Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vendor Tesla Model S Battery Extended Service Plans from 057 Technology

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Waiting on those pricing adjustments like… /s
1644175071577.jpeg

• Funny
Reactions: ran349 and wk057
Max cont. cell current: 233/74=3.15 A (from your webpage)
S 60: 3.6V*3.15A*5376 cells = 61 kW max continuously (don't know what voltage to use, ~300 V batt. volts?)
S 85: 3.6*3.15*7104 = 80 kW max continuously

Is that about right?
The max stats on our battery module page are what's possible at max usage, not what's best for the cells.

I've actually had a couple different 60 packs in my own daily driver car temporarily over the past couple of years trying to see how actual usage compares with an 85 pack or better.

The short answer is that it's a lot more complicated than meets the eye. Overall, the current per cell just has to stay higher for longer for normal driving. It's not the peaks that really matter. Both acceleration and regen result in higher currents for longer periods of time, and the amount of impact current has at the cell level is exponential.

You're looking at it a bit backwards. What matters is how much power the car needs to operate, which is independent of the pack. If it takes X kW to accelerate, cruise, etc, then with an 85 pack that will be (X / (Voltage) / 74) amps per cell. With a 60 pack, that's (X / (Voltage) / 62) amps per cell. The total voltage for the 60 is already ~15% less than the 85, also. So in reality it ends up being something like > 30% more load per cell for the same amount of power delivery.

As you get closer to the lower side of SoC with a 60 pack, the current required for the same power is significantly higher, and the losses are exponential as current increases. At say, 40% charge that normal acceleration up a highway on-ramp is going to be way more taxing on a 60 pack than an 85 pack at the same SoC, dragging the cells all the way to their minimum permitted voltage while under load until reaching cruise speed. This just doesn't happen in the larger packs except during things like full launches... which are less common than just stop and go traffic.

So much working against the 60 packs, I'm surprised Tesla built them as long as they did.

Waiting on those pricing adjustments like… /s

Yeah, that one's on me. Ran into a few minor glitches getting it implemented in the original time allotted. Instead of breaking things, made sense to just keep the existing prices until it's finished right.

wk057

Thanks!
(I think it's 64 instead of 62, but that's probably not the end of the world)
There's actually two variants, depending on the cells used, to get 60 kWh packs... the most common one was 64 (-10 cells per group) but there are 62 cell units I've encountered (-12 cells per group). But, the premise is still the same.

I’m curious about the possibility of a battery upgrade during a warranty replacement. My OEM warranty is up at the beginning of next year, and I have experienced the typical anxiety about the possibility of a high-cost failure afterwards. But I have also simultaneously been fantasizing for years about upgrading my P85D battery with @wk057 anyway, to access the full Ludicrous potential of my car and more importantly improve range.

Let’s say I have a pack failure during my 057 warranty period - could I pay the difference between what you would ordinarily replace it with, and a 90 or 100 kWh Ludicrous-capable pack?

I’m curious about the possibility of a battery upgrade during a warranty replacement. My OEM warranty is up at the beginning of next year, and I have experienced the typical anxiety about the possibility of a high-cost failure afterwards. But I have also simultaneously been fantasizing for years about upgrading my P85D battery with @wk057 anyway, to access the full Ludicrous potential of my car and more importantly improve range.

Let’s say I have a pack failure during my 057 warranty period - could I pay the difference between what you would ordinarily replace it with, and a 90 or 100 kWh Ludicrous-capable pack?
Hopefully our service plan will help squelch some of that failure anxiety, especially since you're nearby! ;)

We do battery upgrades all the time nowadays (at least a couple per month if not more). Generally, we need to assess the condition of your current pack before we can quote pricing on any upgrades. This way we can get the most value back as possible for your existing pack. The 100 packs are still relatively expensive due to their artificial scarcity on the secondhand market (Tesla buys these vehicles back, it seems, whenever possible), but going from a P85D to P85DL or P90DL would be in the mid 4-figures usually.

Edit: I'll note for completeness that the P85D requires a few other minor modifications to make it Ludicrous capable, but they're generally not a huge deal and we've done this quite a few times now.

Our service plan terms even have notes about upgrades also (applies to folks with the service plan and battery monitoring device):
Upgrades Without a Failure

While covered by the Service Plan, or while the Service Plan is not yet active due to an existing OEM High Voltage Battery Warranty you may be able to get a discount from 057 Technology on an opt-in customer-pay High Voltage Battery Upgrade, provided the Battery Monitoring Device is installed and operational and your current battery pack is in good condition. The term of this Service Plan can continue with the upgraded battery pack. Contact us for more information.

Upgrades After a Failure

If your vehicle requires a replacement High Voltage Battery Pack as part of a covered service under this Service Plan, you may be eligible for a discount on a customer-pay High Voltage Battery Upgrade. Contact us for more information at that time.

Hope this helps!

It should be noted that with car prices going up so quickly, it can make financial sense repairing older cars (ignoring other factors) whereas previously it may not have been worth it.

We've found that a working Model S has a value floor that's pretty decent, even before the price surge currently going on. To me this is actually a little surprising, since there have been so many upgrades made since the oldest cars were produced... but doesn't seem to matter. A working clean title 2012 Model S can still fetch $30k+ right now.

However, not working (as in, failed battery pack) can drop that value by the cost of a replacement pack plus some. And, well, I should know. Probably 1 out of 5 times after discussing a battery replacement for someone (before the service plan) and going over the costs, I end up actually just purchasing the vehicle from the customer instead, generally giving them more than they could fetch for it anywhere else.

