Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vendor Tesla Model S Battery Extended Service Plans from 057 Technology

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@wk057 What about a monitoring / checkup service? i.e. I don't necessarily want to buy a warranty but I'd be willing to pay for a BMD checkup especially if it gives me any insight into a likely failure in the next 14 months of my remaining OEM warranty and whether that could give me any leverage right before the warranty expires.
I think on twitter he said they are working on a monitoring only plan

Edit:

@wk057 What about a monitoring / checkup service? i.e. I don't necessarily want to buy a warranty but I'd be willing to pay for a BMD checkup especially if it gives me any insight into a likely failure in the next 14 months of my remaining OEM warranty and whether that could give me any leverage right before the warranty expires.
I think on twitter he said they are working on a monitoring only plan

At the moment, we're planning to do a non-service BMD monitoring plan, but for customers outside the USA who can't make practical use of our service plan.

We've discussed offering this to the USA folks as well, but we probably won't since that would just be undercutting our own offerings by diminishing the value of the service plan itself for in-warranty folks. The incentives to purchase the service plan while still under Tesla's OEM warranty are the BMD's early alerts and monitoring, along with mild discounts. Take away the former while still offering plans to folks who are out of warranty and it's lost a lot.

On a personal note, I don't ever want to sell anything that I myself would never consider purchasing... like, you'll never catch me pedaling expensive wallets, VPNs, or shaving clubs... and I probably wouldn't buy the service plan myself, at least until my warranty expired, if there were a cheaper way to get the BMD. As it stands, I think what we're offering is an awesome value, and if I didn't own the company I'd get plans for my own vehicles. :)

In any case, the plans are refundable until active, and they're not actually active until after the OEM warranty is up. In the meantime you still get to benefit from the BMD. Hopefully folks don't take advantage of that and purchase, get the BMD, and decide to cancel last minute or something. I have sufficient faith in folks to believe that won't happen often enough to worry about I suppose.

Also, the BMD is a leased item property of 057 Tech. We're not planning on actually selling them currently.

At the moment, we're planning to do a non-service BMD monitoring plan, but for customers outside the USA who can't make practical use of our service plan.

We've discussed offering this to the USA folks as well, but we probably won't since that would just be undercutting our own offerings by diminishing the value of the service plan itself for in-warranty folks. The incentives to purchase the service plan while still under Tesla's OEM warranty are the BMD's early alerts and monitoring, along with mild discounts. Take away the former while still offering plans to folks who are out of warranty and it's lost a lot.

On a personal note, I don't ever want to sell anything that I myself would never consider purchasing... like, you'll never catch me pedaling expensive wallets, VPNs, or shaving clubs... and I probably wouldn't buy the service plan myself, at least until my warranty expired, if there were a cheaper way to get the BMD. As it stands, I think what we're offering is an awesome value, and if I didn't own the company I'd get plans for my own vehicles. :)

In any case, the plans are refundable until active, and they're not actually active until after the OEM warranty is up. In the meantime you still get to benefit from the BMD. Hopefully folks don't take advantage of that and purchase, get the BMD, and decide to cancel last minute or something. I have sufficient faith in folks to believe that won't happen often enough to worry about I suppose.

Also, the BMD is a leased item property of 057 Tech. We're not planning on actually selling them currently.
This faith is what grows a lot of businesses. Unfortunately a few bad apples might ruin it for everyone else.
Good luck on your ventures. I will be getting something when the time is right. Haven't had my M3 for a year yet.

Reactions: wk057
The BMD doesn't do anything that would void the manufacturer warranty except in a particular edge case:

There's a certain type of failure mode where we are able to engage an emergency limp home mode upon request from the owner. Activating this would technically void the OEM warranty, as it has to modify the BMS to make it happen. We have no issues for out of warranty folks doing this while covered, but we won't actually even allow this to happen without first verbally speaking to the owner in the case of a car still in warranty with Tesla and explaining the potential ramifications. I don't think Tesla would even notice, honestly, since like the case with your S4 ECU, we put things back how they were after... but, it is a potential edge case for voiding the OEM warranty.

The BMD does actively send commands to the battery and other modules to retrieve data that is not generally available on the CAN bus, however this is not (currently) logged anywhere by Tesla nor is it any kind of modification that would be warranty voiding. So while I suppose Tesla could, if so inclined, devise a way to detect the BMD... I don't see why they would bother, since they can't legally void the warranty based on its presence. (Disclaimer: IANAL, but this seems pretty cut and dry).
Cool, thanks for clarifying!

i am exciting by this offering. As I consider it, I have a couple of questions:

Do you install drive unit/controllers you sell?

