TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Tesla Model S CPO Website - Now Live

Discussion in 'Model S: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by Benjamin Brooks, Apr 24, 2015.

1. supratachophobia

supratachophobia Active Member

I can see them doing it as long as they reduce the sales price price by a specific $2000 (original cost of unlimited supercharging). But I agree, still dick-ish to do it in the first place.

2. tga

tga Supporting Member

Why? The seller can set the price to whatever they want.

3. AMPd

AMPd Active Member

They definitely haven’t removed free supercharging from cars that came with free lifetime supercharging.

• Like x 1
  4. rhumbliner

rhumbliner Member

I’m not so sure. We’ve all been following Tesla closely so it might seem bad to us. But for someone who’s new to EV’s and Tesla (and never owned a car with free unlimited gasoline) buying a used Tesla with FUSC stripped away wouldn’t seem so strange. I can imagine the conversation going something like this:

Buyer: Didn’t some early models come with free charging?
    Tesla: Yes, in fact this one did but it doesn’t anymore.
    Buyer: <shrug> Well electricity is still cheaper than gas. I’ll take it.

5. Plan B

Plan B Active Member

I really do not get why FSC is such a big deal. In Oregon there are only to SC and those are along the highway far from most.

To own a Tesla in most states, you really need to have home charging.

CA residents are the ones that really use it, even if they have home charging.

The last road trip I went on it coast me less than $80 to get to Palm Springs and back.

6. DarkMatter

DarkMatter Member

People often irrationally love unlimited things. Witness how pretty much all post-paid cell plans are now marketed as 'unlimited' even though they are actually often quite limited. If people actually looked at their usage rationally many of them would choose a lower limited plan and just pay the overage when it happens. But we don't. Even in the days of limited cell plans people would get more minutes than they needed. And people do leases with more miles than they need even though the overage is sometimes cheaper than leaving miles unused.

It could also be related to the fact that many households, even high income ones, basically live paycheck to paycheck. So fixed expenses that can be budgeted around are much more desirable than chaotic ones.

At the same time, it's also just fun and satisfying to pull up to a Supercharger and know there is zero marginal cost. It's easy to put an outsized value on that.

7. supratachophobia

supratachophobia Active Member

It's the perception and the lack of hassle and the convenience all rolled into one which makes it a big deal. They're is monetary value beyond the cost per kw about just showing up, plugging in, and not giving the process a second thought.

8. EV-CPO

EV-CPO Vendor

That might be true, but that's still not the main point.

The point is, Tesla, as far as I know, has not yet stripped FUSC from any FUSC eligible car built before Jan 2017.

But to your assertion, I do believe it would be a huge PR mistake for Tesla to start stripping FUSC on cars they have previously stated have FUSC for the life of the car, because their marginal cost to do so is so low, but the potential consequences so high.

9. AMPd

AMPd Active Member

Using teslas superchargers only?
    At California’s prices of .32 cents, you’d get 250kWh. Best case scenario that’s 800 miles of range, Palm Springs to the Oregon border is about 760 miles

I don’t believe it cost you 80 dollars to get to Palm Springs and back.

10. DarkMatter

DarkMatter Member

It's unlikely that they started with zero energy in the battery. Add destination charging and you've made a pretty hefty dent in the energy needed.

11. AMPd

AMPd Active Member

It’s also unlikely they started at the Oregon/California border
    I’ll accept destination charging for the way back but then you gotta add Oregon to the end of the trip so once again that math doesn’t add up.

12. DarkMatter

DarkMatter Member

I was also thinking of the energy in their battery for the way out. It's possible that the math still does not add up, I did not double check it.

13. cucubits

cucubits Member

This! While it doesn't necessarily make sense, this is driving me to consider an older S as opposed to a new 3. I have a supercharger about 15 miles away (95% of the route is highway) so I wouldn't mind just driving over to get it charged for free anytime, even if the power used at home would be cheap. Can't explain it why, but it makes sense to me and I imagine it would be very satisfying to know that I have free fuel.

• Disagree x 2
  14. DarkMatter

DarkMatter Member

Please don't do that. If you can charge at home, please do.

• Like x 2
  15. cucubits

cucubits Member

I only have a regular 110v at home. I have to rely on the supercharger at least from time to time.
    From what I've been reading, it shouldn't damage the battery too much...

16. Fiver

Fiver Active Member

I drove everywhere for free with my first Tesla. Put tens of thousands of miles on that thing in under 2 years. Cross country twice, from Utah to SF, down to LA, back up into Utah through Vegas twice. All free!

Felt great until I went to sell it, and realized all those miles on the odometer did far more to depreciate its value. Yea I saved maybe $1,500 in electricity (and probably $5,000 if it was gas), but those 30,000 miles in 18 months dropped the cars value by probably twice that. Sold my car for less then I wanted, now I wish I'd just kept it.... Why?

I fell for it and bought a new X last summer just before the formal cut off of unlimited free supercharging. Knowing how those miles kill resale, I don't drive the X far unless I have to, and now wish I hadn't bought it and just waited. I could have got a loaded X Raven P100D (or X PLR now?) for less then I paid for my normal X 100D.

I've owned my X 9 months and only have 4,500 miles on it, I've only supercharged it maybe 15 times. I can live without free supercharging now.

17. bkp_duke

bkp_duke Active Member

Pay an electrician to put a 240V in, it's worth your time.

• Like x 2
  18. DarkMatter

DarkMatter Member

You will really enjoy it if you put in a 240V plug at home.

Supercharging shouldn't really do damage to the battery. It's more about using limited infrastructure that is shared by everyone. Someone who can charge at home can choose to do that or to Supercharge, but someone with no home charging or who is on a road trip has no choice.

19. cucubits

cucubits Member

I understand that but it's not a problem here. The supercharger I mention is deep in the DFW metroplex (TX), lots of stalls and almost always empty. There's really no concern in messing up someones roadtrip.

Compared to what I've seen on the west coast, here there are still so few Teslas around... but yeah, it's texas, folks here are way more concerned about not skipping church than the environment or technology... whoa, I got seriously side-tracked here :)

Sadly, for now, 240v at home is not an option. At least for the next year or so, I'm in an apartment complex and only have a 110v outlet in the garage. Upgrade/install is not a possibility.

20. bkp_duke

bkp_duke Active Member

This is not quite true. Supercharging does have a slow, but measured effect on battery longevity.

Little birdie at Tesla told me "if you want your battery to essentially last forever, charge at 20A on a 240V. Everything else will eventually promote slow but steady degradation".