So yeah, like I've said before, I think this service plan setup of ours is a great value for anyone who's going to own a Model S beyond warranty.

If, after paying for the service plan, the BMD device shows a pre-existing issue that did not trigger a visible error to the owner, is it still covered? If not, do you refund the cost of the warranty?

Will be a little verbose to be unambiguous:

• If you purchase the plan, receive the BMD, install it, and its initial assessment is that the battery can not be covered, then you can get a full refund after returning the BMD. Alternatively, we can work with you on a replacement at the best pricing possible since we'll have data from your pack to make a very good estimate, and either carry over the service plan to the replacement pack if desired or cancel and credit it towards the replacement.

• If you purchase the plan, your OEM warranty is already expired, you receive the BMD, install it, and the initial assessment is good, then your plan is now active and failures are covered during the plan term. You can still get a pro-rata refund for the unused portion at any time before it expires as noted in the terms of the plan.

• If you purchase the plan, your OEM warranty is still active, you receive the BMD, install it, and the initial assessment is good, then your plan is ready to be active once your OEM warranty expires, provided the BMD remains installed. Plan term begins when your OEM warranty expires, and you're covered from then on for the term of the plan. Before your OEM warranty expires, you can get a full refund after returning the BMD. After your OEM warranty expires and the plan activates, you can still get a pro-rata refund for the unused portion at any time before it expires as noted in the terms of the plan.

• If you purchase the plan, received the BMD, and don't install it for whatever reason... you can get a full refund for the plan after returning the BMD.

• If you purchase the plan, your BMD hasn't shipped yet, and you want to cancel for some reason, you can get a full refund.

Hope this clarifies (I guess this deserves its own table on the website).

On a side note, we sold out our first batch of LTE
Can you illustrate what the BMD looks like? Is it hidden from view once installed?
My guys are supposed to be doing a bit of a photo shoot for the new install documentation for the two variants of the BMD, so I'll post that once it's available.

Basically it's just a small dongle that plugs into the CAN diagnostic port under the MCU. It can be tucked away under there without issue with the cubby in place and all. We've got a new revision that's coming in soon (bit smaller overall), so hopefully can get all of that squared away.

Our initial production batches are effectively sold out. Our plan is to ship them in batches based on a handful of factors, mostly location and OEM warranty status. Folks out of warranty will get them the soonest to get their coverage activated ASAP. In-warranty folks will be a little behind on priority, but obviously will still get them. Like right now, specifically, we're pushing a handful of in-warranty folks back to make sure out-of-warranty folks get units quickly. Once we get our final revisions done on the production side, supply won't be an issue and we'll be able to open up our non-US monitoring-only plans and such.

Model X is also part of the latest revision that's coming in, (hence the later launch) as the connector was changed.

• Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911
On a side note, we sold out our first batch of LTE

My guys are supposed to be doing a bit of a photo shoot for the new install documentation for the two variants of the BMD, so I'll post that once it's available.

Basically it's just a small dongle that plugs into the CAN diagnostic port under the MCU. It can be tucked away under there without issue with the cubby in place and all. We've got a new revision that's coming in soon (bit smaller overall), so hopefully can get all of that squared away.

Our initial production batches are effectively sold out. Our plan is to ship them in batches based on a handful of factors, mostly location and OEM warranty status. Folks out of warranty will get them the soonest to get their coverage activated ASAP. In-warranty folks will be a little behind on priority, but obviously will still get them. Like right now, specifically, we're pushing a handful of in-warranty folks back to make sure out-of-warranty folks get units quickly. Once we get our final revisions done on the production side, supply won't be an issue and we'll be able to open up our non-US monitoring-only plans and such.

Model X is also part of the latest revision that's coming in, (hence the later launch) as the connector was changed.
Will it be a long wait for more BMDs?

Will it be a long wait for more BMDs?
We put 2-8 weeks as an estimate on the website FAQ just to be safe, but shouldn't be that long. Assuming no issues with the latest revision and batch, should for sure get them out sooner than that.

Ha! 057tech.com tells me the entropy of my chosen password and that it's overkill! :D

How else are you going to know how hard your password is to hack? :p

Reactions: tga and FlatSix911
Ok, I’ll bite. I’m interested. In my case I have. Dec 2015 S90D. So if I buy in now my service plan would start sometime Dec Dec 2023. Here’s my issue, and wondering how you are/can address pricing.

I drive a lot. Like between 22k and 28k miles a year. My only ‘heartburn’ is that the two year service plan is really going to be a 1 year plan (or so) for me.

Any thoughts to offering a plan with different mileage limits?

Reactions: iamthewaughrus
Ok, I’ll bite. I’m interested. In my case I have. Dec 2015 S90D. So if I buy in now my service plan would start sometime Dec Dec 2023. Here’s my issue, and wondering how you are/can address pricing.

I drive a lot. Like between 22k and 28k miles a year. My only ‘heartburn’ is that the two year service plan is really going to be a 1 year plan (or so) for me.

Any thoughts to offering a plan with different mileage limits?

We're considering doing some addons, one of which would bump the mileage limit.

We're mostly concerned with the health of the pack, and that does wear with mileage. But since mileage is a crude proxy for real wear, we were considering making a custom metric for pack health and wear that would take more into account... kind of like Tesla's new safety score thing, but for how you treat your battery pack.

Unfortunately it'd be complicated, and I'm told probably too complicated to comply with relevant NC law if it replaced mileage.

So... the thinking is to make an addon where you can earn bonus miles or time in addition to the base mileage/term that's based on actual battery care.

Probably not happening any time soon, but an addon for more miles will probably come shortly after Model X support.