Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model S Coupe Rendering

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is just an edit I came across and I have seen some incredible designs on the web. Would you want a Model S Coupe if the option was available?

http://www.carscoops.com/2014/06/tesla-model-s-becomes-coupe-via.html

Tesla-Model-S-1%u002525255B3%u002525255D.jpg

Actually I think that Tesla should produce at least 4 or 5 Models as soon as possible to catch up other important automakers all over the world. Next year the Model X is coming but 2 Models are still not enough. So maybe that next year Tesla could produce the Coupe Model S?
My 2 cents.

Coupes that are just 2 door versions of sedans don't interest me at all. More inconvenience and nothing gained. But they are usually cheap to produce which is why everyone does them (and usually gets to charge a premium for), so why not?

The NCE convertible conversion, OTOH, is something I am definitely interested in. But, frankly, only if I could keep my four doors. If I knew for sure I was going to do it, I would skip the Pano roof and just have my Tesla sent directly there, but I suspect I will think about it and never pull the trigger.

Frankly I expect the model line to pretty much look like this:
Model S - premium sedan
Model X - premium SUV
Model E - small sedan
Unnamed small SUV
mid-sized sedan and SUV

Pretty much every other vehicle is a niche market (wagons, sports cars, etc.) and while they may do it, I'd prefer they stick to making a few models really well before starting on monstrosities like the BMW X6.

I agree up to "mid-sized sedan and SUV". I think before they do that, they'd revisit the roadster concept and do it entirely their way this time.

Yes, AND, please move that roadster up the list before "unnamed small SUV".

Also, this guy votes for small pickup truck. And maybe van. Business use will increase and broaden adoption, and most small businesses (particularly in cities) are well suited to electric fleet, once cost comes down.

Somewhere in there I'd put a pickup truck. If they can pull it off for the right price it could mean big volume and a whole new kind of exposure.

If anyone can pull off an entry in that market, I wouldn't count out Elon. But, that being said, pick-up trucks are an entirely different ball game - light weight and aerodynamic they are not. I imagine the energy expenditures of towing, carrying heavy cargo, etc. would also drain the crap out of a battery. Plus the Japanese have tried several times to break into this market and failed. My suspicion is that a hybrid truck would be a superior option - maximize torque across the rev range but maintain a lot of the advantages of ICE.

Yes, AND, please move that roadster up the list before "unnamed small SUV".

Also, this guy votes for small pickup truck. And maybe van. Business use will increase and broaden adoption, and most small businesses (particularly in cities) are well suited to electric fleet, once cost comes down.

I could see a cargo van / city delivery truck doing well. Fleet vehicles could see huge savings. I would launch them under a different sub-brand for industrial vehicles (I like Watt after James Watt personally). But I don't expect a small pick-up truck - nobody is really interested in them given the price differential between them and a base full-size (e.g., Ranger lost to F150, etc.)

So armchair quarterbacking the product matrix:
Sedans
Premium S
Economy E
Medium

SUV
Premium X
Economy
Medium

Commercial van & Pick-up truck
(maybe on cheapened S/X platform stripped down but might need higher clearance and geared for stop and go rather than outright acceleration)

Sports
(maybe on lightened E platform)
911 competitor
Cayman/Boxster

If it was going to be that much of a copy of the Model S, I'd rather have and pay for a copy in wagon form. It'd be a nice compliment to the current Model S, whereas if I had the coupe and the sedan...I'd have to ask 'what's the point?' everytime I stepped into the garage.

attachment.php?attachmentid=11586&d=1352861403.jpg

If it was going to be that much of a copy of the Model S, I'd rather have and pay for a copy in wagon form. It'd be a nice compliment to the current Model S, whereas if I had the coupe and the sedan...I'd have to ask 'what's the point?' everytime I stepped into the garage.

I love this and I would have bought it over the sedan...because I love wagons but live on the wrong side of the pond to get a nice one :(

Looks cool, but I feel same about it as coupe and mid-sized:

- Coupe - insufficiently different from MS
- Mid-Sized - to me, MS and Gen III may be enough sedan choices
- Wagon - MS hatchback with seats down is HUGE. I'm sure there are a few further things you could carry with wagon, but again very little additional territory covered.

I'm still with
* MS
* MX
* Gen III
* Smaller SUV/crossover
* Small Van
* Small Pickup
* Roadster that competes with Alfa 4c
* "Statement" roadster that competes with McLaren
* Convertible S
* Convertible Gen III

PS, re Pickup, I did a test. I've got a LOT of work being done on my house right now. Electrician, Solar Installers, Roofers, Decking installers, Landscapers all drive pickups. I asked them each whether they would consider a plug-in pickup with following parameters: ~50k, negligible operating and fuel costs, tons of torque for loads, 100 to 120 mi daily range loaded, overnight charging, always on maps, internet access.

All said ABSOLUTELY. I could go into why each of these is relevant for construction trade... but suffice it to say I think it could be a hit.

Way too BMWish to me. I would hope they could come up with something with much more beauty and style...