Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model S - Auto turn around in driveway feature?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm currently waiting on my Model S, which is scheduled for delivery probably sometime in September. My driveway is exits onto a fairly busy road during rush hours, and it would be great if there was a feature that could have it open the garage door and turn itself around in the driveway. Does anyone know if there is a feature for something like this in the works? I did not purchase the FSD feature on this model, because it didn't seem to work very well on my last one except when on the highway. Any thoughts would be appreciated!

I dont even quite understand what you are saying. It sounds like you expect the car to be able to pull out of your driveway, onto the busy street (avoiding traffic), then pull back into your driveway facing the opposite direction?

If thats what you are asking, no, not likely now, not likely ever without FSD, and not likely ever with fsd either, since your average driveway doesnt have room to turn a car around in, and this is a super niche case that doesnt have much application. If FSD ever progresses to be good enough to do that on its own, it would also be able to drive you where you are going, and the car wont care which way its facing in the driveway when it starts its drive in that situation (which is likely a long long long long long way off)

I don't think it can specifically turn around. You could stand where the car backs up to get half way into a turn-around process. It would be really cool if Tesla implemented a "record" function for Summon -- where you could begin recording, back the car out, and perform the turn around, then stop the recording. You could then play this back, and Summon could perform the recorded process looking out for any issues like a car parked in the way, and repeating the process you recorded.

I dont even quite understand what you are saying. It sounds like you expect the car to be able to pull out of your driveway, onto the busy street (avoiding traffic), then pull back into your driveway facing the opposite direction?

If thats what you are asking, no, not likely now, not likely ever without FSD, and not likely ever with fsd either, since your average driveway doesnt have room to turn a car around in, and this is a super niche case that doesnt have much application. If FSD ever progresses to be good enough to do that on its own, it would also be able to drive you where you are going, and the car wont care which way its facing in the driveway when it starts its drive in that situation (which is likely a long long long long long way off)
No, sorry for being unclear. It's a normal two car driveway with the ability to turn around via about a 3-point turn. it would be nice to be able to have the car do that in the driveway, which would mean that I could pull out on the the busy street driving forward rather than either i) backing out into the street or ii) making the 3-point turn manually in the driveway. It's not like super annoying or anything, but it would be pretty cool to walk out and have it waiting for you.

I don't think it can specifically turn around. You could stand where the car backs up to get half way into a turn-around process. It would be really cool if Tesla implemented a "record" function for Summon -- where you could begin recording, back the car out, and perform the turn around, then stop the recording. You could then play this back, and Summon could perform the recorded process looking out for any issues like a car parked in the way, and repeating the process you recorded.
Yeah, a record function would be awesome and would do exactly what I'm talking about. Open the garage door, make the u-turn, turn on the AC / radio / whatever. Get on it, Elon!

No, sorry for being unclear. It's a normal two car driveway with the ability to turn around via about a 3-point turn. it would be nice to be able to have the car do that in the driveway, which would mean that I could pull out on the the busy street driving forward rather than either i) backing out into the street or ii) making the 3-point turn manually in the driveway. It's not like super annoying or anything, but it would be pretty cool to walk out and have it waiting for you.

Shrug... I have what I consider to be a "normal 2 car driveway" and I certainly could not turn the car around with "a normal 3 point tern" without exiting the driveway onto the street at all. My driveway is 2 cars wide (2 cars fit next to each other when in my driveway) without them crossing the driveway entrance to the street, yet what you are saying would require a lot more than a 3 point turn to turn the car around without existing to the street, or rolling onto my grass.

Perhaps you can share a video of someone online turning the car around without exiting the driveway onto the street, on a regular 2 car driveway with a 3 point (not 9 point or something) turn. I am curious to see what that would look like. Maybe my 2 car driveway is not standard or something, even though I live in a tract home that was built in 2006.

I'll send a video when I get back to town. We actually just installed a parking space / turn around area so, you should be able to do in a one point movement, but it'll make more sense with a video or a couple pics. I think what DerbyDave said would work the best, which is kinda like recording a macro in Excel but doesn't sound like that's in the works. Thank you both for the feedback.

Really looking forward to getting back into an electric. My other car is a 2008 Chevy Silverado, and after you drive a P100D Model S for a few years, it's hard to get back in a gas truck! I had a Rivian on order for about 18 months, and then they jacked all the prices on the reservation holders by about 20%,... Got pissed, cancelled it, and hopped back in the boat with Elon.

I'll send a video when I get back to town. We actually just installed a parking space / turn around area so, you should be able to do in a one point movement, but it'll make more sense with a video or a couple pics. I think what DerbyDave said would work the best, which is kinda like recording a macro in Excel but doesn't sound like that's in the works. Thank you both for the feedback.

Really looking forward to getting back into an electric. My other car is a 2008 Chevy Silverado, and after you drive a P100D Model S for a few years, it's hard to get back in a gas truck! I had a Rivian on order for about 18 months, and then they jacked all the prices on the reservation holders by about 20%,... Got pissed, cancelled it, and hopped back in the boat with Elon.

If I remember, BMW either was working on, or has a sort of "recording" feature for parking. The use case was something like pulling in forward to a twisty driveway and entrance to a garage (and recording it via a feature in the car), so that when it was time to reverse out of the space, the car could reverse out in the exact reverse manner of when it pulled in.

That still wouldnt accomplish what you are talking about, though. I dont think anything like that (or what you are asking about) is in the works, but I dont have any inside knowledge of teslas "upcoming features".

I just dont think its something they would address, for the reason I said before. If the car could do this good enough to do it without you behind the wheel, it would also be doing it good enough to drive you to work without intervention, negating the need to turn around like that. I dont see a point where the car is good enough to navigate something you are talking about, but not able to be basically unattended driving, of which it certainly is no where near to, right now.

Tweet at Elon and see what he says. I'd venture to guess it wouldn't be incredibly difficult to implement, especially in conjunction with the existing summon capabilities.

It is just a sequence of two "summons" command to navigate to a point. One point is to back up to a point in the "turn area", and the other to pull forward to the forward stopping position. All the summons rules for these 2 sequences to be executed remain as if you were executing them separately as the car can do today.

If I remember, BMW either was working on, or has a sort of "recording" feature for parking. The use case was something like pulling in forward to a twisty driveway and entrance to a garage (and recording it via a feature in the car), so that when it was time to reverse out of the space, the car could reverse out in the exact reverse manner of when it pulled in.

That still wouldnt accomplish what you are talking about, though. I dont think anything like that (or what you are asking about) is in the works, but I dont have any inside knowledge of teslas "upcoming features".

I just dont think its something they would address, for the reason I said before. If the car could do this good enough to do it without you behind the wheel, it would also be doing it good enough to drive you to work without intervention, negating the need to turn around like that. I dont see a point where the car is good enough to navigate something you are talking about, but not able to be basically unattended driving, of which it certainly is no where near to, right now.

I think this is what you're talking about. I too wish this would be one of those OTA new features given to our cars as well:

Reactions: jjrandorin