Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vendor Tesla Model S Battery Extended Service Plans from 057 Technology

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@wk057
If/when I get your service for my 2015 P85D
And the battery needs replacement within your warranty, could I upgrade to a P100DL pack/hardware and if so how much would that be being in your warranty?
Will I still get Tesla OTA updates?
Car will show as a P100DL in app and car menus?
Could I upgrade to a P100DL pack/hardware while having your warranty while there is no need for a replacement battery (good pack) but just want the upgraded battery pack and if so how much would that turn out to be?
Thank you so much!!

@wk057
If/when I get your service for my 2015 P85D
And the battery needs replacement within your warranty, could I upgrade to a P100DL pack/hardware and if so how much would that be being in your warranty?
[snip]
Could I upgrade to a P100DL pack/hardware while having your warranty while there is no need for a replacement battery (good pack) but just want the upgraded battery pack and if so how much would that turn out to be?

In short, yes we can do upgrades either way.

Longer, from our terms:

---
Upgrades Without a Failure
While covered by the Service Plan, or while the Service Plan is not yet active due to an existing OEM High Voltage Battery Warranty you may be able to get a discount from 057 Technology on an opt-in customer-pay High Voltage Battery Upgrade, provided the Battery Monitoring Device is installed and operational and your current battery pack is in good condition. The term of this Service Plan can continue with the upgraded battery pack. Contact us for more information.

Upgrades After a Failure
If your vehicle requires a replacement High Voltage Battery Pack as part of a covered service under this Service Plan, you may be eligible for a discount on a customer-pay High Voltage Battery Upgrade. Contact us for more information at that time.

---

Costs vary depending on a number of factors, and change over time. No way to know exactly what the cost would be if/when a failure occurs. Cost is partly dependent on the recoverable value from your existing pack (or in the case of a replacement under our service plan, value pre-failure), which we can't determine without either our monitoring device or having your car physically here at our location. All of that said, upgrades to the 100 kWh pack are quite expensive still, since these packs are still pretty uncommon on the secondhand markets.

Will I still get Tesla OTA updates?
Car will show as a P100DL in app and car menus?

As long as your upgraded vehicle results in a variant that was at one point produced or supported by Tesla, then you can get OTA updates as normal. (The only exception currently would be a RWD 100, since this never existed and thus has no update profile.)

With few exceptions, the upgraded vehicle would show the upgraded trim on the displays afterwards. (Again, currently just a RWD 100 being the exception, since this doesn't exist.)

Reactions: FlatSix911
Reading about this new service makes me wish I hadn’t sold my P85DL five months ago.

I assume it will be some time before the service (if ever) is offered for Model 3 since they all still have at least 3.5 years of the eight-year factory battery warranty remaining (excluding the high-mileage cars), the increased difficulty in battery replacement, etc.

Reactions: Baumisch
Reading about this new service makes me wish I hadn’t sold my P85DL five months ago.

I assume it will be some time before the service (if ever) is offered for Model 3 since they all still have at least 3.5 years of the eight-year factory battery warranty remaining (excluding the high-mileage cars), the increased difficulty in battery replacement, etc.

We're working on a Model 3 version... hoping to launch it before the end of the year. Don't expect a ton of takers right away, but there will definitely be folks outside of warranty on the Model 3 for mileage. It will likely also be more expensive than than the S/X plan for a handful of reasons.

@wk057
I understand Is that the price is going to be all over the place but could you at least provide a range like a minimum and maximum.
Like a range for a good battery pack and one that has issues? It's just a ballpark figure?
Thanks

Not really, no. Every case is different, and depends on stock/availability of the target pack at the time and our actual acquisition costs on those packs. We're not going to under or overcharge our customers. We make our labor costs, and generally nothing on the parts themselves. The upgrade cost range for the Model S is literally about $4,000 to $40,000... which is a pretty useless metric, especially since the people on the extremes are unlikely to either exist (like 70 to 75 upgrades, or 2013 60 to 100 upgrades) or follow through (like 85 to 100 folks quoted when costs are higher).

