Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model S CPO Website - Now Live

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wow some pretty decent deals lately. Looks like Model S prices are coming down, albeit slowly for something who watches it everyday. : )

Obviously they are gone just as quickly as they are put up.

Here is a recent one
55800 for 2013 S85 w/ 29K miles

With these prices and comparing to a new 85D, I might have to pick one up and give up the AWD. You are looking at $40K comparing a comparable equipped 85D. Factor in the tax credit for the new 85D, you are still around $30K. I am not sure autopilot, folding side mirrors, AWD, and lower mileage, slightly longer range are worth $30K.

Wow some pretty decent deals lately. Looks like Model S prices are coming down, albeit slowly for something who watches it everyday. : )

Obviously they are gone just as quickly as they are put up.

Here is a recent one
55800 for 2013 S85 w/ 29K miles

With these prices and comparing to a new 85D, I might have to pick one up and give up the AWD. You are looking at $40K comparing a comparable equipped 85D. Factor in the tax credit for the new 85D, you are still around $30K. I am not sure autopilot, folding side mirrors, AWD, and lower mileage, slightly longer range are worth $30K.

Here's what I'm struggling with....I should buy one of the CPOs now, and in a few years trade up to a used D with autopilot after they've had time to refine it and release some meaningful functionality. BUT...how much of a hit will I take when I make the trade and will it be worth it?

Here's what I'm struggling with....I should buy one of the CPOs now, and in a few years trade up to a used D with autopilot after they've had time to refine it and release some meaningful functionality. BUT...how much of a hit will I take when I make the trade and will it be worth it?

If that is the case, I say look into CPO leases. Maybe tesla will give you a decent deal. That way, you don't have to deal with selling it. Keep the extra money and put it towards the CPO 85D when it arrives. I doubt Tesla will take in CPO as trade-in in the future. If they do, I'm sure they will give you very little for it compared to what you can probably sell them at on the market at that time.

I am struggling with the same thing myself cause I am impatient but cheap! Assuming the resale value of a CPO would be roughly half in three years, a 65k CPO would be worth 32.5k. Is losing 10k a year worth it? Keep in mind that 3 years from now maybe the Model 3 is out selling for about 30k so that might just drive the price of a non-autopilot/dual motor Model S even lower.

As tempting as the current CPO may be, I have to stay strong and let my money keep building up for now. Maybe we should start a support group?

I am struggling with the same thing myself cause I am impatient but cheap! Assuming the resale value of a CPO would be roughly half in three years, a 65k CPO would be worth 32.5k. Is losing 10k a year worth it? Keep in mind that 3 years from now maybe the Model 3 is out selling for about 30k so that might just drive the price of a non-autopilot/dual motor Model S even lower.

As tempting as the current CPO may be, I have to stay strong and let my money keep building up for now. Maybe we should start a support group?

Well i would look it at this way:

Are you going to keep the car longer than 8 years? If so, i wouldnt worry about thr resale value. If you plan to upgrade within 4 years, i would hold off and wait it out.

I know the P85 would fit fone for me for the next 8 years. My only concerns is the build quailty and the lack of awd. The earlier models tend to be worst in build quailty. The other is awd which i plan to use on snow and what not for better traction and control. This is definitely evident when i drow the s85d in the rain.

While some who argue the autopilot is worth the upgrade, i say, it is a model s and i know i wil want to drive the car not let it drive itself. Where is the fun in that?

I think I need a support group. I can "afford" an 85D now, I just don't have money to burn and would much rather get AT LEAST the discount that applies to inventory cars. In the meantime, I'm not getting any younger and hate to miss out on the fun of owning/driving a model S now.

There was a beautiful blue 85D inventory car sitting on a train waiting to be delivered to Cleveland just a few weeks ago. It was close to an ideal config. When my SM first told me about it, it was $103K, no discount. 4 days later (still on the train) it dropped over $2K. I figured one more price drop and I'd pull the trigger; but it sold last Monday. <sigh>.

Living in New England I would want the AWD just in case and always been a big fan of Knight Rider, I want the autopilot features. Common sense says just wait a year or so and it will be in reach and I don't have to eat ramen for lunch everyday. The S85D I would own until it literally fell apart.

Then something like this shows up and I end up trying to justify it. P85 for 66K!!!

85 kWh Performance Model S P25831 | Tesla Motors
Well i would look it at this way:

Are you going to keep the car longer than 8 years? If so, i wouldnt worry about thr resale value. If you plan to upgrade within 4 years, i would hold off and wait it out.

I know the P85 would fit fone for me for the next 8 years. My only concerns is the build quailty and the lack of awd. The earlier models tend to be worst in build quailty. The other is awd which i plan to use on snow and what not for better traction and control. This is definitely evident when i drow the s85d in the rain.

While some who argue the autopilot is worth the upgrade, i say, it is a model s and i know i wil want to drive the car not let it drive itself. Where is the fun in that?

Living in New England I would want the AWD just in case and always been a big fan of Knight Rider, I want the autopilot features. Common sense says just wait a year or so and it will be in reach and I don't have to eat ramen for lunch everyday. The S85D I would own until it literally fell apart.

Then something like this shows up and I end up trying to justify it. P85 for 66K!!!

85 kWh Performance Model S P25831 | Tesla Motors

actually that is one of the more expensive P85 IMO because of the lack of options. The others are dual chargers and panoramic roof, etc. I am waiting for a very well equipped P85 at $58K or a very well equipped S85 for $50K. Otherwise, I'm waiting it out for the CPO S85D.

Well, I tried and now with my privacy set, here's what we did about a month ago:

Ordered CPO 5/7 P85 see details with 50k miles.
Took delivery 5/18 after the wonderful tour and 45 minute walkthrough in Fremont (only 6 miles from our home)
~$74K out the door with taxes/registration etc..

Tesla info.jpg

Well, I tried and now with my privacy set, here's what we did about a month ago:

Ordered CPO 5/7 P85 see details with 50k miles.
Took delivery 5/18 after the wonderful tour and 45 minute walkthrough in Fremont (only 6 miles from our home)
~$74K out the door with taxes/registration etc..

View attachment 83348

That is pretty much what I did at pretty much the same price. In 5 years, when it is paid off and I am ready to trade for a new one, I expect the car to be worth about $30 k (so about $600-700/mo depreciation). That is much better than the original owner who ate approx $43k in depreciation in 24 months (almost, $1.8 k a month, gulp). Those of you who are worried about depreciation on CPO vehicles may go the rest of your lives not having a Model S if you don't figure out a way to get past that. As far as money goes, when you die, you can't take it with you.

Fortunate enough to not owe anything on it. My 6 year old son has claimed it when he turns 16 ten years from now. Still, for the quality of the vehicle and the way Tesla stands behind each and every car, a CPO is a great way to go to get into the best EV ever made.