TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Tesla Model S autopilot saves the day once again !

Discussion in 'Model S' started by vortexz, Apr 11, 2016.

1. vortexz

vortexz Member

Good reflexes on the Tesla Model S Autopilot, I didn't knew it can even get out the road marks a little bit to avoid a collision:

There are so many situations I have seen where the MS autopilot simply saves a crash!
    Amazing

• Like x 3
    • Love x 1
  2. Lawtq

Lawtq Member

That is one idiot

3. Todd Burch

Todd Burch Electron Pilot

Can you clarify whether you intervened and touched the wheel, or did Autopilot do this all on its own?

4. CHG-ON

CHG-ON Still in love after all these miles

It is amazing. Mine moved around a large floating piece of packing material that flew out of a truck bed all on it's own while in AP. I was just about to grab the wheel and it beat me to it. It was in front of me and the car moved half way into the right adjacent lane, which was empty and did it with no drama at all. I was stunned.

5. Eugene Ash

Eugene Ash Member

Wow, this is seriously awesome. As a sleep-deprived father in over-caffeinated Seattle, i can't wait till my S arrives. Thank you for showing what Autopilot is capable of.
    BTW, what is your camera set-up? I'll need to get one....

6. vortexz

vortexz Member

This is not my video folks, I just found it on the internet and wanted to share it with you

7. Nevek

Nevek Overt Member

That is a serious benefit. It is odd that this sort of capability isn't highlighted, but it's great to know there is a safety net that's larger than we were given to expect.
    Thanks for passing this along.

8. Todd Burch

Since this is a second-hand video, we basically have no clue if autopilot avoided the accident or if the driver intervened.

So the OP is making a bit of an assumption here.

9. sorka

sorka Active Member

I wouldn't have believed that AP could do that but I recently had two similar experiences. In one case I was driving in the left lane on a 3 lane freeway. A motorcycle approach from the rear in the middle lane but he was really far to the left of his lane. AP moved over to the far left of my left lane just as the motorcycle passed and then recentered after it went by. It happened again like above when a car passed me on the left and then got in front of me. But it was nowhere near as close a call as this video shows.

10. Todd Burch

Would love to hear more firsthand accounts of this. I'm also curious what would happen in the case of a blown tire on autosteer...

11. jlucero

jlucero Member

what an a-hole (the white truck driver)

12. gaswalla

gaswalla P4201/85/airsusp/pano/19i

Autopilot 2.0 will then pass the offending vehicle and give the middle finger salute

13. Todd Burch

No need to bring race into this. (I kid, I kid.)