I also am not posting specific pricing estimates for things we don't have specific prices for, since people tend to take these and assume they're valid forever. We still get emails/requests about the pricing that I listed on a couple of one-off battery upgrade possibilities years ago to which the pricing a) never applied universally, and b) doesn't apply anymore regardless.

Anyway, what we do for upgrades currently (unrelated to the service plan) is we gather what info we can about your vehicle and determine the desired target pack. We can quote two ways:
  • We quote you today for the cost of your target pack, and you place a deposit for 100% the purchase cost of the target pack (labor separate later). We schedule the service to get your car to us later whenever you feel like it or whenever possible. We pull your core pack, examine and test it, and give you a core discount quote for it. If you accept it, we do the upgrade and refund you the core discount, less labor costs. If your core pack is less healthy than expected and you don't want to proceed, we put your pack back and refund you your original deposit, or can put your deposit towards something else (replacement, smaller upgrade, whatever works).; Or,
  • You get your vehicle to us, we examine and test your core pack, we get you a full quote at that time for the net cost to upgrade/replace, including labor. You pay that net cost, and we schedule the service. Service timing can depend on a number of factors. While we can usually squeeze in a pack examination, it's pretty unusual these days for a customer scheduling for a battery-related service to be first in line, and we do everyone on a first-come-first-serve basis. So you'd either have to come back later or leave your car with us.
Basically, we don't reserve any battery packs for any unpaid service. It's either your pack because you've put a full deposit down, or it's yours because we have your core and net payment. Battery pack inventory reserved for service plan replacements are not available for general paid upgrades/replacements.

With the service plan you'll have a BMD which gets us the bulk of the info we'd want to know about the pack, aside from the physical inspection aspect... so we can more closely estimate costs when requested based on that data. In fact, I'm planning on having options right in the service plan management page for customers to get pricing and pull the trigger on scheduling potential upgrades right there.

Unfortunately the days of a set price for upgrading from one thing to another are gone, as much as I wish I could do this differently. Our costs for the upgraded packs (especially the 100) vary significantly, and the variations in core battery pack values are all over the place. The value delta is just too much to reasonably quote. Your pack could be worth nothing to us, or it could be worth near-new value (neither extreme is likely)... there's just no way for us to know without actual data/inspection. (No, output from ScanMyTesla doesn't help. A raw full rate CAN3 log of a drive + supercharge can get us close, though).

I'm having trouble finding information about the mileage limit I keep seeing referenced.

Your FAQs include the following:
My car has 420,000,069 miles on it. Can I still signup?
We don't care how many miles are on your car. We care about the health of your battery pack. Our Battery Monitoring Device will assess your battery to determine if it qualifies for coverage under our service plans or not. If so, you're golden. If not, you get a full refund. Simple as that.

That initially led me to believe that the odometer doesn't factor in. However, a "mileage limit" has been mentioned several times on this thread, and I see references in the terms about "exceeding the mileage limit," so I guess it is, in fact, a thing. What I can't find at all is what the limit(s) is(are) to begin with....

Very intrigued by this program. I'm not in your zone yet (2020 MS LR+), but will be watching this space....

PS: ISWYDT w/ the miles you chose for the example.... ;)

I'm having trouble finding information about the mileage limit I keep seeing referenced. Your FAQs include the following:
That initially led me to believe that the odometer doesn't factor in. However, a "mileage limit" has been mentioned several times on this thread, and I see references in the terms about "exceeding the mileage limit," so I guess it is, in fact, a thing. What I can't find at all is what the limit(s) is(are) to begin with....

Very intrigued by this program. I'm not in your zone yet (2020 MS LR+), but will be watching this space....
I believe the referenced mileage limit is only relevant during the warranty period - not the previous elapsed mileage.

24-month / 25,000 mile HV Battery Plan

I'm having trouble finding information about the mileage limit I keep seeing referenced.

