles that law enforcement has that they use for recruiting and community events. Sure, if there were some sort of emergency, the officer driving the Tesla to/from some event would join to assist, but I seriously doubt that he would be the first responder to a crime scene or be out writing speeding tickets.

"The police department was vague on what it would do with the cars, saying only: 'These vehicles will be used for testing and research by LAPD technical experts to determine how this technology can support their future needs.' Sounds like fun."

The LAPD has a Tesla now | The Verge

.../ Nobody wants to drive police cars and I think it slightly diminishes the perception around the luxury of the product. What does everybody think?
Why not?

&

Says who?

For more than a decade (too lazy to look up the actual number of years) the Volvo V70 (a Station wagon of course) has been the most common police car in Sweden. During all those years it’s also been the most sold car in Sweden. Other police cars in Sweden include the Saab 9-5 Station wagon, the Euro-spec. VW Passat Station wagon and the Merc E-class Station wagon – all cars that sell well in Sweden (sold very well in the case of the Saab…)

01-700x525.jpg

Volvo-V70.jpg

saab_polis_700.jpg

volkswagen-passat-polis-700.jpg

mercedes_polisbil_01.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

And why not include this image of some XC70 pro wrestling :rolleyes:

volvo_pro_wrestling.jpg

Mirror mirror on the wall
who is the fastest of them all (with one-foot rollout)
who is the fairest of them all
who is the slickest of them all
who is the smartest of them all (4g?)
who is the quietest of them all
who does not smell at all of them all
who is the coolest of them all
who is the zappiest of them all

TeslaPolice.jpg
Volvo-V70.jpg