Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model S CPO Website - Now Live

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just came down from Tesla today stating that now 0 car after 12/31 will be grandfathered in even CPOs for unlimited SC. This sucks as we were buying in Jan. Now, if we choose a car now 1000 down and have 4 days to get a carmax quote and dont even know if they will come close to that quote when we trade it in in 3/4 weeks (time it takes to get a CPO ready) plus having to choose a car NOW. UGH.

Now, what if I go this route now and then they change the "grandfathered" in again on us taking away the unlimited. Which looks like may cost me a few 1000 up front jumping on a car now vs. late Jan. 17

Before being rushed into a decision, consider what the value of free supercharging truly is. In rough terms, supercharging will cost you about half as much per mile driven (very rough terms) versus an internal combusion engine. You're letting yourself get worked into a frenzy, and possibly making a poor financial decision, for the equivalent of maybe $100/mo if you were taking long trips all the time.

The end of free supercharging has multiple motivations. One of which, by introducing a sunset clause instead of just saying "from this date forward", is demand generation. Don't get roped up in it. Buy the right car when you're completely comfortable. Having to compromise will only result in you having free supercharging for a vehicle that annoys you.

Cpo manager in West palm beach just emailed me tonight saying corporate just sent him anot email. I have been considering for a while and planned in Jan.

Free is good for us as theyou are opening a SC station 5 mins away from me. so we were going to fill it once a week

Free is good for us as theyou are opening a SC station 5 mins away from me. so we were going to fill it once a week
If you are so worried about money that it's justified for you to spend the time to go there and wait for charging instead of charging at home, reconsider if you can afford this car. If you don't have the ability to add charging at home, then I understand the appeal of free charging.

• Love
Reactions: winfield100
I am sure people that live next to one use they way more than the average Joe.

And, CPO told me today that it's 1000 miles a year free. So that's about equal to ~400 ice full fill ups a year. about so about 1000 a year in savings

Last edited:
And, CPO told me today that it's 1000 mins a year free. So that's about equal to ~400 ice full fill ups a year. about so about 1000 a year in savings

It's 1000 miles per year (400kWh), which equals roughly 74 US dollars worth of electricity (at 18.5 cents per kWh average EV rate in San Diego, your rates may vary). 74 US dollars equals about TWO gasoline fill ups for an average car.

• Helpful
Reactions: Fiver and Indpowr
Thanks

250 miles per tank EV.
~500 miles per tank on Benz 36 dollars

So I would have to do a full charge 2x to equal my ice car once to.equal the same miles.

I was told buyou a MS owner it's about 17 dollars on 240 line to charge in Florida so that's where my math comes in

Feel free to educate me what's a full charge run to obtain 256 miles roughly

I plan on adding a 80a SC on my wall.

To see my mother in West palm it's about 400 miles round trip so I would need to rely on the SC and united would save me some money but, I have 3 days to out money down. and I am nervous he will back out of the grandfather issued at some point.

I am sure people that live next to one use they way more than the average Joe.

I live within 2 miles of one SC location, 5 miles of another, and 30 miles from another two.

I *never* use them.

Also, just so you know, you'll probably never get a full 250 miles out of an 85kwh battery unless conditions are perfect, you drive a constant 60mph, have no hills or wind, etc. You can do it, it's just not that easy or common. And if you do drive down to 0 miles, you better be pretty sure you have charging available at your destination. A more conservative and achievable number is 220-230 miles, but still in 'good' conditions.

Since Tesla is clamping down on free SC use, I definitely would not rely on a very local SC for your use. They know it, and have sent nastygrams to people who do that. It's also possible that they will severely limit your power when charging at a local SC (I don't know if this was ultimately proven or disproven, but they can do it to prevent local SC use).

As mentioned above, I would suggest not being forced into a car just over the free SC. It's like making a huge decision for all the wrong reasons. But good luck in whatever you decide.

if you do not have home charging then okay, but this is not what the "Free Supercharging" is used for...this would be abuse, if this is your plan of waiting at the SC everyweek for an hour ++ (taking up a valuable charging spot) then i would suggest you reconsider your decision.

Parking sensors started around vin 19k in '13. Same goes for power folding mirrors. PK01 and X037 option codes, respectively. You can check the link address of the additional stock photos in the listing, it will list all of the car's (factory configured) option codes.

I think power folding mirrors came slightly later, in Nov of 2013. My first S had them, but I was one of the first--when I ordered (in September?) they weren't part of the tech package. My VIN was 26xxx.

• Informative
Reactions: Indpowr
if you do not have home charging then okay, but this is not what the "Free Supercharging" is used for...this would be abuse, if this is your plan of waiting at the SC everyweek for an hour ++ (taking up a valuable charging spot) then i would suggest you reconsider your decision.
Valuable would mean they are being used and in demand. I had a Tesla a week and lucky to see another one using it. Brandon I did. I am still new to Tesla and don't have a better than others attitude.
IMG_20161112_021124.jpg

People on these forums forget that some of us live in apartments without access to home charging. I know it's not ideal, but in these cases Superchargers are often the only option.

If you live in a city, you might not have a garage or driveway to even park in. (See Hong Kong supercharging as an example)

Reactions: Cyclone and Indpowr
People on these forums forget that some of us live in apartments without access to home charging. I know it's not ideal, but in these cases Superchargers are often the only option.

If you live in a city, you might not have a garage or driveway to even park in. (See Hong Kong supercharging as an example)

In my opinion, such people shouldn't complain about having to pay after 400 kWh of charging though, knowing they bought the car without any other charging option available. Even if they have grandfathered Supercharger access, they will still be subject to idle supercharger fee charges, so at least they wouldn't use the Supercharger as a parking space overnight.

Reactions: Drucifer
In my opinion, such people shouldn't complain about having to pay after 400 kWh of charging though, knowing they bought the car without any other charging option available. Even if they have grandfathered Supercharger access, they will still be subject to idle supercharger fee charges, so at least they wouldn't use the Supercharger as a parking space overnight.

I wasn't complaining about supercharger fees, or idle fees, or any of that... I was just making a point about how some people HAVE to rely on superchargers for all their charging.

As soon as someone says "Oh, I live a few minutes from <X> Supercharger! I can use that!" Everyone assumes it's just asshole local supercharging. Well sometimes it's not. Don't make assumptions about other people's situations.

That being said, if you live next to a supercharger, and charge up there during the busiest time of the day when you have a charger at home just "because you can", f**k you.

I have no problem with locals who use superchargers during quiet times, who stay with their vehicle, and then leave promptly when charged up. It's the few rotten apples who ended up ruining it for everyone.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cyclone
I wasn't complaining about supercharger fees, or idle fees, or any of that... I was just making a point about how some people HAVE to rely on superchargers for all their charging.

As soon as someone says "Oh, I live a few minutes from <X> Supercharger! I can use that!" Everyone assumes it's just asshole local supercharging. Well sometimes it's not. Don't make assumptions about other people's situations.

That being said, if you live next to a supercharger, and charge up there during the busiest time of the day when you have a charger at home just "because you can", f**k you.

I have no problem with locals who use superchargers during quiet times, who stay with their vehicle, and then leave promptly when charged up. It's the few rotten apples who ended up ruining it for everyone.

I agree with you. I was referring to the other poster who is complaining about rushing to buy a CPO this week just to get the current lifetime Supercharging option. Regardless of whether they had to use the Supercharger or not as their charging source, it definitely was complaining that if they wait, they would have to pay for their local Supercharging.