Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vendor Tesla Model S Battery Extended Service Plans from 057 Technology

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We've been handling repairs/replacements with or without the BMD at the moment. I've been waiting for legal review/signoff of some official ToS changes to reflect this before posting a full update, but there's been a lot of back and forth since the original ToS was vetted based entirely on requiring the BMD's initial approval for activating the plans... so this ToS update is becoming complicated. In the meantime, we're just doing service as needed for our customers regardless, since that's the right thing to do.

We did eventually get some from our original second production batch ready to go and out the door, but have been holding off on shipments until our revised design gets a few kinks worked out. The kinks are all software and plastic casing related, so PCB side should be good for now.

Hello,

Just to clarify - customers that purchase the HV extended warranty plan are covered before the BMD arrives?

In my example, I purchased the plan on 9/2. I've taken a few pictures of the MCU showing that it charges to 80% without any errors.

Any updates on the BMDs?
We've been slowly phasing in the latest version to make sure we've got all of the kinks out. Since this device sits directly on the powertrain CAN lines, we want to be 1000% sure that there's no failure modes that can cause issues. Our original design was tested for years, and then we were forced to make changes due to supply chain issues. That necessitated some rapid but comprehensive revalidation. So far so good though.

And, again, we're still covering failures even without the BMD, provided the vehicle's logs confirm that no issues existed prior to signup.

Reactions: xAgyex
@wk057 I looked though the FAQ and didn't see the answer to this. How does the module report back to the mother ship? LTE or maybe BLE though an app? Happy to put a data-only SIM card in there that's on my mobile plan, if needed.

Not sure how I missed this.

We ship them with an LTE modem that uses the T-Mobile network, currently, and is included in the cost of the plan. They also have Bluetooth and Wifi.

How’s the BMD supply situation, Jason? Signed up for the warranty. Sorry for spamming in PM as well as here, but figured you might see this before wading through your inbox. Thanks!

We've gotten a lot out, but are working on yet another revision to correct some minor issues. We're actually going to be updating everyone to this version once we have enough produced. We're a little behind for sure, but hoping to have surplus inventory of these soon. The way our batches have landed and our prioritization of shipping to vehicles most at-risk has actually gotten some customers in a huge wait rut. Thanks for bearing with us.

Not sure how I missed this.

We ship them with an LTE modem that uses the T-Mobile network, currently, and is included in the cost of the plan. They also have Bluetooth and Wifi.

We've gotten a lot out, but are working on yet another revision to correct some minor issues. We're actually going to be updating everyone to this version once we have enough produced. We're a little behind for sure, but hoping to have surplus inventory of these soon. The way our batches have landed and our prioritization of shipping to vehicles most at-risk has actually gotten some customers in a huge wait rut. Thanks for bearing with us.
Hmmm. So, it’s good news I’m in a wait rut - lower risk category?😉

Hmmm. So, it’s good news I’m in a wait rut - lower risk category?😉
If you signed up more than a couple months ago and haven't gotten a BMD, then your car didn't make the cut when we had batches completed and sorted our to-ship list from highest to lowest risk of short term issues. What's been happening to a handful of customers is that we'll get a batch in, ship based on short term risk, time will pass, more people will sign up, we'll do another batch, and some people end up not making that cut multiple times. Which is actually good for them on multiple fronts. Most obvious being that they're probably not at risk of a short term issue. 😜 Additionally, since we're still, as as goodwill effort, covering failures under the service plan program for folks who haven't received the BMD after the quoted time period, they're basically building up free covered time since the plan technically isn't activated yet. Our production delays end up as a win for them.

If you signed up more than a couple months ago and haven't gotten a BMD, then your car didn't make the cut when we had batches completed and sorted our to-ship list from highest to lowest risk of short term issues. What's been happening to a handful of customers is that we'll get a batch in, ship based on short term risk, time will pass, more people will sign up, we'll do another batch, and some people end up not making that cut multiple times. Which is actually good for them on multiple fronts. Most obvious being that they're probably not at risk of a short term issue. 😜 Additionally, since we're still, as as goodwill effort, covering failures under the service plan program for folks who haven't received the BMD after the quoted time period, they're basically building up free covered time since the plan technically isn't activated yet. Our production delays end up as a win for them.
Oh, that’s very interesting. I signed up 11 months ago and I have felt that I was sort of covered: covered if you didn’t find any faults prior to my signing up but not knowing if there were any faults. I think what you just said, above, is that my 2 years of coverage hasn’t started yet. Am I understanding this correctly?

Oh, that’s very interesting. I signed up 11 months ago and I have felt that I was sort of covered: covered if you didn’t find any faults prior to my signing up but not knowing if there were any faults. I think what you just said, above, is that my 2 years of coverage hasn’t started yet. Am I understanding this correctly?
The way we've been handling it for the handful of people in your situation who are wayyyyy behind on getting a BMD (super sorry :(): Technically, no coverage hasn't officially begun. HOWEVER, we're not evil. If you have an issue, we'll help get the car here, and we'll use the Tesla proprietary logs (which generally go back several years and ~100k+ miles) to confirm BMS health, mileage, etc around signup time. Assuming all is well, or close enough, what we'll do is activate your plan as if you had received the BMD at the end of the estimated ship window (~60 days), perform service, and get you on your way. If for whatever reason pack health wasn't great at signup time based on the Tesla log.... we've been ignoring this so far, since it's not your fault you've been waiting for so long.

If nothing goes wrong before receiving the BMD, then you activate at that time and your 2 years officially starts from that point. So because of how we're handling it, you effectively, but unofficially, get free coverage in the meantime. Only fair, IMO.

The way we've been handling it for the handful of people in your situation who are wayyyyy behind on getting a BMD (super sorry :(): Technically, no coverage hasn't officially begun. HOWEVER, we're not evil. If you have an issue, we'll help get the car here, and we'll use the Tesla proprietary logs (which generally go back several years and ~100k+ miles) to confirm BMS health, mileage, etc around signup time. Assuming all is well, or close enough, what we'll do is activate your plan as if you had received the BMD at the end of the estimated ship window (~60 days), perform service, and get you on your way. If for whatever reason pack health wasn't great at signup time based on the Tesla log.... we've been ignoring this so far, since it's not your fault you've been waiting for so long.

If nothing goes wrong before receiving the BMD, then you activate at that time and your 2 years officially starts from that point. So because of how we're handling it, you effectively, but unofficially, get free coverage in the meantime. Only fair, IMO.
I agree. Thank you.

Thank you for explaining this as I too signed up a while ago and have no BMD to speak of. So it is good to know that the 2 year service start time is dependent on when we activate our BMDs.

Anything new to report? It's cool that I've already gotten an extra year, but it would be nice to see what kind of data your module sees vs a regular ELM327 module on the CAN bus.