While investigating how much shipping would cost, I wondered how one loads the car with a dead battery onto the transport vehicle? Are There specific transporters you recommend?

Thanks.

Reactions: dmurphy
i am exciting by this offering. As I consider it, I have a couple of questions:

Do you install drive unit/controllers you sell?

While investigating how much shipping would cost, I wondered how one loads the car with a dead battery onto the transport vehicle? Are There specific transporters you recommend?

Thanks.
Our drive unit packages with our controllers are made for use with EV conversions and other non-Tesla applications. We can do drive unit replacements on most Tesla vehicles, however, but that's unrelated to our drive unit packages for EV conversions.

For vehicle freight costs, it really depends. If the vehicle is inoperable we still have quite a few options for transport. Generally will need to use a carrier that can winch it on to a hauler. On our end, we can use a CAT 938 wheel loader with 16' forks to unload inoperable vehicles if they can't be easily unloaded in other ways. This only becomes an added cost once we're looking at more than about 1500 miles of transit, since getting an inoperable vehicle loaded on to a large hauler for cross-country transport adds an extra step, but it's never really a problem with rollable vehicles with all of their wheels.

We ship cars all the time, almost every day at times, so no issues with setting up transport.

In your particular case, or anyone else anywhere east of the Mississippi, transport is pretty easy for us as we work with quite a few haulers regularly. For Maryland I might even just send one of my own guys.

At some point I'll make a shipping cost estimate map.

Additionally, our battery monitoring device can unlock an ultra low power limp mode in many failure cases, which would be enough for a vehicle shipper to drive it on to a hauler. It can't always do this, as some failures are pretty hard failures, but if it's possible we make it happen.

Last edited:
Hi @wk057
I'm very interested. Just had a few questions -
  1. If a battery is replaced (or upgraded if available), will the car still have Supercharging? If it was previously capped, will a better battery remove the restriction?
  2. Do you plan to have any renewal discounts? You'd have continuous data about the pack for 2+ years, so it should make it easier for you to anticipate degradation right? So a renewal discount for existing customers will be very beneficial for all.
  3. The monitoring device - is it connected to the OBD port or the port below the MCU?
    • If OBD: Will removing it temporarily in certain cases: e.g. users who use add-ons like the HDMI input box that uses OBD during supercharging / yearly inspections etc. cause any issues? i.e. will it reset the monitoring and we'll have to drive 50-100mi again?
    • If MCU: Do users have to take out panels to reach under the MCU to connect it?
  4. If we are local / near to your Hickory location, can we drive by to collect the device instead of waiting for it to be shipped? Will your team be able to help us with connecting it (if underside the MCU)?
  5. Edge case - I'm assuming it is negligible, but any idea how much power it uses? Any visible reduction in miles / estimated range due to this? I've done some long road trips where I've been very close to empty by the time I reach a supercharger. So would like to know if anything affects the estimated range in any meaningful manner. Do I need to even worry about it?
  6. What do you anticipate the estimated turn-around time be like in case of failures considering the interest you've seen in the service? Again, would it help if someone is local and can limp the car to your shop haha ;-)
Planning on getting this in any case (as long as supercharging still works if repaired).
Thanks for starting this service!

Our drive unit packages with our controllers are made for use with EV conversions and other non-Tesla applications. We can do drive unit replacements on most Tesla vehicles, however, but that's unrelated.

For vehicle freight costs, it really depends. If the vehicle is inoperable we still have quite a few options for transport. Generally will need to use a carrier that can winch it on to a hauler. On our end, we can use a CAT 938 wheel loader with 16' forks to unload inoperable vehicles if they can't be easily unloaded in other ways. This only becomes an added cost once we're looking at more than about 1500 miles of transit, since getting an inoperable vehicle loaded on to a large hauler for cross-country transport adds an extra step, but it's never really a problem with rollable vehicles with all of their wheels.

We ship cars all the time, almost every day at times, so no issues with setting up transport.

In your particular case, or anyone else anywhere east of the Mississippi, transport is pretty easy for us as we work with quite a few haulers regularly. For Maryland I might even just send one of my own guys.

At some point I'll make a shipping cost estimate map.

Additionally, our battery monitoring device can unlock an ultra low power limp mode in many failure cases, which would be enough for a vehicle shipper to drive it on to a hauler. It can't always do this, as some failures are pretty hard failures, but if it's possible we make it happen.
I asked about drive unit install because I wanted to know if I had repair options for both of the high cost failures. I have a 2014 S85.