Your FAQs include the following:

The initial mileage of the car/pack doesn't matter, but the service plan itself is valid for 2 years or 25,000 miles, whichever comes first, starting from the time it becomes active.

giphy.gif

;)

I believe the referenced mileage limit is only relevant during the warranty period - not the previous elapsed mileage.

24-month / 25,000 mile HV Battery Plan

The initial mileage of the car/pack doesn't matter, but the service plan itself is valid for 2 years or 25,000 miles, whichever comes first, starting from the time it becomes active.

Ah....! Sorry....

Where's that "forehead slap" emoji when you need it?? :rolleyes:

iu

…we were considering making a custom metric for pack health and wear that would take more into account... kind of like Tesla's new safety score thing, but for how you treat your battery pack.

So... the thinking is to make an addon where you can earn bonus miles or time in addition to the base mileage/term that's based on actual battery care.

Have your “battery care” guidelines been shared publicly? It sounds like you have as much insight as anyone as far as that goes, so I would be very interested in reading them. Thanks!

Any status update on BMD availability?

Sorry for the lack of updates! Have been quite busy all around, and have mostly just been poking my head up occasionally to respond to random posts/tweets/etc quickly.

Our first batches of S and X BMDs have all shipped out, and those folks would have received notifications and instructions and such. As far as I can tell only a couple of those haven't come online yet. The subsequent batches are slightly delayed, but we're working on it! (Long explanation below.) I put 2-8 weeks as the ETA on the FAQ to account for potential delays, but never expected to actually be closer to the end of that timeframe... 😞

Right now, a few things going on concurrently:
  • Fixing up the website to be more useful for people, and correcting issues with the original site (such as broken service plan tab in the account). This will also eventually get the price changes online, since we decided it didn't make sense to keep tinkering with the existing site when a full overhaul was planned.
  • Getting BMDs built, tested, and shipped as quickly as possible.

So, good news and bad news. Bad news first:

Unfortunately have run into some issues with both of these projects that are slowing down progress.

First, this worldwide silicon shortage got us. Our BMD design relies on a 32-bit processor that is now backordered until mid 2023. Fortunately, we had the foresight to order up the remaining worldwide stock of these particular chips before they disappeared. While that's great for our in-house builds (we have a full SMT production setup here with a pick and place and all for doing full in-house builds of most of our products), we moved BMD production for the second batch to a US-based assembler to offload that work, and to get more units at once. This involved consigning some of our physical component stock to them for production, since they couldn't acquire them due to the shortage. No biggie, we've got plenty!

Well, as luck would have it, FedEx lost over $2,500 worth of chips when we overnighted a tray of them to our assembler... which are pretty much irreplaceable for about a year at this point. While they did recently pay out the claim on the lost package, that doesn't really help us get more chips to replace the lost ones. We're still pushing them to find our stuff, but, seems like a lost cause at this point.

The biggest issue with that is that we weren't aware of that until over a week later when our assembler reached out on the status of our physical stock consignment, which delayed the hunt with FedEx, and pushed back the entire production roadmap for the batch. Ugh. From our perspective, we were on track to have that batch in hand for final testing well ahead of our original schedule estimates. Instead, we ended up several weeks behind.

Fortunately, we do have plenty of chips on hand to get our production covered for the foreseeable near future, but will probably have to do a hardware change before summer to use something else we can actually get our hands on to perform the same task as the chip we already use in the design. Not the end of the world, but unexpected extra work, and extra effort with future updates and such.

For the website side, I personally do most development work for 057 (hardware, software, website, etc), but I've recently (past year or so) had a friend working for me and assisting with a lot of the backend stuff, with great success I might add. We've mostly been revamping our internal tools over the past year or so to make all of our offerings more streamlined, eventually updating the public website to integrate these changes into product and service offerings, like the service plans.