I thought a winch could be used but I wondered about other options and you answered my question. Thanks!

If a battery is replaced (or upgraded if available), will the car still have Supercharging? If it was previously capped, will a better battery remove the restriction?
Supercharging isn't affected by our replacements. We've done many many upgrades and replacements already for customers over the years without issues. In full disclosure, we can't predict what Tesla themselves will do in the future (for example, they already remotely reach into salvage vehicles and disable all DC charging without the owner's permission), but in the case of clean title vehicles I don't foresee any issues.

As for speeds, we can be sure they won't be any worse than before, but we can't change any firmware restrictions Tesla places on the BMS firmware without potentially incurring their wrath down the road. It is possible you'll end up with a better or higher capacity pack during a replacement, just with any such repair, but we can't guarantee that of course.

Do you plan to have any renewal discounts? You'd have continuous data about the pack for 2+ years, so it should make it easier for you to anticipate degradation right? So a renewal discount for existing customers will be very beneficial for all.

Possibly. Keep in mind that the youngest pack will be 10 years old by the time it's up for renewal. It's more likely that the added risk of continued coverage will negate any discount we could offer for already having the BMD... but, we won't really have enough data to make such a determination.

At some point we'll probably have to draw some lines as to what renewals will even be permitted, but as of now, our plan is for renewals to be whatever the current "out of warranty" price is for your model/year/etc at the time, with a small discount for already having the BMD.

The monitoring device - is it connected to the OBD port or the port below the MCU?
  • If OBD: Will removing it temporarily in certain cases: e.g. users who use add-ons like the HDMI input box that uses OBD during supercharging / yearly inspections etc. cause any issues? i.e. will it reset the monitoring and we'll have to drive 50-100mi again?
  • If MCU: Do users have to take out panels to reach under the MCU to connect it?

It connects to the Tesla-specific CAN diagnostic port below the MCU.

Any time the device is disconnected, service plan coverage is suspended until it's re-installed and everything is re-confirmed. This is to keep everyone honest, mainly, and is pretty much a non-negotiable part of this service. If you plan on using other devices that require the CAN diagnostic port, we'd suggest using some kind of splitter. (We've considered selling one.)

I don't think an HDMI input box would need the CAN diagnostic port...? That seems weird to me.

Most users will only have to pull down the MCU cubby to install the unit, which is extremely low effort. Users with retrofitted center consoles and such may have a harder time, but it's still not a terrible process.

If we are local / near to your Hickory location, can we drive by to collect the device instead of waiting for it to be shipped? Will your team be able to help us with connecting it (if underside the MCU)?

We can definitely install the unit for you if you come by, sure!

While it may seem dumb, we'd still prefer to ship it first for tracking and accountability purposes, however, and to keep everything streamlined.

Edge case - I'm assuming it is negligible, but any idea how much power it uses? Any visible reduction in miles / estimated range due to this? I've done some long road trips where I've been very close to empty by the time I reach a supercharger. So would like to know if anything affects the estimated range in any meaningful manner. Do I need to even worry about it?

Our beta variant uses an obscene amount of power for such a tiny device... and still wasn't even noticeable on range loss. The production version uses roughly 25 Wh/day absolute max (generally less), which would be something like 0.1 miles of range per day. We're actively tweaking the firmware, so, will likely be even less over time.

Either way, it's pretty negligible.

What do you anticipate the estimated turn-around time be like in case of failures considering the interest you've seen in the service? Again, would it help if someone is local and can limp the car to your shop haha ;-)

Turnaround is going to vary depending on our workload at the time of the failure, and the exact nature of the issue. Our turnaround time for repairs/replacements/upgrades varies from a week to about 8 weeks worst case right now, and we're actively working to improve that. We don't anticipate times to get any worse regardless of interest in our service plan program, since we're already improving this all around and the program is helping us to do so even more.

If you're local, we've got no issue with you getting the car to us yourself. Depending on the failure, though, you might not be able to limp all the way here on public roads. That said, if you're local and the BMD predicts a failure, you should probably get the car to us as soon as possible while it's still fully functional so that we can investigate.

Hope this helps!

I don't think an HDMI input box would need the CAN diagnostic port...? That seems weird to me.
Thank you very much for all the detailed answers. Very helpful and much appreciated!

As for your comment quoted here, no the HDMI box does not use the CAN port. It only uses the OBD port for power (which is why I asked if your device also uses it. That's not the case so there should be no issue hopefully).

One last question - any thoughts on providing raw BMS data from our own batteries via API directly from the device or through your servers so that we can also track it?

Thanks again!

One last question - any thoughts on providing raw BMS data from our own batteries via API directly from the device or through your servers so that we can also track it?

Deciphered battery information will be on our service plan management page, along with historical data. "Raw" data perhaps not, since there's some things that we use in our communication with the pack that are... well, let's go with "trade secrets".

Is there a video showing how to access where to plug it in? I'm not sure if I have a modified center console in my 2014 or not.

Not as of yet, although will probably post one eventually. The box documentation has some photos. Overall, it's pretty easy. Just pull down the cubby and it's right there. If there's a console you might have to remove one other piece.

candiag.jpg

How does data get from the BMD to you? Does it have its own cellular connection? Or does it connect to the vehicle owner‘s phone via Bluetooth and use the phone’s cellular connection? Or?
We have two production versions, an LTE and Bluetooth. The latter requires an app to uplink, of course. We'll make a determination as to which is shipped based on availability and location.

Some pricing tweaks happening this weekend.
Clarifying this:

Pricing for in-warranty folks will be more granular and increase every tick closer to expiration you get. Basically if you're in the "I'll wait until I get closer to X cutoff before signing up" we're killing that loophole entirely. You should signup now because it'll be more expensive than it would be otherwise (unless you're already in the 90-days-left window, then doesn't matter). Honestly, I didn't expect this to be needed, but when we've got dozens of people outright noting that they're just going to wait X months (and who knows how many more not telling us)... well, obviously our pricing structure is wrong.

Also, our promo for out-of-warranty folks is getting an automated per-minute decline towards a zero discount. Too many people asking when this is going away and basing decisions on their guesses on this.

Bottom line is we can't disincentivize the purchase of our services over minor pricing stuff.

I also want to share a reply I recently wrote to someone in California (might even be someone from here, not sure) who was concerned about shipping costs. Hopefully this helps someone else out that way understand the value here:

Hey [...],

Unfortunately there's no scenario where we can cover vehicle freight to/from California for this service without simply bumping the cost to cover this... which makes no sense for us or the customers.

We ship cars to/from California all the time. We have pretty good rates with the carrier networks we use. As noted, we can help arrange this. The quotes you as an individual would get for moving a car (1 car) are WAY different than what we get (dozens per month). Keep in mind that if your car needs to get here, it's most likely not going to be the only car we're pulling in from California around that time (we buy cars from all over the world, and California is the most dense Tesla area anywhere nearby). So our cost (which we can pass on for you at the time) is always going to be way lower than anything you can get searching online for vehicle shipping.

I'm not going to try and convince you to buy something you don't think will work for you. I'm a horrible salesman. If you don't think it's worthwhile, then there you go. The most I can do is present things how I see them, and in this case I firmly believe it is objectively a great value for anyone anywhere in the continental US. So I'd argue that you're probably misinterpreting or misunderstanding the costs involved if you don't see that. (We're actually adding more detail to this on the website soon, because this seems to be common.)

Your current options are:

• Pay nothing now, if your pack fails out of warranty, then you tow it to Tesla, pay Tesla between $14k (usually-unavailable refurbished pack + labor) and $25k ("new" 14-module 85) to replace it, and they keep your old pack. (Total cost ~$14k - $25k plus negligible towing costs of a few hundred or so).
  • Pay nothing now, if your pack fails out of warranty, then you can ship your car to us (~$1500 from California), we can assess the failure, replace your pack, and recover as much value for you from your original pack as possible to offset the cost. Net cost of parts and labor anywhere from about $5k to $18k, depending on the exact failure... typically in the $7-8k area for many "normal" failures. Ship your car back (~$1500). (Total cost anywhere from about $8k to $21k)
  • Purchase our service plan now ($1999 for a 2013 until our promo pricing changes), if your pack fails out of warranty, then you can ship your car to us (~$1500 from California), we do whatever repairs/replacements are needed, Ship your car back (~$1500). (Total cost: ~$4,999)
So, $14-25k, $8-21k, or ~$5k. Just numbers.

So, even if we doubling potential shipping costs to a whopping $3,000 each way, you'd still be $6,000 cheaper (43% less) than the best possible price from Tesla! And for $3,000 each way I could probably send one of my own guys all the way to California with a single car trailer to pick it up and drive back... and still make money... it's an absurd example price. haha.

This is why the plan makes sense, even when factoring in vehicle shipping. And this is even ignoring the value added benefits of the battery monitoring device with its early detection features and such.

Hope this helps