While we were working on the latest batch of updates, he's run into some things in his personal life which I won't detail. Suffice it to say he's working on a move, and has not had the time to help complete these latest updates. I'm unsure when exactly he'll be able to help again, so I've slotted time in my own schedule to pick up on this work. My personal schedule is pretty packed, so since the current site is working well enough for the moment, this didn't get prioritized. Hoping to get that chunk of work done within the next week.

In the meantime, if you don't see anything related to your service plan on the website, even if you already have a BMD setup, don't worry. Things are still working on the backend it just is broken for some getting data to the front end. If you paid an invoice, though, and don't see that invoice in your account, let us know... since that should be working still.

On to the good news!

I have several folks who have been closed-beta testing the BMDs for over a year now who are also software developers. After some discussion, I decided to give one of them some limited access to some relevant code, and the ability to modify their own BMD. They're pretty enthusiastic, and I think a lot of neat features that I never even thought of are going to be in the pipeline thanks to his efforts. He specifically reached out about the ScanMyTesla via Bluetooth integration initially, and, long story short, after some legal stuff was out of the way I shot him over my test code for that and within a few days he pretty much had it fully working. It still needs a lot of polish, sanity, and security vetting to be something I'd push to the "fleet", but will definitely save me a ton of work on implementing that feature... so that's definitely happening... will be an OTA update at some point. 🤩

There also seems to be a ton of interest in more advanced access to the BMD and the data/abilities it has... which isn't something we really planned for. The BMDs use LTE connectivity, primarily, and our data plans are not high bandwidth or high data caps. We max out at about 100MB per month, which is more than enough for basic updates, logging, etc. Opening that up to 3rd party dev of any kind would run the risk of overages there, or would need to be better locked down to prevent such an occurrence. That said, we're pretty likely going to be doing some kind of developer access program for the BMD. Given our experience with our one enthusiastic beta tester, I feel like the community will likely come up with some pretty cool stuff. It's basically a low power, always-on device with LTE connectivity, bluetooth and wifi capability, and access to two CAN busses on the vehicle. The hardware is actually pretty overkill for what we use it for, so might as well make it do whatever cool stuff people can think up! Have added this to the roadmap.

Related to the above, we've been working with our LTE provider, and have managed to get some new deals that will likely help us get more data for these little devices.

Final bit of good news... maybe more of new news:

For folks signed up that have a BMD linked up, a new tool will be available on the website when the overhaul is complete. You'll be able to instantly price a battery upgrade for your car, purchase it, and schedule that service. Since the BMD will provide 95% of the information we need to assess a battery pack for upgrade cost recoup, we'll be able to offer vehicle-specific pricing for these upgrades.

We're also going to add a battery upgrade service to the main site for folks without a BMD that will take a VIN and give a price range. From their your options will be to: a) pay the highest of the range to schedule your upgrade (and be partly refunded based on the actual calculated value of the core pack at the time of completion); b) get the car to us for assessment for a final price; or c) place a deposit for 50% of the worst case price, we ship a BMD, you install it to assess the pack remotely, and we give a final price which you can then pay to schedule the service (and we'll retrieve the BMD at that time), or return the BMD for a refund (or activate a service plan with the BMD for a partial refund, if the car qualifies).

There's also going to be a VIN-specific general upgrade services tab on that page for things like dual chargers, AP1 retrofits (!), etc.

Lots of good stuff ahead!

That's about it for updates at the moment. Thanks again to everyone for your interest and support of our new service, and for sticking with our rockier-than-expected launch. Some of that was mildly poor planning since we got more interest than initially expected, but mostly just bad luck (see above).

Last edited:
Sorry for the lack of updates! Have been quite busy all around, and have mostly just been poking my head up occasionally to respond to random posts/tweets/etc quickly.

Our first batches of S and X BMDs have all shipped out, and those folks would have received notifications and instructions and such. As far as I can tell only a couple of those haven't come online yet. The subsequent batches are slightly delayed, but we're working on it! (Long explanation below.) I put 2-8 weeks as the ETA on the FAQ to account for potential delays, but never expected to actually be closer to the end of that timeframe... 😞

Right now, a few things going on concurrently:
  • Fixing up the website to be more useful for people, and correcting issues with the original site (such as broken service plan tab in the account). This will also eventually get the price changes online, since we decided it didn't make sense to keep tinkering with the existing site when a full overhaul was planned.
  • Getting BMDs built, tested, and shipped as quickly as possible.

So, good news and bad news. Bad news first:

Unfortunately have run into some issues with both of these projects that are slowing down progress.

First, this worldwide silicon shortage got us. Our BMD design relies on a 32-bit processor that is now backordered until mid 2023. Fortunately, we had the foresight to order up the remaining worldwide stock of these particular chips before they disappeared. While that's great for our in-house builds (we have a full SMT production setup here with a pick and place and all for doing full in-house builds of most of our products), we moved BMD production for the second batch to a US-based assembler to offload that work, and to get more units at once. This involved consigning some of our physical component stock to them for production, since they couldn't acquire them due to the shortage. No biggie, we've got plenty!

Well, as luck would have it, FedEx lost over $2,500 worth of chips when we overnighted a tray of them to our assembler... which are pretty much irreplaceable for about a year at this point. While they did recently pay out the claim on the lost package, that doesn't really help us get more chips to replace the lost ones. We're still pushing them to find our stuff, but, seems like a lost cause at this point.

The biggest issue with that is that we weren't aware of that until over a week later when our assembler reached out on the status of our physical stock consignment, which delayed the hunt with FedEx, and pushed back the entire production roadmap for the batch. Ugh. From our perspective, we were on track to have that batch in hand for final testing well ahead of our original schedule estimates. Instead, we ended up several weeks behind.

Fortunately, we do have plenty of chips on hand to get our production covered for the foreseeable near future, but will probably have to do a hardware change before summer to use something else we can actually get our hands on to perform the same task as the chip we already use in the design. Not the end of the world, but unexpected extra work, and extra effort with future updates and such.

For the website side, I personally do most development work for 057 (hardware, software, website, etc), but I've recently (past year or so) had a friend working for me and assisting with a lot of the backend stuff, with great success I might add. We've mostly been revamping our internal tools over the past year or so to make all of our offerings more streamlined, eventually updating the public website to integrate these changes into product and service offerings, like the service plans.

While we were working on the latest batch of updates, he's run into some things in his personal life which I won't detail. Suffice it to say he's working on a move, and has not had the time to help complete these latest updates. I'm unsure when exactly he'll be able to help again, so I've slotted time in my own schedule to pick up on this work. My personal schedule is pretty packed, so since the current site is working well enough for the moment, this didn't get prioritized. Hoping to get that chunk of work done within the next week.

In the meantime, if you don't see anything related to your service plan on the website, even if you already have a BMD setup, don't worry. Things are still working on the backend it just is broken for some getting data to the front end. If you paid an invoice, though, and don't see that invoice in your account, let us know... since that should be working still.

On to the good news!

I have several folks who have been closed-beta testing the BMDs for over a year now who are also software developers. After some discussion, I decided to give one of them some limited access to some relevant code, and the ability to modify their own BMD. They're pretty enthusiastic, and I think a lot of neat features that I never even thought of are going to be in the pipeline thanks to his efforts. He specifically reached out about the ScanMyTesla via Bluetooth integration initially, and, long story short, after some legal stuff was out of the way I shot him over my test code for that and within a few days he pretty much had it fully working. It still needs a lot of polish, sanity, and security vetting to be something I'd push to the "fleet", but will definitely save me a ton of work on implementing that feature... so that's definitely happening... will be an OTA update at some point. 🤩

There also seems to be a ton of interest in more advanced access to the BMD and the data/abilities it has... which isn't something we really planned for. The BMDs use LTE connectivity, primarily, and our data plans are not high bandwidth or high data caps. We max out at about 100MB per month, which is more than enough for basic updates, logging, etc. Opening that up to 3rd party dev of any kind would run the risk of overages there, or would need to be better locked down to prevent such an occurrence. That said, we're pretty likely going to be doing some kind of developer access program for the BMD. Given our experience with our one enthusiastic beta tester, I feel like the community will likely come up with some pretty cool stuff. It's basically a low power, always-on device with LTE connectivity, bluetooth and wifi capability, and access to two CAN busses on the vehicle. The hardware is actually pretty overkill for what we use it for, so might as well make it do whatever cool stuff people can think up! Have added this to the roadmap.

Related to the above, we've been working with our LTE provider, and have managed to get some new deals that will likely help us get more data for these little devices.

Final bit of good news... maybe more of new news:

For folks signed up that have a BMD linked up, a new tool will be available on the website when the overhaul is complete. You'll be able to instantly price a battery upgrade for your car, purchase it, and schedule that service. Since the BMD will provide 95% of the information we need to assess a battery pack for upgrade cost recoup, we'll be able to offer vehicle-specific pricing for these upgrades.

We're also going to add a battery upgrade service to the main site for folks without a BMD that will take a VIN and give a price range. From their your options will be to: a) pay the highest of the range to schedule your upgrade (and be partly refunded based on the actual calculated value of the core pack at the time of completion); b) get the car to us for assessment for a final price; or c) place a deposit for 50% of the worst case price, we ship a BMD, you install it to assess the pack remotely, and we give a final price which you can then pay to schedule the service (and we'll retrieve the BMD at that time), or return the BMD for a refund (or activate a service plan with the BMD for a partial refund, if the car qualifies).

There's also going to be a VIN-specific general upgrade services on that page for things like dual chargers, AP1 retrofits (!), etc.

Lots of good stuff ahead!

That's about it for updates at the moment. Thanks again to everyone for your interest and support of our new service, and for sticking with our rockier-than-expected launch. Some of that was mildly poor planning since we got more interest than initially expected, but mostly just bad luck (see above).
Whew! Thanks.

service/warranty for Germany

Yeah, Germany or EU ;)

Btw @wk057 I faintly recall that you were looking into international shipping and encountered relative lower costs than inside US thus talked about a possible extension of your services into the EU. Anything on that from your end? Or perhaps expanding your core business (salvaging battery modules and resale for local storage) *and* your Tesla service into DE (EU)? :cool:

Awesome! 😊

At the moment the BMD will take up the connector needed by whatever CAN reader you're using. You'd have to fabricate a splitter of some kind to still use that setup.

That said, I'm adding more and more to the BMD dashboard, and have plans to update the BMD to be able to emulate a bluetooth device like one used by SMT and other 3rd party apps.

wk057

Just to be clear the BMD connects to the CAN bus under the MCU center screen? not to the OBD2 port to the left of the brake pedal? Currently I run my BlackVue dashcam off the OBD2 port to the left of the break pedal, so I want to make sure I can still use/do that before I commit.

wk057

Just to be clear the BMD connects to the CAN bus under the MCU center screen? not to the OBD2 port to the left of the brake pedal? Currently I run my BlackVue dashcam off the OBD2 port to the left of the break pedal, so I want to make sure I can still use/do that before I commit.
It connects to the MCU diagnostic port under the MCU. Usually the cubby, or one side panel, needs to pop off to get to it.

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H and xAgyex
Hi Everyone!

(I'm going to link to this post later on in a mass update to folks still waiting on BMDs, so, apologies for any redundancy there.)

I know it's been a while since I've posted an update, and a lot of folks have been, understandably, sending in inquiries about their BMD shipments.

It's been a bit of a roller coaster trying to get all caught up on the BMD shipments with all of the hardware shortages. I'm not super happy with how everything has gone, but we've definitely been doing our best. Admittedly, we really didn't expect the demand for this service to be significantly beyond our initial BMD batch within as short of a time as it was.

The TL;DR version:
We eventually decided we just had to do a pretty major hardware redesign based on actually-available hardware components, and validating that design has taken a lot longer than anticipated. With a hardware redesign also comes software changes, which also take time. We've devoted our efforts and resources to completing all of that instead of some other things like finishing the previously noted website changes (which why some things are still broken on the website and why we never actually updated the pricing or removed the promo pricing as of yet).

New units are being built while we finalize testing and should go out pretty soon.

Longer version:

We were on track to get all caught up on BMD shipments when the initial component shortage caught us. As noted before, we had some inventory of the chips needed to complete that batch, but turns out that wasn't all that was missing. In their turn-key efforts to complete our production batch, a couple of other components were replaced with pin-compatible alternative parts. These worked fine on the bench for programming and testing, but turns out in our haste to get these completed we did not realize these were not automotive rated replacement components. (Getting a bit more technical here, as a performance vs cost measure, there are in fact some components on the unit that are not specifically automotive rated, so this isn't completely unusual. But, the components that aren't rated as such are also not required to be 100% reliable across the automotive temperature and vibration ranges, and the other components take this potential instability into account. This is all fine, since this isn't a mission critical device required for operating the vehicle. In an absolute worst case scenario.... we just ship another one. It can't damage anything or cause other problems. However, the components in question that were substituted by our fabricator are components that do need to operate reliably in an automotive environment and thus need to be automotive rated.)

While these units would probably work for some time in the wild without issue, we definitely don't want our customers to routinely have to physically tinker with this device. Kind of defeats the purpose if you have to mess with it all the time to ensure it's functioning. While there is a small chance a normal unit can get into an unrecoverable state and require a physical unplug/re-plug to correct it, these are generally super rare due to the design (with our existing fleet we've had a total of 2 such events to-date). In our testing of the units from the last batch, we found that such instances were quite common and therefore these units would not be super useful for our customers. :( We're going to use them for some in-house prototype and testing projects so they don't complete go to waste, but... still kind of a waste unfortunately.

We did get units from a previously commissioned smaller batch, which did all ship out to customers who were signed up and already out of OEM warranty. We also hand-built some of the units in-house using the remaining hardware we had on-hand from in-house development and testing (admittedly, not many). Not enough for everyone, unfortunately, and we prioritized those shipments based on a handful of factors (order date, time out of warranty, etc).

That said, the hardware redesign is completed, software changes are tentatively completed (still tweaking some things, but it's functional) and we're running everything through full validation. Since everything looks promising, we've already got a production batch to complete our entire shipping queue twice over already in progress. This should put us in a good spot moving forward. Our original design went through over a year of testing and validation in our closed beta program, so dialing in that level of reliability with the new design in a short period has been a pretty good challenge.

At the risk of ending up in continued Elon-time type situation, I'm reluctant to give an estimated time frame on this... but I specifically waited until there weren't any major potential speedbumps left on the process before posting an update at all.

My apologies to everyone who's signed up and hasn't yet received their BMD. I know it's been way longer than it should be. As noted before, as a consolation to everyone who's signed up and doesn't receive their BMD within our timeframe quoted on the website, we're extending their plans by a month at no cost. Also, anyone who hasn't received their BMD yet also hasn't even started the countdown on their service plan, so no worries there.

While we technically don't cover problems while the BMD isn't connected, we realize it's also not your fault if you haven't received one after the estimated ship time. So, unofficially, we're still going to work with people who paid, are still waiting, and have some sort of battery issue. We've so far not had many cases of this, and we've handled it such that did our best to diagnose the issue with the customers, got the car, used Tesla logs to pinpoint the timing and validity of the issue, and resolved it for them. Even though no BMD was active, in fairness we started the clock on their plan as if it were activated by a BMD at the end of the BMD shipping-estimate time. Both us and the customers found this to be more than fair. Again, while our terms are pretty specific... we're going to make a best effort attempt to take care of folks who have any issues regardless.

All of that said, thanks again to everyone who's signed up and rode this out with us. It's much appreciated. I will point out that if for whatever reason you want to cancel your plan, you can do so and we'll refund you. I fully understand that these shipments are taking forever, and fully understand if that's what anyone decides to do. No hard feelings whatsoever.

Once everyone who signed up has a BMD in hand, we're going to move forward with our website updates/improvements.

---

Semi-related: Our LTE carrier is working with us on some international data rates. We're going to launch a monitoring-only BMD rental service for customers outside of North America once we're all caught up on BMD shipments. We won't be offering this in North America, however, except for folks with vehicles we can't or won't cover under our program for whatever reason (failed initial battery qualification, unsupported model such as the original 60s, etc). The BMDs are VIN-paired, so only work with the vehicle they're assigned to. (In fact, on the technical side, the VIN as seen on the vehicle's CAN bus is part of the data used to unlock encrypted connectivity to our backend services.) The pricing model for that is going to be a deposit for the full replacement price of the BMD, plus a periodic subscription fee, with the deposit refundable once the BMD is returned.

---

More notes as we move along:

One addition to the site is going to be a beta of closed referral program. Initially, I'm going to personally reach out to a few folks that I think would be a good fit for that program and see how it goes and get some feedback. If you feel like you have a platform or something that might be a fit for it, drop me a line. I don't think we'll ever do an open referral program, since we don't want to invite people to spam others, but we'll see how that goes.

While we haven't been working on our major site updates, we do have some improvements in the works for the BMD dashboard. We have a customer-facing API in testing, for those who want that, with access to pretty much everything the BMD uses both in semi-real-time and historic data. The dashboard is also going to have the option to track vehicle alerts that are available to the BMD (generally most relevant ones are) so you can alerts that may normally be hidden outside of Service Mode and the like.

More technical:
Also, we've done some brainstorming on opening up some official software access to the BMD for those who want that. We're doing a server-side customer accessible API for sure, but actual customer code running on the BMD itself is doable.

LTE bandwidth being the key concern with this, we're going to try this on a bit of an honor system at first. Further, as part of the process, we're going to ask that, again on the honor system, that you share anything cool you do with the BMD so that other's might benefit from it. If it works out, we might do a thing on the dashboard to install custom modules and such to your BMD.

To be clear, things proprietary to 057 still won't be accessible, but we'll make it so your code can have access to CAN messages and network connectivity. We haven't decided if we're going to allow transmitting of any CAN messages to the car... but if there's a legit use case proposed we might consider it on a case-by-case, with us still in control of the exact messages to be sent since this would have to be done by the trusted side of the module. The hardware design has both a trusted and untrusted portion. The trusted portion runs only 057-signed and encrypted code (encrypted per-BMD, even), the untrusted portion is where a third party could put some custom things, but still not have any access to mess with the vehicle or anything. Admittedly, a savvy person wouldn't have much issue messing with the untrusted portion of the unit, which handles LTE connectivity, even without any help from us, but the trusted portion is the only part that has any actual access to any vehicle CAN data. The untrusted portion is mainly just to handle relaying encrypted data appropriately, so you'd still need some official support from us to access any data at all.

The first BMD software module we expect to have available like this will be the Bluetooth OBD emulator, specifically to make the BMD work with apps like ScanMyTesla, since the hardware on the BMD does have Bluetooth capabilities. It's going to be read only, so any app that relies on sending CAN won't work (I don't believe SMT does this, so all good). (Technical side: On the backend, the data won't be raw CAN at full-rate since this really isn't needed for these apps... instead the BMD is going to just snapshot relevant messages wanted by the apps and relay them periodically (1Hz or so), and leave room for some of the more real-time messages (like power/current/pack voltage) at around 10Hz. Works well in testing, and SMT doesn't know the difference.)

Way more stuff in the works than I have time to write about here, but will get more out as things progress.

Thanks again!

Last edited: